No announcement yet.

Wii Weather Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would think that the channel asking if the current time and date was correct would be a hint that you are not in the US. It seems completely random to restrict this to only regions your country is set to, since I'm sure it has all the same data in each version.

Comment

Just downloaded it now

It's great to be able to get the information for ... uhhh.... the beautiful weather we get here in Rio De Janeiro....

plus the globe is neat

Any UK owners, can you tell us if the UK version also gets its info from Weathernews or is it another provider?
      Last edited by Lyris; 19-12-2006, 18:30.

Comment

Yep, the info comes from them.

Comment

Anyone tried that place in northern Japan? -11C ffs! It says -5C later int he week, with a little sunny icon o.o

Comment

My download only took a couple of minutes. The channel itself is really cute and I quite enjoyed playing with the globe. It also had Bournemouth as a location which is basically the same as Poole (where I live) since they've more or less grown into one urban sprawl now. I think I'll probably stick to using the BBC's postcode-based, 24 hour forecast most of the time since knowing the weather in advance is important for my job, and the BBC one seems extremely accurate, but all the same the channel makes a nice little widget and I wouldn't rule out flicking onto it now and then.

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            It would be very cool if they implemented it in games in some way.
            I'm sure we'll see this before long. Reminds me of when Metropolis Street Racer (nee Project Gotham) came out for the DC, and, woo, had real-time day or night effects in each city!

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
            Anyone tried that place in northern Japan? -11C ffs! It says -5C later int he week, with a little sunny icon o.o
            In the old days the Japanese used to call their wives 'person from the North'. And it's not very nice up there - co-incidence?

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
            Any UK owners, can you tell us if the UK version also gets its info from Weathernews or is it another provider?
            Yes it's Weathernews. I think there's a press release on wii.com saying they're Nintendo's 'weather partner' or some such, which I read to mean worldwide.
            Last edited by MattyD; 19-12-2006, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
              Just downloaded it now

It's great to be able to get the information for ... uhhh.... the beautiful weather we get here in Rio De Janeiro....

plus the globe is neat

Yeah, will be great if I ever go to Brazil!

It's a neat little app I guess, as if Google Earth had been invented 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                I'm sure we'll see this before long. Reminds me of when Metropolis Street Racer (nee Project Gotham) came out for the DC, and, woo, had real-time day or night effects in each city!
                Your copy must have been the rereleased version because my copy of M:SR always had Tokyo in darkness.

It took 15 minutes for me too download because of my rubbish broadband connection and because Windows update had decided to download IE7 at the same time but is very nice little feature to play with. Now for News to be released and I can get rid of the last placeholder channel image and have all my Wii channels in full colour.

Comment

Originally posted by ryodi View Post

It took 15 minutes for me too download because of my rubbish broadband connection and because Windows update had decided to download IE7 at the same time but is very nice little feature to play with. Now for News to be released and I can get rid of the last placeholder channel image and have all my Wii channels in full colour.

I chucked the news channel all the way across into the 4th Channel "page" until it gets used so all the channels on page 1 are usable and nice looking

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                    Reminds me of when Metropolis Street Racer (nee Project Gotham) came out for the DC, and, woo, had real-time day or night effects in each city!
                    This is hands down the best little feature in a game ever, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciated it!

Comment

Originally posted by ryodi View Post
                      Your copy must have been the rereleased version because my copy of M:SR always had Tokyo in darkness.
                      Sounds like your copy was working fine- whenever you were playing it in the UK, it *was* night time in Tokyo

Comment

Just given this a quick go - it's pretty cool spinning the globe round fast

Comment

It was a bug (the permanent Tokto nightfall, among many others) in case you aren't being funny.

Comment

Apparently Madden already uses the weather channel to determine the weather in the game.

Comment

quite a nice feature, but pretty much never going to be used by me again

Comment

Strange really isn't it.

Nintendo: We're not bothering with media capabilities in our consoles as we're all about the games. But here's a weather channel.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X