Sega is BACK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega is BACK!

At the ATEI show today, SEGA was there. And they are back on top form it seems. They demoed a load of games seen before, such as the 2 player Out Run cabinet and HOTD4. But they also showed off by my count at least FIVE new light gun games. And here was me thinking the light gun genre was pretty much dead.

I had a go of a couple of them, with one in particular standing out (too spicy, more in a first play thread). Over the last couple of years, sega's arcade out put has been rather mute but they seem to want to play with the big boys again!

I'm not so convinced... trust me though, I'd like to be

I've liked their presence this year, but there's a couple of points of concern. I can't imagine ANYWHERE in the UK getting that full Lindbergh Outrun setup; the whole 'driver switch' thing seemed to just confuse most people too. One guy I know said he saw moments of slowdown too? Seems a bit backwards seeing as if anything it should be ironing things out, but perhaps it's not as great a port as it should be.

Not quite sure I counted 5 new lightgun games? There was one 'extreme hunting' thing I discarded, but other than that I can remember 3: Too Spicy (imo looks pretty turd), Let's go Safari!, and Ghost Squad, which I imagine to be the best of the bunch.

It's nice to see they're really going all out for pushing lots of really new titles for the Lindbergh (especially when the non-dedicabs are so tasty), but I'm still waiting for the game that sells the system to hit

Comment

Was After Burner Climax at the show?
      I really want that and HOTD4 on 360.

Also what exactly is the new Lindberg Outrun?
      I don't see what the point of it is unless its all new tracks, it also seems strange for them produce another Outrun after the recent Chihiro entrys.
      Last edited by DANGEROUS; 25-01-2007, 02:58.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        ...Let's go Safari!...
        Is that related to Jambo Safari? I loved that game...

Comment

Originally posted by DANGEROUS View Post
          I don't see what the point of it is unless its all new tracks, it also seems strange for them produce another Outrun after the recent Chihiro entrys.
          Isn't it just Outrun SP in High Definition with a few tweaks? I just hope it suggests a 360 version could be on the way, seein as tho it's looking increasingly likely that Coast 2 Coast will never run on a 360

I'm assuming that Safari game is a hunting game set in Africa if it's a light gun game. Jambo really was tops though.

Comment

Was After Burner Climax at the show?
            I really want that and HOTD4 on 360.

Don't expect to see a port of Climax onthe 360, its far too simple to be a 360 game , its would drop like a stone at retail , more so at £50. As for HOTD IV wells its has been looked into but saldy the Light Gun and High Def TV means there's not much chance of it going to any machine , bar maybe the Wii .

As for OutRun is just a way to make more money ,its as simple as that
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 25-01-2007, 12:57.

Comment

Sega have never been dead in the arcade arena (imo).

Where they're dead is in the home gaming space, which for a non-multiplayer gamer like myself, makes me increasingly bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Don't expect to see a port of Climax onthe 360, its far too simple to be a 360 game , its would drop like a stone at retail , more so at ?50. As for HOTD IV wells its has been looked into but saldy the Light Gun and High Def TV means there's not much chance of it going to any machine , bar maybe the Wii .

As for OutRun is just a way to make more money ,its as simple as that
                Re-Climax, thats what they said about Outrun2 on Xbox that it was too simple a game to work as retail software. HOTD4- It was reported that it was destined to be converted to the PS3 in GamesTM #52. I've not seen that reported elsewhere but if it was a PS3 game, it would be likley that it would come to 360 also. As for Wii it could not run it.

Comment

Re-Climax, thats what they said about Outrun2 on Xbox that it was too simple a game to work as retail software. HOTD4- It was reported that it was destined to be converted to the PS3 in GamesTM #52. I've not seen that reported elsewhere but if it was a PS3 game, it would be likley that it would come to 360 also. As for Wii it could not run it.
                  AB Climax is just as simple as Space Harrier, I game like that would have no chance at retail , more so at the ?50 standard price point . With Out Run one could add in Live modes, time attacks , and build on the Heart Attack mode, there's none of that in AF its a simple blaster .With racers Time Attcak mode can really add a lot (I still play Rally in time Attack for crying out loud) plus sales of Out Run II porve there is no market for simple Arcade games anymore saldy (nobody more upset than me over that)

HOTD IV I wouldn't get you're hopes at either , the lack of a Light Gun for High Def is holding that back . The Wii could handle the game in sprit if nothing else though

Comment

Climax should come as a bonus with any new Outrun for the PS3 or 360.

Comment

Surely infared light guns should be easily possible without being too expensive, the movement technology wouldn't need to be as advanced as the Wii remote as you don't need back and forwards motions.

Comment

You means guns that work like Wii remote? No thanks, I'd rather guns that work by line of sight to the screen.

Comment

You'd probably need two sensor bars (top and bottom) at least (if not four), which would probably mean most wouldn't use it, but I think that's the best way of replicating it.

Comment

Working...
                          X