Shortage of Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
    UK and USA are quite different animals when it comes to Wii marketing*. And I can count over 40 occurences from Penny Arcade and GAF forums, where poster has boasted how his relatives are buying Wii after Wii Sports match.

* They even had goddamn Oprah and Dr. Phil playing with Wii
    Yep I can add to that, I know at least 5 people who have never given a damn about games previously who have bought or are actively looking for a Wii.

The months after a launch are always barren, take into account a whole new control scheme thrown into the mix it is no surprise the meaty games aint here yet. If you aren't getting enjoyment from your Wii then sell up and buy back in when more games are available.

Edit: it's the DS all over again - now the quality games are hitting all the time.
    Last edited by parkinho; 01-02-2007, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
      If you aren't getting enjoyment from your Wii then sell up and buy back in when more games are available.
      Exactly. That is perfectly logical and good thing to do. You probably can get you money back even with interest if you use Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
        UK and USA are quite different animals when it comes to Wii marketing*. And I can count over 40 occurences from Penny Arcade and GAF forums, where poster has boasted how his relatives are buying Wii after Wii Sports match.

* They even had goddamn Oprah and Dr. Phil playing with Wii
        And we had Richard and Judy? I don't think your explanations account for the UK shortage. Unless I'm mistaken Zelda (it's been out of stock at Play.com for weeks) is the best selling title on the Wii
        and that's hardly casual gamer fare.

Comment

At £180 with a game, the whole 'early adopters market' thing goes out the window. The only reason we ever have hardcore early adopters is because of the normal practice of raping the fans at launch with £300+ prices. Good on Nintendo for not doing it.

This is resulting in an immediate 'casual gamer' interest - proven to me by the queues I saw outside game earlier this week (20+ mothers, suits, chavs, kids - a real mix) all there on the rumour that more stock was coming that day.

Newspapers, tv shows, magazines and of course the people that own them - they all rave about the wii, at £180 with Wii Sports....of course there's a shortage!

Even my aunt loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
            And we had Richard and Judy? I don't think your explanations account for the UK shortage. Unless I'm mistaken Zelda (it's been out of stock at Play.com for weeks) is the best selling title on the Wii
            and that's hardly casual gamer fare.
            Casuals get well along with only Wii Sports and Wii Play. Which, of course, can be worrysome trend on the longer run.

Comment

Originally posted by zipper View Post
              At ?180 with a game, the whole 'early adopters market' thing goes out the window. The only reason we ever have hardcore early adopters is because of the normal practice of raping the fans at launch with ?300+ prices. Good on Nintendo for not doing it.

This is resulting in an immediate 'casual gamer' interest - proven to me by the queues I saw outside game earlier this week (20+ mothers, suits, chavs, kids - a real mix) all there on the rumour that more stock was coming that day.

Newspapers, tv shows, magazines and of course the people that own them - they all rave about the wii, at ?180 with Wii Sports....of course there's a shortage!

Even my aunt loves it.
              Some would argue that with it not being a huge leap from the GC and it being fairly closely priced to the core Xbox360 that it isn't that reasonably priced.

Comment

I love how Wii threads always turn into knife fights

Comment

If people don't think the Wii is good value then they shouldn't buy it. Simple. To me I think the Wii is fantastic ! IF Nintendo brought out the Wii control system for the original Cube we all know it would have just faded in to the land of long forgot accessories.

I commend Nintendo for their move and happily pay the asking price (not that bad here in Japan). At the moment my fave Wii titles are Excite Trucks and Zelda. I also have Dragonball, GT Pro series (use the Dpad for that since I think the wheel control is last), and a few others. However I'm delighted to be able to play Game Cube games on the Wii without crappy emulation like other consoles. Got F-Zero GX, Bio Hazard 4, Bio Hazard 0 and P.N.03.

Wii is a fantastic bit of hardware that's well worth the price but that's just my opinion. Each to their own I say.

Yakumo

Comment

Amazon currently have a few Wii's in stock.

link-me-do.

EDIT: All gone
                    Last edited by RetroEd; 02-02-2007, 11:22. Reason: sold out!

Comment

Well, I have just picked one up in the local Asda, also picked up component cables, classic controller, extra wiimote, Zelda (of course) and all came to around £300 (about the price of a 360). But for me to get my extra controller, wireless network card and 2 games put my 360 at about £400, so there is not comparison between the Wii's price and a core 360 pack.

However, after taking it around my mates all we did was play wii sports for a couple of hours and haven't had as much fun in gaming for a while. It sure did put a big old smile on our faces. He is now looking at getting one, even though he should be buying laptop!!

Even though I love my 360 and applaud what MS are doing with Live (the best way to play multiplayer FPS games), it will still never be the same as you and 3 friends all in the same room, laughing and moaning when you win and lose at a game. And that feeling seems even more enforced with the physical element.

I was sceptical about Wii, but it has a refined charm and fun factor that just makes you smile and it is something everyone can get into - seems Nintendo's strategy is working.

Comment

Working...
                      X