Searching for coop CRPGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for coop CRPGs

I'm looking for a relatively rare breed of console games, namely RPG or Action-RPG games for consoles that can be played in a cooperative multiplayer mode.
    I already know about Secret of Mana 1-2, Legend Of Mana, Secret Of Evermore (via patch), Final Fantasy VI, Tales of Destiny, Tales Of Eternia (Destiny II in US), Tales of Rebirth and Baldur's Gate: DA 1-2.

More suggestions?

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on PS2? It's basically Dark Alliance with Sci fi.

Comment

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC, versions for DS and Wii to come).

Comment

Zelda: Four Swords GC or the Four Swords sidegame in LTTP: GBA

There aren't a great deal of them out there...

Comment

I think blaze and blade on the psx had multiplayer.

Comment

I think you can with the original Star Ocean, but I might be imagining things. Star Ocean TTEOD has a 2 player battle thingy me bob.

And Arc the Lad 2 has that Monster Arena and i'm quite sure you can do 2-player battles there. You might even be able to in the main game.

And there is also Tales of Phantasia, in fact more or less all the Tales games have 2 player options.

Don't think there's anything that beats SD 2 & 3 though.

- Never player Rebirth by the way, is it good?

Comment

You can play Valkyrie Profile2: Silmera in 2 player mode, battle scenes only though.

Its a great game, although you would really need a good co-op buddy as the battle system is pretty combo based.

Comment

Tales of symphonia lets you do battles in 4 player.
                Obviously FF: Crystal Chronicles too

Comment

Are the X-Men Legends counted as RPGs?

If so, them and Marvel Ultimate Alliance as well i guess but i haven't gotten around to trying that one yet

Comment

Thx to everyone, there really aren't that many out there it seems -.-
                    I'll check out some of the ones mentioned. I'm especially interested in Blaze & Blade, as it seems to be a 4 player coop multiplayer Action-RPG (so exactly what I'm looking for). Plus, it has been released in Europe and can be aquired relatively cheap^^

Btw I just imagined how awesome it would be, if some of Falcom's Action-RPGs would support Multiplayer. I mean in Legend of Xanadu you run around with a buddy, it would've been such an easy task to allow a second player to take over control -.-

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
                    I think you can with the original Star Ocean, but I might be imagining things.
                    The original Star Ocean? That would be awesome, could anyone confirm this?

Star Ocean TTEOD has a 2 player battle thingy me bob.

And Arc the Lad 2 has that Monster Arena and i'm quite sure you can do 2-player battles there. You might even be able to in the main game
                    I did know about Star Ocean TTEOT, but It's not what I'm interested in, cause afaik it's not coop, or can you fight together against enemies?

And there is also Tales of Phantasia, in fact more or less all the Tales games have 2 player options.
                    Ah, you mean the PS1 version I suppose, cause the SNES and GBA versions don't have multiplayer afair.
                    Don't know about the PSP version though, but I'll wait until the translation for the PS1 version is finished.
                    Yes, there are only a few home console Tales games that don't support Multiplayer, the only ones I'm aware of are Tales of Legendia and the first Phantasia.

- Never player Rebirth by the way, is it good?
                    I only played a an hour or so, but I liked what I saw. The Battle system is fast, as are the loading times and everything has this old-school kind of look to it (although it was a bit too colorful and flashy for my taste). I found all the menus and possibilities a little overwhelming, so if you don't speak japanese (like me) you have to decide if you want to play a game, where you have to constantly refer to a FAQ, which could get a really drawn out and cumbersome affair.
                    But if you don't mind that, you could spend your money worse, seeing as it's not that expensive atm (30$ @ playasia).
                    Last edited by Ryo Saeba; 08-02-2007, 11:38.

Comment

The already mentioned Zelda and FF games for the GC will set you back a fair bit though (1 GC-GBA link cable and 1 GBA each)

Comment

it's not too bad now you can get GBAs for under a tenner though link cables are like a quid too, still more expensive than your average game if you want 4 player though.

Comment

Yeah, these are not on top of my list. I only have a GBMicro, so I'd have to mod a Gamecube to GBA cable first^^'

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post

Btw I just imagined how awesome it would be, if some of Falcom's Action-RPGs would support Multiplayer. I mean in Legend of Xanadu you run around with a buddy, it would've been such an easy task to allow a second player to take over control -.-
                            Havn't played Xanadu but it would be great for any of the newer Ys games. Might even rival SOM.

Sorry about Star Ocean TTEOT - I went of on a tangent thinking of RPG's with multi-player modes, not just co-op. I'm pretty sure it was only a vs mode in this one.

It is the PS1 version of ToP that supports 2-player, I thought I remembered the SNES version doing so as well, but I guess not - the PS1 version definitely does though. And the PSP version should as well as that'll just be a port of the PS1 remake (with some new features I hope).

And the original Star Ocean doesn't seem to either, after all. I've been having a look and can't seem to find a 2-player option. At least there's not one in the menu's, maybe you have to press start on the second controller during battle or something - might be worth a try, i'll give it a go later. Sorry about that.

Cheers for the write-up on Rebirth by the way. I might give it a try, although I always start these Jap RPG's and then give up, can't get past the language barrier.

Comment

Magicoal on the PC-Engine CD.

There's an obscure one for you

Comment

Working...
                              X