Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is the SNES emulation? (SMW related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the SNES emulation? (SMW related)

It's been a long time since I've played Super Mario World, so it could just be my memory, but I'm encountering quite a lot of bugs in the VC version (US) which I don't remember being there at all.

Not the best photo of it, but I'm getting glitching in the ghost houses:

(check the right - parts of them are randomly turning solid white)

I've fallen through the floor on numerous occasions:

And I'm getting serious slowdown problems in the star world, and later levels. The framerate just suddenly drops to single digits. Scrolling in some levels isn't smooth (Star World #2 stutters a lot for example - the one with the blue yoshi underwater) and even the spotlight fade thing at the end of that level doesn't run at full speed.

Was the game like this on an actual SNES or have Nintendo done a terrible job on the emulation? I certainly don't remember it being like this.

That does seem unusual. Does this happen to your other VC games?

Comment

Sonic has corruption at times too (usually when you have invincibility) but that's about it. I know other people that have had it happen on Sonic, but no-one I know is very far into Mario.

Comment

Not directly related, but apparently an update has appeared for Military Madness - so it's possible (If not probable) that any major flaws with the emulation will be fixed.

Comment

I haven't fallen through the floor yet, but I noticed the same corruption on the Ghost house.

Comment

Not experienced any problems with the games I've downloaded to my US Wii yet and that includes SMW. Strange.

Comment

I thought the scrolling on the underwater levels on my US Wii seemed a little... off... I'll have to dig out my SNES for comparison.

Comment

I've noticed a few very rare sound issues with the SNES emulation. Nothing serious, just a few sounds which aren't 100% accurate.

Beyond that though it's the best emulation I've seen, but that's how it should be when you have total access to these old systems' hardware details.

Comment

I've noticed some sound glitching too, but it's only been very minor. Best emulation you've seen though? Isn't the PC stuff like ZSNES better? (been a while since I used it, but I thought they were perfect now)

Comment

Well I am having no issue's with my jap console that you are experiencing, so I would say this is an individual problem, as I have played Mario to death on it and not suffered one glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewfee View Post
                      I've noticed some sound glitching too, but it's only been very minor. Best emulation you've seen though? Isn't the PC stuff like ZSNES better? (been a while since I used it, but I thought they were perfect now)
                      Well, it depends on your point of view. The VC emulation is so accurate you get all the same slow down and sprite flickering as you would on a real SNES/MD/PCE. ZSNES emulates a SNES without those issues.

As I say, that might be a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just impressed by how accurate the VC is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                        Well, it depends on your point of view. The VC emulation is so accurate you get all the same slow down and sprite flickering as you would on a real SNES/MD/PCE. ZSNES emulates a SNES without those issues.

As I say, that might be a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just impressed by how accurate the VC is.
                        Agreed, so am I. It's superb emulation on very, very tricky hardware to emulate on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post

I suppose you could say it's "good" emulation, but I don't remember having any of these problems running on an actual SNES, which is why I was hoping someone on here would be able to check it.

Sprite flickering/corruption and sound glitching, even if it is "accurate" isn't a good thing in my opinion, especially if PC emulators don't have that problem and can play the game as the developer intended. (because I'm sure none of them wanted that in their games)

Comment

Working...
                          X