AVI playback on PS3 petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVI playback on PS3 petition

Petition going on over here for avi/divx playback on the PS3. Can't hurt to sign it? (if you're interested!)

Unfortunately, avi is just a file type, and supporting proper video playback would require Sony including divx/xvid etc etc codecs into their firmware as well.

Just get a media center PC, or install Linux on the PS3

Comment

Or do as I do use ps3 video convertor 3 to convert the files to a playable format on the ps3 you can queue the files and its just one click and leave them to convert themselves with no complicated setup and a 100% success rate (I tried a few convertors and this was the easiest and produced the best quality).

I just then usb a usb stick to transfer them or just play them directly from the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by in5ane View Post
        install Linux on the PS3
        Is Linux on PS3 any good as far as media goes?

Comment

Running the files on Linux is not quite the same a as running them natively from the XMB.

The more file types the PS3 incorporates, the better it is for users.

I'm holding out for FLAC too.

Comment

I've a better idea: wait for the homebrew community to come up with an exploit for the PS3. We can then run all kinds of files under the sun (including the beloved ISOs)

Comment

agreed, linux is fiddly compared with the ease of just running them from the xmb, but isn't it pretty much given that the ps3 will never support divx/xvid - something to do with them being hacked codecs or the like?

same reason you probably wouldn't see the same happening with the 360.

ideally a homebrew app as good as xbmc would be just great, but the availability of linux from the off is as good a stop-gap as any.

although it's hardly user-friendly

Comment

heh, its designed for technical people thats why

Comment

Running linux on something that's supposed is just no fun :-P Look at the indifferance towards PS3 linux compared to the insanity Xbox Linux caused.

Comment

PS3 Video9 makes converting vids for the PS3 so easy that im not even bothered about not being able to play AVI now. Playback of converted files is also much better on the PS3 then the 360.

Comment

What settings is everyone using? I converted the R&C trailer for it and, while it ran OK, I did seem to lose some lines at each side (Noticeable mainly because of a cropped watermark).

Comment

There are more important things we should be petitioning for. USB controller support for PS2 games (VSHG with fighters) being the main one.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
                          Or do as I do use ps3 video convertor 3 to convert the files to a playable format on the ps3 you can queue the files and its just one click and leave them to convert themselves with no complicated setup and a 100% success rate (I tried a few convertors and this was the easiest and produced the best quality).

I just then usb a usb stick to transfer them or just play them directly from the stick.
                          This would allow me to use WMV, Real player, Quick time and MP3s on the internet browser? Is it a free download?

What cheap memory device can I get to make this work?

Comment

You can play them from a burned DVDR too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                              What cheap memory device can I get to make this work?
                              I just installed a web server on my laptop and transfer them across the network through the browser. Win!

Comment

Working...
                              X