X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK View Post
    You tried it ?

achievement ?
    well, first level. But if it's arcade perfik it'll be the same on all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
      Number 2 on the NES it was very good... if I remember correctly.
      You do. It kicked ass. So did the soundtrack.

Comment

This game is just how I remember it - Utter pish. Its popularity has always mystified me!

I've never been a fan of it, even back in the day.

Comment

Off to download this now, I spent every lunchtime of my 6th form days playing this at the local chippy! Used to be able to just about complete it in the hour if we ran there and ran back

Comment

Just played this on co-op and it was unplayably laggy, eventually it just gave up. We both tried to host aswell. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Comment

Bring on Double Dragon II I say

Comment

Just had this auto download for me (first time - never done that before!) and gave it a whirl. The title tune brought back great memories of playing it on my Gameboy. Then it all went down hill. Really didn't like it from then on unfortunately. Used to love it! Alas, not for me this one.

Comment

Played this through tonight, I think it's absolutely brilliant. The only downside is the achievements.

I think they could have been a bit more imaginative / harder. E.g: Throw final boss five times, Get x number of Knife Kills, Pickup all weapons in one life, 1 credit game without using elbow, throw x number of (or finish game without losing any) baddies down pit / off cliff / in water etc. I dunno, regardless it's brilliant!

Love the fact that the slowdown is retained.

Comment

I was playing this last night and thought it was good. It's only 400 points, and I remember paying around the equivilent in real money to buy the c64 version back when I was a nipper, and in comparism that version sucked! No gripes about the value here

Comment

Originally posted by Widegoat View Post
                      Love the fact that the slowdown is retained.
                      But is it enough?

Don't get me, its Double Dragon therefore great!

But I am a tiny bit disappointed overall I must be honest. The enhanced mode is dire, the enemy sprites (esp their faces) look nothing like the characters should, and although it is generally much smoother and less pixellated, it just isn't how DD should be.

The original arcade version isn't spot on either. The remixed title tune is a big no imo. The slowdown is not as prevalent as the true arcade. A couple of sound effects seem off too, although the hits sounds we all know and love seem perfect. As such is just doesn't feel quite right.

Now I suppose there's a dose of nostalgia kicking in. DD certainly has an important place in gaming history, but it also has an important place in my personal gaming history. This version doesn't quite live up to the feel I know so well and love. Sure, I'll play it loads, its Double Dragon after all. But I can't help the feeling that this is one game that should only ever be played hunched over a cab.

Oh, and I agree with Wildegoat that the achievements are a bit fluff tbh. Usually I'd rinse an arcade title I really dig for the the full 200 (or at least try to..damn you contra!). This game I'm just going to enjoy playing.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                        Oh, and I agree with Wildegoat that the achievements are a bit fluff tbh. Usually I'd rinse an arcade title I really dig for the the full 200 (or at least try to..damn you contra!). This game I'm just going to enjoy playing.
                        Yeah - the thing is they are so easy, you'll get them all anyway. I got all 200 points last night - in about three play throughs. [/boast]

I wasn't going to bother with them at all - but I after playing through once - I realised I had got loads, and thought I'd finish them off.

Will still be going back to this a lot, though!

Comment

Don't like the enhanced graphics, makes it look like a Flash game.

Played it on original instead. It's only 400 points mind so i'll probably buy it when a mate is round and rinse it in one night!

Comment

Someone add 'Jimmy Blanka' if they want a co-op game on this tonight. I just played it through with some crazy Canadian guy and think I have my elbowing technique down again after 15 years of not playing this!!

Comment

If my internet is back up (shoddy sodding Wannadoo rubbish) I'm up for this. Yet to coop this so need the achievements!

Comment

It's a pity XBLA games are limited to 200 achievement points (assume that's true). Otherwise there could have been a cool 500 for finishing the game without using the elbow.

Comment

Working...
                                X