Mobile phone games in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phone games in Japan

After reading about Parasite Eve 3 in exclusive devolpment for the DoCoMo platform, any good sites for information, what is available in Japan etc for mobile platforms?

...also, in general about capabilities on a technical level for mobile platforms?

Thanks

Not really sure exactly what the situation is with games but it is big business here - a lot of games seem to be pretty basic (brain training style games are extremely popular as can be expected) or remakes of old 8/16-bit games but phones are seem to be at least as powerful as GBA - and they handle 3D pretty well too - and a lot of people seem to not bother with DS/PSP because they say mobile games are good enough.

My friends brother doesn't have a handheld so is really into mobile games (although he did say he'd buy a PSP rather than a DS.. shock!!) and mostly plays RPGs but he also has things like Tekken and Taiko no Tatsujin which I had a go on and they were pretty good. I just have Lumines on mine (came preloaded as it's a Sony phone) but don't play it as it only has 3 levels unless you buy extra packs.. besides which I do have a DS and PSP anyway so don't really want to play games on my phone even if it does have a pretty large screen.

The mobile networks also put out new phones very frequently and with the new wave of phones just coming out they are trying to latch onto the popularity of the Wii by incorporating motion sensors. One of the first games I noticed they're launching them with is Katamari so I'm tempted to check it out..

Comment

Imagination Technology who designed the graphics chip for the Dreamcast seem to be one of the market leaders. They're currently licensing their graphics chips for handhelds, to the various chip and phone manufacturers of which pretty much all the large phone makers have signed up.

They've also got loads of technical stuff on their website at www.imgtec.com

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info...

So Brain Training and DS graphics...

Comment

Working...
        X