No announcement yet.

Announced, Rumoured or Registered Future PSN Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I made myself very clear in my response, apologies for that.

With games, if you're outputting a HD resolution/refresh rate it will do as HD resolutions don't rely on the PAL/NTSC standards but it won't work in SD.

There's also a similar issue with some blu-rays.

Many of the BBC's natural history blu-rays are correctly mastered in 1080/50i due to the BBC finding that a 1080p compatible refresh rate just looks unnatural when using the longer lenses which are required for this type of work. I personally don't notice it as much with games as I do with DVDs though.

Even though the BBC blu-rays not region locked they just bring up a black screen on a US PS3 due to the lack of 50Hz output even though this is a HD format which is a little annoying as we have a US and UK PS3 in different rooms.

So with 50Hz games in HD the PS3 will covert them to NTSC friendly refresh rate but you do get the usual side effects of doing that and it won't output them in 50Hz. Trying to output in SD/60Hz just won't work for a 50Hz game without the conversion as only PAL PS3s support 50z output.

With 50Hz blu-rays, they won't work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Phar View Post
      My Japanese 60GB plays 50hz PS1 titles just fine.
      Cheers Phar good to know.

Originally posted by JP View Post
      I don't think I made myself very clear in my response, apologies for that.

With games, if you're outputting a HD resolution/refresh rate it will do as HD resolutions don't rely on the PAL/NTSC standards but it won't work in SD.

There's also a similar issue with some blu-rays.

Many of the BBC's natural history blu-rays are correctly mastered in 1080/50i due to the BBC finding that a 1080p compatible refresh rate just looks unnatural when using the longer lenses which are required for this type of work. I personally don't notice it as much with games as I do with DVDs though.

Even though the BBC blu-rays not region locked they just bring up a black screen on a US PS3 due to the lack of 50Hz output even though this is a HD format which is a little annoying as we have a US and UK PS3 in different rooms.

So with 50Hz games in HD the PS3 will covert them to NTSC friendly refresh rate but you do get the usual side effects of doing that and it won't output them in 50Hz. Trying to output in SD/60Hz just won't work for a 50Hz game without the conversion as only PAL PS3s support 50z output.

With 50Hz blu-rays, they won't work at all.
      Thanks for the in depth explanation JP. The Blu-Ray issue sounds a nightmare I need to be careful. MY Blu-Ray Transformers and Alien box set work o.k but will have to check the back of the boxes and be careful with those 50Hz Blu-Rays.

So the game will output in 6oHz if I download the PAL version to my Japanese PS3? Sorry for all the confusion. I found you can also easily get digital PSN cards from Japan-codes.com and Play-asia too so that's good.
      Last edited by JU!; 05-03-2011, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
        Cheers Phar good to know.
        No they'll still play at 50hz unfortunately, thats why I only buy the exclusives like Syndicate Wars from the EU PSN, everything else I stick to the US and Japan stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Phar View Post
          No they'll still play at 50hz unfortunately, thats why I only buy the exclusives like Syndicate Wars from the EU PSN, everything else I stick to the US and Japan stores.
          Thanks again. Can't wait for Rige Racer Type 4. They just need to release Shenmue now

Comment

RRT4 is on PSN THIS WEEK in the US!

Comment

I know that it was never really a favourite with many Square fans but I absolutely loved The Legend of Mana (I was also a big fan of the SaGa games so make of that what you will) and it's just been announced for release this week in the US.

Hopefully Chrono Cross isn't too far away now.

Comment

Fireburst

Coming in April for the rough equivalent of around ?6, looks surprisingly good

Comment

Square Enix have announced that remastered PS3 and PSP versions of Final Fantasy V are in development for the PSN. Not many details apart from that they contain "all-new CG cinematic sequences" .

It's a decent game without anything new being added so I'd happily pay for the PS3 version....PS3 versions of Secret of Mana & Chrono Trigger next please nice people.

Comment

Where have they announced it's remastered? It's just the PSone port released as a PSone classic.

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.

Comment

Not to mention the PSone versions are terrible, terrible ports, the biggest offence being the long loading times. Easily the worst of any version available.

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                        Where have they announced it's remastered? It's just the PSone port released as a PSone classic.

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/en...tation-network
                        No idea, just passing on what I'd read here as well as other sites. I did suspect that it was just going to be the PS1 version when they mention that it was both PS3 and PSP compatible but there was no mention of that in the article.

Comment

That article is terrible

This will be the first time FFV will be made available in the U.S since being bundled with FFVI on the Final Fantasy Anthology PS1 compilation.
                          Did they forget about the awesome Final Fantasy V Advance then?

Comment

I have mentioned this here before when it was first announced, Galaga Legends DX has now been rated for release (360 also) so it shouldn't be too far away now.

New trailer, it's worth watching the HD version.

Last edited by JP; 11-04-2011, 12:09.

Comment

EDIT: never mind, made a mistake.

Comment

US users buying SOCOM get access to the Resistance 3 beta. EU PSN users get in via Plus:

Comment

Working...
                                X