Parasite Eve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasite Eve

Yet another fantastic Square game that never got a UK release. Playing this for the first time was a fantastic experience, one that mixed a great battle mechanic system with a plot which to this day remains at the pinnacle of RPG games.

Science was the obvious influence in this plot, and with clever use of the fantastic cut-scenes, and in-game conversations, a believable and comprehensive plot was unravelled, with unrivalled FMV sequences on the PS1 at that time.

The moody, dark setting of New York was a perfect locale to emphasise the desparate race against time to track down the elusive Eve. With an eerie Statue of Liberty in the intro, the scene was set for this unforgettable foray into Survival Horror of sorts for Square.

Carnegie Hall was my favourite part, anyone else have the pleasure of playing through this?

well I started it, then found out my disc I was sent was too scartched to play it properly, leavin me with ****e loading times, and jumpy fmv/soundtrack so decided to leave it til I get a better copy, start was fantastic tho.

Comment

er.... this was released in the UK, if im not mistaken.....

Comment

Parasite Eve 2 was, the original was a USA/JAP only release.

Comment

I remember this one.

One of the first games I picked up when I had my PSOne chipped, I knew absolutly nothing about it but bought out of interest, fortunatly I had bought an entirely engrossing and complex RPG.

The whole thing just oozed style ( as you would expect from Squaresoft ), and the beginning scene in the Opera house was breath-taking for the time. The combat system took me a little while to get used to, and while I felt random encounters didn't match up to the high quality of the rest of the release it was quite well implimented.

I loved the Mitrocondria plot, it was difficult to keep track of at times but I far preferred that over being patronized and walked slowly through it, I did a little research on Mitrocondria afterward and, unsurprisingly, found the subject frighteningly complex.

Yep, great game. I never did defeat Eve on the Statue of Liberty though.

Comment

It was the first game I got when my PS1 was chipped

The mitochondia plot was fascinating, and balanced the fine line between being over-complex, and interesting. Many Square plots can leave you completely baffled as to what is going on, throwing plot twist after plot twist at the player. Parasite Eve slowed that down, so the player had time for each twist and turn to sink in, before being placed into the next one. Fantastic pacing of plot, which sadly the next installment didn't have.

Character wise, I can't quite remember his name, but the policeman with you, (could be called Daniel, my memory is hazy was the total polar opposite to Aya Brea (who is so fit, she's still my wallpaper and reminiscent of Barret from FF7 in ways.

Still never finished the sequel, should really boot it up again one day...

Comment

i really liked this a lot, one of the games i got my ps chipped for too, along with xenogears.

the way you could create your own weapons was cool, and the battles were much more interesting than normal turn based stuff. Made fights a lot more engaging, instead of just sat there pressing one button over and over.

some amazing, and freaky fmv as well

(never bothered with 2 though)

Comment

Originally posted by Electric_Boogaloo
                Still never finished the sequel, should really boot it up again one day...
                Me neither as it got a little bit too hard at the final boss ( just like most Square games - FF anyone ? )

It's a game I've always meant to go back and play through again but never have

So many games, so little time !

Comment

The sequel got a little too hard for me on the second disk, in a futuristic lab.

It was a shame that they went for a more Resident Evil style of depicting the story, as the originals lengthy conversations were miles in front in terms of the depth contained within.

Environments form an essential part of a game, and Parasite Eve had a flowing, consistent ambience that never faltered. Remember the park, with the animals in? Damn that was atmospheric, I've really gotta find another copy of this one now

Comment

I don't think I'll ever forget that bit in the second one where

Possible spoiler :-

you come across that woman in the shop and she mutates - her face splits wide open and its both cool and nasty at the same time

And let us not forget that hideous thing in the motel - you know that massive fire breathing thing, what ever the hell its supposed to be

Now thats some inspired ( and twisted ) charcter design

Comment

A true gem to remember. I loved the fighting system, while being turnbased, it still let you move to position yourself before attacking or to avoid deadly blasts from enemies.

Fantastic FMV's with extraordinary crisp sound. Mesmerizing plot. A very unique style.

Your weapon of choice which you were allowed to have engraved after finishing PE the first time and had spent so many hours upgrading, seemed like more than just a tool by then. It had become closer to a trusty companion instead.

Comment

I got my PS0ne chipped to play Parasite Eve 2... I never got it in the end though! That was stupid! I knew I should have bought it!

Comment

The game was brilliant. From the initial intro music (still one of the best tunes ever created) it created a sense of fear and mystery. Finished it in a night, but still amazing, and still in my collection today.

Comment

Official Site

I'm currently playing Through PE1 for the first time. What a great game. I have no idea why it wasn't released over here. The story is great and the cut-scenes and in game graphics are superb considering it's age...

Comment

To coin a phrase: "Meh".

I really, really wanted to like this game more than I did. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

The combat system and weapon customisation feature was great - a stroke of genius in fact. The music was also superb and I just loved the way its tragic, mealncholic urgency suited the game's setting and story. I loved the music so much that I bought the soundtrack. The full length version of the main theme really touches me.

Speaking of setting, it was good to see an RPG not set in some medieval/sci-fi hybrid world for a change. The modern day, urban setting was another stroke of genius and is something I'd like to see explored more often in console RPGs.

I didn't like the fiddly play mechanics, the RE-style item storage box and item capacity system. It was obtuse in the extreme and totally incongruous with the rest of the game. The game also cripples the player in combat by making Aya crawl around at snail's pace, needing a special potion to move at normal speed. I really thouht that was cheap. ft:

The level system was also pointless, considering the staggered, infrequency of random encounters and the fact that high levels weren't really necessary for combat made it even mroe pointless.

The plot was great for the most part too, but became linear part way through the first disc, becoming nothing more than 'Go to X, followed Y'.

Also, in true Square fashion, most of the effort went into presentation and not enough into overall gameplay polish.

Parasite Eve then (for me anyway) was a rough diamond. A great idea ruined by slightly sloppy implementation, which is a shame beacuse it had the makings of a masterpiece.

Comment

Working...
                              X