Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone finds the arranged soundtrack again please share the love

Comment

sorry but there were many many more than just these 2 franchises in the genre

Best scrolling beat em up for me was Batman Returns (Konami) on the snes - then you have classics like River City Ransom, Rushing Beat series (known over here as Brawl Brothers), Ninja Warriors Again (swinging around lamp-posts to kick enemies), Captain Commando, and who can forget Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou

Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou

Comment

Originally posted by camps
        sorry but there were many many more than just these 2 franchises in the genre

Best scrolling beat em up for me was Batman Returns (Konami) on the snes - then you have classics like River City Ransom, Rushing Beat series (known over here as Brawl Brothers), Ninja Warriors Again (swinging around lamp-posts to kick enemies), Captain Commando, and who can forget Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou
        True, there are more than just these 2 franchises, but they were the 2 most popular and the ones that the most people will remember.

As for Batman Returns being the best No way. It wasn't bad, but it could never compete with Final Fight, let alone the SOR series.

Comment

Batman Returns was sheer class - it combined all that was good with Final Fight with the Batman unverse - and did it remarkably well. graphics were well done and the gameplay was perfect (in terms of the genre)

Comment

Batman Returns was sheer class - it combined all that was good with Final Fight with the Batman unverse - and did it remarkably well. graphics were well done and the gameplay was perfect (in terms of the genre)
            Yeah but where was the 2 player mode?

That is where these types of games really excel. Batman Returns is a good game, but when you play it now alongside the likes of SOR it does seem rather basic and pedestrian (good characters though).

Comment

Gourmet Sentai Barayarou has awesome design but IMO the combat is not up to scratch and gets very repetitive.

Comment

end of the day all punch and scrollers become repetitive - its the shortcoming of the genre in general

Comment

end of the day all punch and scrollers become repetitive - its the shortcoming of the genre in general
                  You can mix up attacks in SOR a lot more than in GSB and there are weapons so far less repetition. Seriously, the only thing GSB has going for it is it's design which is amazing.

Comment

the thing i can't understand is why developers can't successfully port the genre to the 3d world - imo the best of the bunch has been Mark of Kri, which is very closely followed by Buffy the Vampire Slayer --- then you have Dynamite Deka 1 and 2, and maybe Zombies Revenge (not a true punch and scroller though)

Capcom could easily have transferred Final Fight to 3d - and Sega managed it with SOR, but it was poo-poo'ed by the business peeps (wankers)

camps

Comment

Dynamite Deka 2 and Zombie Revenge are very good. The SpikeOut series is amazing. For me games like DMC, Shinobi, Rygar and Gungrave are the bastard offspring of the scrolling fighter/shooter genre.

Comment

they have taken over the essence of the genre but i just like the feel when you get someone in an headlock and beat them up with your knee (strictly in a gaming sense ) - or picking up an item and smashing them with it

the new Indiana Jones game has some nice touches - knocking someone out with a shovel for example

camps

Comment

SOR gets my vote. The moves were better, sounded miles better, and I loved the way you could use each other to do cool moves on 2 player.

FF was still great though, I loved em both.

Sega do say they're doing another SOR game for PS2, but they said that about DC as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                            SOR gets my vote. The moves were better, sounded miles better, and I loved the way you could use each other to do cool moves on 2 player.

FF was still great though, I loved em both.

Sega do say they're doing another SOR game for PS2, but they said that about DC as well.
                            The difference is that the PS2 version is announced for this year whilst the DC version was never confirmed.

Comment

Fan-TASTIC

Haven't they mentioned Golden Axe as well?

Comment

My faves man

My 2 all time fave scrolling beat em ups are

1. Aliens vs Predator
                                2. The Punisher

Comment

Working...
                                X