Strength of (digital) personality...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strength of (digital) personality...

Okay, I'm going to be all black, white and sweeping here, because I can only access this computer for another 20 minutes before I begin the long and commuter filled journey home from London, EC-bloody-1.

So anyway, I was thinking about character development, and your involvement in the story. If you had to pick one, who would you prefer to be the more realised character, the Hero who you play, or your Diabolical Nemesis whom you will invariably face and defeat, provided you have enough credits?

The closest analogy I'm willing to run right now is Star Wars. Darth Vader. For me, he -is- Star Wars. Without a character of such presense, and fear induction capacity, I feel the films would be no better than the latest, SFX laden attempts.

No Vader = No Starwars.

For me, this is further exacerbated by video games. I really don't like to be told how my character is feelingg, because if the game was doing it's job, I'd have been given all the hooks to elicit my own emotional response to a situation.

The Villain, however, is something outside of my control. Nothing drives me harder in a video game than to have a well rounded, characterised villain to defeat. And I'm talking morally ambiguous evil, nor Mum-Ra from Thundercats Eeeeeeeeeevil?, because lets face it, who can take Mum-Ra seriously.

What did he do with his life before the Thundercats arrived? Stayed at home? Watch TV? Occasionally go out and terrify the Burbles... I can't imagine that's too satisfying. I always got the feeling that he was Eeeeeeeevil? (as opposed to Evil) because he had nothing in his life before he had some good guys to crush, and he's just trying too hard.

But I digress.

Any opinions on the subject? Heroes or villains? Who needs the most care and attention? OF course, I do acknowledge that not all games are going to need this kind of distinction. Games such as fighting games where all the characters are often presented on an even keel don't suffer from this as bad as other Genres.

- Corrupt Rose

The Villain makes the Hero. Shenmue is prime example, While Ryo is quite the wooden Actor, its Lan-di that gives him his drive while also still staying quite mysterious and being a complete badass, that Ryo in his current form (in Shenmue 2) can't hope to beat yet.

Comment

I consider character development and design to be important, dependant on the game. Id hold games like Devil May Cry and the Onimusha series as being prime examples of superb character depiction.

I guess seeing as the central character is consistantly the most high profile in a game, that its this that needs the most care and attention through developement. I like to bond (for want of a better word) with a main character, and care about what happens to them (im talking about RPG..adventure type games here), theres nothing worse than having to play a long game with uninteresting characters imo.

A great nemisis is always welcome of course, think Sephiroph in FF7 for example, a character that really made that game something special, or the demon in Devil May Cry who combined style and personailty beyond that of most other game characters Ive seen. Lan Di (mentioned above) is a great example, he really did set up Shenmue, and up to now appears to be almost invincible. I long for the confrontation between Ryo and him.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiler
        Griffith from the Berserk series is the man - I class him with more meaning than Gatsu himself. Not only that but his reasons for turning into a villain are 100% valid - you couldn't really argue in any way with his reasoning, it's totally, morally correct.
        The Berserk anime - buy the entire series 1 bootleg for ?15 or whatever - well worth it. My fave anime.

Comment

i quite liked all the boss fights in metal gear as i think the bosses have a lot of caricture., all had back story that intergrated into the story well, and none were really evil, more misguided,

it showed explained how they got to that postion, a good example is; grey fox shows no remorse of the things she has done till her death. she is also one of the enemys that you fight a number of times this helps for you to build up an impression of her caricter espesialy when you see what she does to meryl and how she uses her.

i think motives helps to build up the caricter as i think that haveing motives and reasons for being like you are, like say darth has , and not just evil for the sake of it like say, mumra or skeletor, makes a bad guy more beiveble.

i dont think 2 had the same impact boss wise, but thats a difrent story and one that is easly explained, if you watch the dvd that came with mgs2 on the ps2 to much focus on tech and trying to shoehorn in bosses

Comment

Working...
          X