UWish - New PC publisher with NEW games and REISSUES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UWish - New PC publisher with NEW games and REISSUES

I just went shopping in my local Morrisons, and found a stack of PC games marked at £1 in a box. Normally I wouldn't bother, but all of them were published by this publisher: UWish. As of this writing there's nothing at that site, but Amazon also have them HERE. They seem to have been formed recently, and are already publishing (or shortly will) a LOT of titles.

And there really are quite a few: many are new games, others are REISSUES. I noticed a few old favourites: MDK 2, Slipstream 5000 and the rather bloody good Elite clone Hardwar. Sadly Morrisons didn't have the latter, otherwise I would have snapped it up.

The two games I got were brand new: Terminal Machine, and Dark Apes. I didn't expect them to be any good at all, but at a quid each I thought, why not? Terminal Machine sucks. It's a sci-fi FPS with rubbish mouse control, a pathetic 3 levels, and - worst of all - CURSOR keyboard controls only, and no way to remap.

Dark Apes has a completely preposterous premise: set in the 1930s, diseased, zombie apes are taking over a human settlement off the Sumatran coast. Like Terminal Machine, it's a 3D FPS made in 3DGameMaker... but it's not bad! It starts you off in quite a convincing-looking level: a hospital, the sort you see in 60s Bond films. Rooms full of beds, cupboards, medical equipment etc... and zombie nurses after you. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it does have a pretty cool atmosphere and - hallelujah - WSAD controls. Pick it up.

I'm reminded of old companies such as First Star... if I recall correctly - these guys published Boulder Dash on cassette for various 8-bit machines, and various games directly from coders and small software houses. Perhaps UWish are doing the same? Can we finally expect some low-budget PC gaming goodness of a similar level - at least - to 505 Gamestreet's entries for the PS2? Looks like it.

Edit: Huh, they're going to publish PC ports of Guilty Gear Isuka and X2 Reloaded, and a reissue of Freespace 2. I'll be having some of that!
    Last edited by chis; 21-07-2007, 12:16.

Hardwar... Hostile Waters... Giants... Freespace 2...
    Blimey... There are some serious titles here within the much.
    Hardwar is one of my favourite games ever, if only for it's superb atmosphere, surprisingly detailed world and excellent Warp soundtrack. Highly recommend getting a look into that one.

What ever happened to the old budget publishers like Kixx XL and... umm... the other ones...

Comment

Update: Here's their current website: http://www.uwish.co.uk/

Come on, don't tell me there aren't PC gamers here.

Edit: Okay so they don't just do PC games. Anyone still looking for Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA? Well they have it.
      Last edited by chis; 27-07-2007, 17:14.

Comment

Originally posted by chis View Post
        Update: Here's their current website: http://www.uwish.co.uk/

Come on, don't tell me there aren't PC gamers here.

Edit: Okay so they don't just do PC games. Anyone still looking for Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA? Well they have it.
        you sure those 2 sites are the same thing? i've used uwish for dvds for a bit now, i'm not sure they are the same thing

Comment

Well if they can make Freespace 2 work perfectly on XP then I'm sold straight away...I loved that back in the day.

Never played Hardwar so will pick that up as well...need some new PC stuff that isnt over the top for hardware specs...I cant justify spending nearly ?1000 on a good gaming machine so my soon to be built HTPC will have to do instead.

Looks good though gonna pop to my local Morrisons tomorrow now to see if they have anything.

Neil

Comment

Hardwar would run on literally anything released since 2000 or so.

People really often underestimate what their PCs can run.

Comment

Originally posted by mt50 View Post
              you sure those 2 sites are the same thing? i've used uwish for dvds for a bit now, i'm not sure they are the same thing
              Check http://www.uwish.co.uk and http://www.uwishgames.co.uk - tell me that isn't a similar brand by the same company, just based on those logos. Budget game labels are one thing, but proper reissues of old games (Hardwar, Freespace 2 - come ON) is something the games industry should take more seriously. Someone should reissue Dreamweb sometime: package it in a DOSBox shell. And whilst I'm dreaming, System Shock 2...

As for compatibility, I doubt these guys have changed the games at all. Patched to the newest official patches, likely, but that'll be all. It's more an issue of Windows' own compatibility with older games. We know how reliable that is!

Comment

yeah i agree they look the same and probably are the same company.
                just seems strange that a online store would also publish games and sell them in other shops.

good idea though

Comment

Hardwar back from the dead?

I wonder if it still has the hidden last track on disk 2 with my poor efforts at singing

---
                  S0L
                  ---

Comment

That was you?
                    That was poor! :P

Great game though, I really enjoyed it. Loved all the little details. There's still an online community of sorts.

Comment

Yeah, I used to drop in at Captain Zedo's boards, I suspect they're all still active now.

In defence of my singing, it was meant to be poor. Didn't help we did it at 3am on one of the final nights of some 60 hour weeks, then snuck it onto the master disks :P

---
                      S0L
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X