The Podcast / Internet TV show thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Podcast / Internet TV show thread

Publishing power house Ziff Davis Media, who also have the likes of EGM and 1UP in their ranks are in the brink of outright bankruptcy after its debts continue to pile up. Most recently the company skipped an interest payment due yesterday, with the company engaging in negotiations with debt holders to restructure as a result of their $390 million worth of debt.

quote:

"It's about correcting a capital-debt structure," said Young, who added that he could not speculate on what terms would be offered to debt holders.

Said one industry observer yesterday, "They are playing hardball with their lenders by withholding payments. It was inevitable. They were in a cash crunch and it was just a matter of time."

The company said it has retained Alvarez & Marsal to handle the restructuring. Alvarez & Marsal have done work in the past for companies such as Timex, DoubleClick and Levi Strauss.

In the most recent fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2006, Ziff Davis Media had $181 million in revenue and cash flow of $27.1 million. The company also said it was going to delay filing its quarterly fiscal report for the period ending June 30.

News Source: Nypost

If this means that rabid PS3 fanboy from 1up will be out of a job, I for one welcome it!

Well, as I sit here at 3.41am, the entire 1up network, 1up.com, EGM, Gamevideos etc. is completely down.

Could it go boom?

Comment

Dam, i actually enjoy 1up podcasts (well just 1upyours and GFW) gonna miss them.

Comment

What's that you say? There's no way to make a living out of free news on the internet?

Comment

I blame those 400 page EGM's back in the 90s

Comment

What the one's packed with adverts ?

Comment

i'll be really disappointed if we lose 1up.

their podcasts are fantastic and they are (generally) really enthusiastic about games which i welcome when so many (supposed) fans of games are always so negative.

SAVE 1UP!!

Comment

Thats a shame, I really enjoy the 1upyours podcast, EGM podcast and the 1UPshow.

Comment

1UP's working at the minute...

Comment

1up isnt a bad website actually, do some pretty good interviews every now and again.

EGM on the other hand can rot, vile waste paper i say, now if only all the nintendo mags would go the same way justice would be served.

Comment

390 million???.........so did they say at 10 million in debt lets buy more companies............

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                        i'll be really disappointed if we lose 1up.

their podcasts are fantastic and they are (generally) really enthusiastic about games which i welcome when so many (supposed) fans of games are always so negative.

SAVE 1UP!!
                        Same here. I think the 1up show is the best video games TV show I've come across. The guys have passion, experience and understanding of our hobby. They are "Gamers 1st" & "Presenters 2nd"

Not agreeing with them on everything is fine, as their views are well supported and personal.

Just like here really, I don't always see eye to eye, but have lots of respect for a good number of members.

Sad to see 1up die. (If it does)

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                          They are "Gamers 1st".
                          "Fanboys 1st" is more precise definition. 1UP's staff is mainly from Official US Playstation Magazine, Xbox Nation, Games for Windows and EGM. From these magazines, only EGM isn't sponsored by console manufacturer. You don't simply bite hand that feeds you.
                          Last edited by elkatas; 17-08-2007, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
                            1UP's staff is mostly from Official US Playstation Magazine, Xbox Nation, Games for Windows and EGM.
                            So that's everything except Nintendo then, who presumably advertise in EGM.

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
                              "Fanboys 1st" is more precise definition. 1UP's staff is mainly from Official US Playstation Magazine, Xbox Nation, Games for Windows and EGM. From these magazines, only EGM isn't sponsored by console manufacturer. You don't simply bite hand that feeds you.
                              My feeling is their views on the blog seem personal & varied. They don't seem corrupt to me at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X