No announcement yet.

Top 5 Items/powerups/weapons in Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strangely three of the five that instantly sprang to mind for me are all mentioned already;

The Ship Attachment from R-Type - So flexible, added a whole new layer to an already stunning game in a fledgling genre, was simply sublime.

The Roast Chicken from Final Fight - I've always loved the idea of punching a dustbin/phonebox out the way only to discover a freshly cooked chicken, joint of beef or curry waiting to be consumed. Not to mention that heart in mouth moment when playing this in the arcades knowing that a chicken (- redemption) is in touching distance the other side of the screen, as you've got a pixel's length health left... but three Andores and Poison are in the way

The feather or raccoon Suit from Mario 3/4. Need i say more?

The other for me would be;

The Sniper Rifle in Goldeneye. First time i ever took a friend out in Deathmatch with a fully zoomed sniper scope = a top gaming memory!

Lastly, and a little obscurely, the shooting star in MD Moonwalker which turnas you from prancing nonce Michael to bad-ass, laser-firing robot Michael. Made me smile anyway

Comment

I like the idea of getting enemies to fight for me so my favourite powerups
      are the capture ball feature in Darius G (makes almost any enemy expect the end of level boss your ally until it dies) and the Necromancer from Diablo 2's revive skill. With Revive a Necromancer could bring back up to 20 defeated enemies to fight for him and all much stronger than they originally were.

Comment

Top five would be

monkey island verbal abuse swordfighting
        (in a deep booming voice) quad damage
        mariokart three red shells while already spinning three red shells
        counterstrike desert eagle
        goldeneye mines

Comment

[1] The Red Shell [SNES] - from making the difference in a tight race, to a well-timed shot in battle mode. Its fallibility and reliance on a bit of skill to not waste such a powerful weapon are tightly balanced, and make a mockery of the blue shell in the GC version that just breaks the game, feels cheap and is overly powerful.

[2] Sniper Rifle [Goldeneye]
          - mainly for the stage at which you receive it in the game - you've just started the dam level, had the cinematic fly-through of the entrance, become Bond, realised how well the controls worked. Then climbed up that tower, got that first sniper gun, and zoomed into the nearest head. Bang - dead - wow. What next? It only got better ...

[3] Cape [SMW] - not sure why the cape just feels BETTER than the raccoon tail, when it essentially has the same function. A simple power-up that opens up so many avenues, from flying up to the skies to below bridges, via use as an up-close-and-personal weapon, to slowing a fall. Makes an othewise immaculate control scheme even more layered, and does it without breaking anything. Perfectly judged, naturally.

[4] Option [Gradius V]
          - a simple extra gunner in the earlier games, but essential for getting through, this weapon came of age in Gradius V. The ability to change the special ability of the Option changed your approach to the game, and allowed you to play it in completely different ways, whilst staying true to the original little scurrying blue blob. THIS is how you remake a game without ****ting over its heritage.

[5] Ha-Do-Ken [SFII] - iconic, what more can I say?

[how about power-downs? the best bit of Mario Sunshine was when you lost your backpack and reverted to the mid-80s, with you, a controller, some blocks and a fat italian guy - elevated the game to essential]
          Last edited by sadat; 31-08-2007, 20:29.

Comment

5. Ball and chain (Twilight Princess) - Couldn't believe it when I picked this up, so fun to use as well.

4. Minigun (Serious Sam 2) - seriously fun.

3. Gravity Gun (Half-life 2) - Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet.

2. Phazon Suit (Metroid Prime) - Going into hyper mode against metroid prime = fun

1. Feirce Deity Mask (Majora's Mask) - What other game lets you fight against the last boss as a god?

Comment

Super Shotgun - Doom 2
              Railgun - Quake 2
              Pulse Rifle - Alien Vs Predator
              Pipe - Streets Of Rage
              Big Goron's Sword - Zelda: OOT

Comment

Working...
              X