Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guilty Gear - Worth getting into the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilty Gear - Worth getting into the series?

Ive been neglecting my computer for a while now and at the moment i really feel like playing some sort of solid fighter so i figured id see what was around on the pc.

Being a tsukihime fan melty blood looks like a must though if anyone can clear up for me exactly how many pc versions of the game there are it would be much appreciated. from what i can tell there was the original, then an expansion (Re-ACT), then a patch or something??(final tuned)?? and then the most recent Act Cadenza.

But what i mainly want to know about it guilty gear. anyone have any opinions on weather its worth getting into this series or not? i have no problem playing old games and id probably want to start from the beggining (for the pc anyway) also some clarification as to exactly how many of these games exist on pc would also be much appreciated.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

thanks in advance

well melty blood it goes like this

melty blood followed by "addon" re act then final tuned and act candenza (candenza was released on ps2 but it was based on a earlier arcade version the pc version is actually based on the updated version b #)

guilty gear though i am not sure about i think there was a the first guilty gear x then guilty gear xx#reload and guilty gear x izuna (erm i think thats what its called but thats a different sort of game )

if you have a ps2 i would say get the usa version of guilty gear xx #accent core i think thats the best version

oh for melty blood and react there is a english translation patch i think there working on the act candenza version now
    Last edited by eastyy; 15-10-2007, 11:49.

Comment

The series in general really doesn't do it for me. I played plenty GGX and X2 and I've now given up on them. I love my 2D fighters but I find GG very visually confusing, I don't think the animation lives up to the overall crispness of the visuals. Stuff like SF3 or Garou really trash GG animation wise and they make them easier to get into imo. Also, I don't think the characters have a proper sense of weight or impact when hitting each other, it all feels a little floaty and detached although not as awful as SVC Chaos. I wish the gameplay lived up the gorgeous (static) visuals, and less importantly all that cock rock music is really tired, I wish they'd branch out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
        well melty blood it goes like this

melty blood followed by "addon" re act then final tuned and act candenza (candenza was released on ps2 but it was based on a earlier arcade version the pc version is actually based on the updated version b #)

oh for melty blood and react there is a english translation patch i think there working on the act candenza version now
        ok thanks. now to hunt down a copy of the game... anyone got one for sale?

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
        guilty gear though i am not sure about i think there was a the first guilty gear x then guilty gear xx#reload and guilty gear x izuna (erm i think thats what its called but thats a different sort of game )

if you have a ps2 i would say get the usa version of guilty gear xx #accent core i think thats the best version
        did a quick wikipedia search and it seems there are 4 pc guilty gear games:

Guilty Gear X: By Your Side (2000)
        Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival (2002)
        Guilty Gear XX #Reload (2003)
        Guilty Gear Isuka (2004)

is this right and what is the difference between the two xx games?

also being a completionist if i can ill try and start at the earliest possible game, even if the later ones are better.

also i dont have a ps2 so i think ill wait untill Accent Core comes out on the wii in pal (if it ever does)

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
        The series in general really doesn't do it for me. I played plenty GGX and X2 and I've now given up on them. I love my 2D fighters but I find GG very visually confusing, I don't think the animation lives up to the overall crispness of the visuals. Stuff like SF3 or Garou really trash GG animation wise and they make them easier to get into imo. Also, I don't think the characters have a proper sense of weight or impact when hitting each other, it all feels a little floaty and detached although not as awful as SVC Chaos. I wish the gameplay lived up the gorgeous (static) visuals, and less importantly all that cock rock music is really tired, I wish they'd branch out a little.
        hmmm i guess the only way to find out is to play at least one of the games though if a lot of other people have a similar opinion perhaps i should be looking for something else??

Comment

Avoid Isuka, it's the worst of the series. Even though it adds a new character, the gameplay just doesn't quite work. Basically it's a 4 player beat-em-up made more difficulat by having to hit a button to face your opponent, rather than auto-face, this becomes a real pain in the arse with 4 players on screen.

Guilty Gear XX #Reload is as good as the games get for the PC revisions. #Reload is just a more polished edition of Midnight Carnival. If I remember correctly it's mainly gameplay tweaks and one of the playable characters (Robo-Ky) was overhauled with an option to edit his colour schemes added.

Personally I've always really enjoyed the GG games, I'm hardly the best beat-em-up player so I couldn't comment on how it stands up to the likes of SF3 at the higher levels of play. But #Reload is a pretty solid game with plenty of game modes to take a crack at.

Comment

I am not very good at these games but I did enjoy reload a lot on the ps2. BTW, I find that Squarepusher works well as a soundtrack.

Comment

ok does anyone know where i can get or have copies for sale of:

All of the melty blood games. (im still not sure what the difference between re-act and final tuned is though)

Guilty Gear X: By Your Side
              Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival
              Guilty Gear X: Advance Edition

EDIT: woops ill make a new post for this in the wanted items section as well. sorry
              Last edited by mekanor; 16-10-2007, 03:11.

Comment

final tuned is basically a patch it updated the game to make it closer to act candenza

http://www.himeyashop.com/ is where i got my doujin games they didnt have the guilty gear x games but see if you can request

only problem with that site is there not cheap

oh i think snk released some king of fighters and metal slug games for the pc and of course there is the shooter castle of shikigami 3 which has not been on console (though its due for the x360 soon)

Comment

Working...
                X