VC games - send them as gifts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC games - send them as gifts!

Nintendo on Friday revealed that it is planning to add an update to its Wii Channel system which, when finished, will enable gamers to gift software to anybody on their system's friends list. The service will work hand-in-hand with the Wii Shop Channel. Wii owners who connect online will very simply be able to choose a Virtual Console or Wii Ware title, select an option to send it to a friend, and when their buddy accepts the offer, it will immediately launch them into the Wii Shop Channel where a download of the gifted game will commence.
    "We think this will be a breakthrough in encouraging customers to spread news of fun games word of mouth," Iwata said. "We also hope to spur more users to connect their Wiis to the Internet."
    Secret santa gifts anyone?
    sounds awesome.
    I'm 99% sure it won't happen but it'd be ace if you could send already purchased games to other people, but Nintendo would fear people selling them on/giving them away for free meaning less sales.

Still this is ace news. wonder if it works worldwide doubt it as of the different versions of many games

I'm 99% sure it won't happen but it'd be ace if you could send already purchased games to other people, but Nintendo would fear people selling them on/giving them away for free meaning less sales.
    You're right, that won't happen.

Taking a leaf out of iTunes and Steam's book. Nice idea.

Comment

What would happen if you sent a game to somebody in a different region, I wonder? Would it let PAL users get hold of NTSC VC games?

Comment

It's obviously hypothetical but going by Nintendo's history of region locking I'd be very surprised if it was possible.

Comment

Great idea. And saves on wrapping paper, so double win.

Comment

unrelated but, my friend code is in the wii friends code thread, ntsc console

I wonder if it just sends it via Wiiconnect 24, imagine waking up to find Sonic 2 or mario 64 on your Wii sent my by a fellow online friend!

I presume the person will have to accept the download?
            as otherwise some evil (And sad) git could send lots of rubbish games to someone, it would cost them money but some people might send lots of rubbish games for a laugh
            Last edited by Ouenben; 28-10-2007, 15:08.

Comment

If you want to go ahead and send me a load of free games, rubbish or not, please feel free.

Never one to turn down a freebie.

Comment

This could be our next competition...

Welcome to the "You have no idea just how much I want a load of free stuff. Listen to me plead and beg better than everybody else on here could possibly do" competition!!!

Comment

If it allowed cross region gifting, it could be quite lucrative for people with NTSC machines willing to help out their poor Euro brethren (like me, *sob*).

Comment

I extremely, very much, highly doubt it will let you

Comment

Working...
                    X