No announcement yet.

Gaming notes (charlesr)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went back to Skate for a bit. After a few weeks off playing other stuff, I thought I was going to be really rusty, but I was instantly back up and trickstyling my way around the city. Also had a go on Amped3 which I was sure I was going to love, but after Skate, the gameplay seems very wooden. The background story stuff is hilarious though - fantastic presentation. Shame cos I liked the first two, but I presume I'd think the same of them if I went back. Oh well.

Up all night playing CoD4 with friends. Knife battle on "shipment", a tiny level. It was like Benny Hill, with everyone running around in a snake line chasing each other. So often you wonder where everyone is and you turn round to see knife coming straight at you along with a line of people getting knifed to death behind that. Absolutely hilarious. Might have to ban running next time though cos fingers were hurting by the end... Also had some fantastic public games where our party was severely out-ranked but we still held our own. Never won, but didn't get murdered. Learn a lot doing this too, in terms of team tactics and team weapon spread.

Comment

What game types do you prefer in CoD4? I'm hooked on 'Search and Destroy'.

Comment

I love Domination. The whole setup with 3 bases and two teams is perfect. I try and go round all the games though. Has anyone tried the new Mercenary Team Deathmatch? It says "no parties". Does that mean no parties can select it, or that parties will be split up during the match for balancing purposes?

Comment

No parties I think means the latter, that teams are assigned to be equally balanced out in terms of skill and ranking.

Comment

Megaton. GBA Donkey Kong: King of Swing is top stuff.

It reminds me of driving a remote control car. When it's coming back towards you the controls are the other way around. Like when donkey is coming back down the screen upside down.

Once you've mastered the controls in this, it gives a real sense of being a gaming god. I knew I was already* but nice to have it reaffirmed. For those that don't know, you just use the shoulder buttons which map to his hands. When tap each one, it grabs. If there's something there to grab, he swings around it until you let go and flies off at a tangent ready for the next grab. So timing is everything. A real game of skill. And the Japanese is easy to ignore. No barrier.

*ahem

Comment

Since we've canned the blogs, I've moved all the temporary forum blogs to this forum. If anyone wants to continue or start up their own, might as well go for it here. I'm going to say a few words every now and then in this thread.

Comment

Excellent. Where is me?

Comment

Think last post in yours was January this year, so, as ever, threads are in date order of the last post.

Searching with the title of your blog will be the easiest way of finding your threads people.
                  Last edited by VR46; 16-09-2008, 08:56.

Comment

Cheers - will dig out and spew more random thoughts on to the forum

Comment

So, what's being going on this week.

First up, the predictable but still shocking results of the "Is you first [current gen console] still alive without repair?" polls. So far the 360 has around a 75% failure rate on the first console. This does not take into account all the failures on subsequently repaired or replaced units.... Pretty scary and certainly not being picked up on in the mainstream press.

Things to think about are that as a group of gamers, I'd guess most of us are pretty obsessive about looking after our kit, so what's the failure rate going to be for the masses who don't care? Although this could be offset by perhaps vastly increased usage. I don't use mine that much, but it still died though... UPS picked it up yesterday. Fingers crossed that MS repair it (it's a US machine).

I was a little surprised to see that some PS3s had died and even Wiis - even more weird considering the amount people actually use their Wiis.

Having said that, my Wii is getting hammered again, now that I've changed it (firmware) from a JPN unit to a US unit and installed the region free apps Gecko (Wii games) and GC Loader (GC games). After the 3.3 update killed Freeloader I was stuck for a while. I was in the middle of playing Ghost Squad, so fired that up again yesterday. I'd forgotten loads of stuff, so I'll have to relearn it. Looking forward to that.

I also downloaded a few odds and sods on the Wii for the first time.

The Opera browser - well, it's way better than surfing on the Dreamcast for sure, but movement is a still a bit sensitive - I'll have to play with the settings. I reckon I'll use this for shopping from the sofa since amazon seemed easy to navigate.

Hudson fishtank - don't know why I got this. I really don't. But my little boy loves watching the fish so money well spent. Cleaning out real fishtanks (and my pond) is really dull

And finally, 1080° N64. I'm a sucker for this game. It's endlessly playable. I have the original on the N64. It plays superbly on the Wavebird. Ideally I'd love to get rid of my N64 and replace all the games on the Wii, but unfortunately not all my games are available (yet? ever?). Still, at least the region apps have made the GC fairly redundant, so that's boxed up now. I did try the N64 emulator on the Xbox, but it's not perfect so that's not a viable option either.

My N64 has the 4 wire RGB mod and the 4th wire to boost the signal is making interference, especially on light screens (like 1080 - lots of white), but it's still noticeable on darker games like Sin and Punishment. I'm going to try snipping it to see what the darker screen is like. If that's no good, then it's on to try the rather more tricky chip pin lifting/cable modding er mod that papercut did on his.

With any luck, my 360 will back in time to play Pure. So in the meantime, I'll mostly be playing Ghost Squad and trying some old shooters. Anyone got any recommendations from this list?

01.4D Warriors
                      02.Blaster
                      03.Choplifter
                      04.Defender
                      05.Donkey Kong 3
                      06.Galaga
                      07.Galaxian
                      08.Gorf
                      09.Gyruss
                      10.Vanguard
                      11.Zaxxon
                      14.1943 - Kai
                      15.Aero Fighters
                      16.Asteroids
                      17.Battle Zone
                      18.Black Widow
                      19.Blasteroids
                      20.Cabal
                      21.Centipede
                      22.Disk of Tron
                      23.Exed Exes
                      24.Gemini Wing
                      25.Gradius
                      26.Gravitar
                      27.Hellfire
                      28.Legendary Wings
                      29.Lifeforce
                      30.Prehistoric Isle in 1930
                      31.Salamander
                      32.Section Z
                      33.Sidearms
                      34.Silkworm
                      35.Slap Fight
                      36.Star Wars
                      37.Tempest
                      38.Terra Cresta
                      39.Tiger Heli
                      40.Truxton
                      41.Twin Cobra
                      42.Twinbee
                      43.Vulgus
                      44.Zero Wing
                      46.Area 88/U.N. Sqaudron
                      47.Carrier Air Wing
                      48.Three Wonders/Wonder 3
                      49.Varth

Comment

Number 48. Three wonders. Capcom side scroller which is part shooter, part brawler and maybe aprt something else. I love that game.

It comes with a puzzle game as well iirc. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                        X