Why MS and Sony can't repeat the success of the Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why MS and Sony can't repeat the success of the Wii

This comes from a thought I had a few times before but it would have derailed many a thread. It does, however, follow nicely from the Cell conversation in Headlines but has nothing to do with Cell so here's a thread all of its own.

Seems to me that the desired position has often appeared to be the most desirable console. The number 1. The primary console in any home. But that seems slightly shortsighted.

The Wii is the top seller by far. But is it most peoples primary console? For some, I'm sure that, yes, it is. But for most? I suspect that most people here, certainly, would have their PS3 or 360 as their primary console and the Wii as a secondary console.

Which pits the 360 and PS3 against each other and yet leaves the market totally open for the Wii to sell to owners of both consoles regardless of which they have chosen. It becomes the top seller by being the second console to everyone.

I imagine it wasn't disimilar with the Gameboy. While everyone was arguing the merits of SNES or Megadrive, PS1, Saturn or N64, a huge amount of all those people were still playing Gameboy. They's say their main console was the Megadrive or whatever but the Gameboy could wipe the floor with sales simply by being the second console.

So right now, PS3 and 360 are cannibalising each others sales. Yes, a large chunk of gamers might buy both but I'd say a massive amount of people will have their primary console needs met by one or the other. But, whichever one they go for, there's a damn good chance they'll pick up a Wii.

And the war for the second console was won before MS and Sony even knew there was one.

This made a huge amount of sense in my head and could probably have been said in just a couple of sentences but it's 8.43 in the morning and I'm knackered.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    The Wii is the top seller by far. But is it most peoples primary console?
    According to NPD's market research, it is. Of course, these days it is more common that household has two homeconsoles, than, say, during SNES / Genesis era, but those households are still very small minority (below 5%, I guess).

Comment

The Wii is aimed at a different demographic from the 360 and PS3 which are still being marketed at your typical 15-35 year old male gamer.
      The 360 doesn't really cater for a younger audience and the multiple SKU's don't help when people go to look at buying a console.
      The PS3 is far too expensive and has an identity crisis, not really knowing what it's role is. Is it a games console or jack of all trades multimedia whatsit? And the PS3 is pig ugly with styling aimed at gadget loving blokes.

Personally I own all three and the 360 gets way more use than the other two. But non gamer friends and family all want to play the Wii. The controls are simple and more natural feeling.

Nintendo called it correctly this generation. They've built a family friendly system to broaden the market. OK it's not as high tech as the others but that's kept the price down to a level where it's almost an impulse purchase for people. The Wii's image is different from the 360 and PS3, people don't tar it with the 'slumped on the couch, lazy gamer, fat kids' brush.

It's a bit like the iPod vs other PMP's. The iPod is easy to use, there's a model for all price points and it's styled in such a way that it appeals to all ages and both genders. And the click wheel / touch screen is a great way to interact with the device.

Comment

Hmm, primary console for more younger gamers i would think. Mine has been gathering dust for quite a while now and will probably go before christmas. The 360 is really cooking for decent games now. Roll on Tekken 6 for the ps3!!

Comment

thing is though i imagine alot of familys will only get one console and i am sure that if the kid of the family is after a console then the wii would be choosen......as it appeals to the parents to

fact is when sony said a while back there not in competition with the wii i think thats wrong i imagine they have lost sales because of it

Comment

I own a 360 and a Nintendo Wii, and I don't consider either or anything else my primary console, at least all the time. Sometimes I'm playing the Wii alot or 360 even the PS2. In terms of games though, I own 12 Xbox 360 and 19 Nintendo Wii games so for me the Wii wins out on the games front. Maybe if I was into online play or played every half decent racing and fps it would be different, but I find the games I have on the Wii feel more unique and different from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by elkatas View Post
              According to NPD's market research, it is.
              Well that invalidates everything I wrote. Find it very hard to believe though, even with the kids. But, hey, who am I to argue with research?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                The PS3 is far too expensive and has an identity crisis, not really knowing what it's role is. Is it a games console or jack of all trades multimedia whatsit? And the PS3 is pig ugly with styling aimed at gadget loving blokes.

Personally I own all three and the 360 gets way more use than the other two. But non gamer friends and family all want to play the Wii. The controls are simple and more natural feeling.

Nintendo called it correctly this generation. They've built a family friendly system to broaden the market. OK it's not as high tech as the others but that's kept the price down to a level where it's almost an impulse purchase for people. The Wii's image is different from the 360 and PS3, people don't tar it with the 'slumped on the couch, lazy gamer, fat kids' brush.

It's a bit like the iPod vs other PMP's. The iPod is easy to use, there's a model for all price points and it's styled in such a way that it appeals to all ages and both genders. And the click wheel / touch screen is a great way to interact with the device.
                Great post and for me pretty much spot on , though the CORE isn't that much more than a Wii. I now own all 3 too, but the PS3 and Wii getting little play time , in fact when you have a 360 there's no real need to power on the PS3 or Wii (other than the odd magical game) . Yet I know loads that just want Wii from Christmas and these aren't big gamers at all , but NCL has just hit the sweet spot with them

Comment

i own all three......but must say at the moment my ps2 and pc is getting more play time lol

Comment

Wii delivers on the downloadable games front where 360 and PS3 fail miserably. That's the major difference for me.

Nut yeah, agree with Dogg.

Comment

To be honest I cant imagine kids relaly enjoying many games on the wii, I have an 11 year old cousin and he got incredabley angry when he couldnt play wii sports very well for instance. Probably not the best example, maybe hes just usless, but I cant really see kids getting much out of most wii games to be honest, I'm not even sure somthing like Super Paper Mario would grab them much, i wonder how many kids actualy do play on their Wii's alot?

Comment

Wii Sports appears to be the killer app for the Wii at present. My own experiences with the Wii echo rmoxon's. Younger family members do seem to struggle a bit with the Wii at first.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          To be honest I cant imagine kids relaly enjoying many games on the wii, I have an 11 year old cousin and he got incredabley angry when he couldnt play wii sports very well for instance. Probably not the best example, maybe hes just usless, but I cant really see kids getting much out of most wii games to be honest, I'm not even sure somthing like Super Paper Mario would grab them much, i wonder how many kids actualy do play on their Wii's alot?
                          If my seven year old daughter could play it (and she could when she was six) then anyone can. She's demon at the bowling - never scores less than 200 and I can't beat her!

I think Dogg Thang is right in some way that the Wii is an obvious second choice console for many people with a 360 and a PS3 in the US and Europe at least. But it is also selling to people who would never have bought a console before or only want a console for just playing occasionally with friends (i.e. the market that bought a PS2 for only Buzz and Singstar).

In Japan I think it is slightly different and the machine is seen as the number one home console of choice by most people.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            But the point is they want to try the Wii, and thats good enought for NCL even if all they buy is one game and the console . I've been into games for years , but I can't remember so many people for all walks and intretests wanting or talking about a console as they are with the Wii, be in in pubs , the home, the gym , football match what ever . Its seems that a lot of people at least want to try the Wii, and thats somthing one must give creidt for.

Also Nintendo Europe's Advertising is incredibly slick, professional and is constant (adverts on all the time) , In stark contrast to the baboons at MS PR and thier HALO every 4 years adverts

Comment

I will have to say that i own a wii and a ps3, and neither of them have been played much, this is especially true of the Wii. Until Biohazard Chronicles is released for the Wii or Assasins Creed and Alone in the Dark is released for teh PS3, it probably wont get turned on either.

My gaming time has been mainly on the PS2, there is just so much fun left in the old faithful that i just can't leave it alone.

Having said this, i understand that not having a 360 is making me miss out of exclusive titles to Microsofts Cocken Boxen, but im sure i will pick that console up sometime down the road and from what is going on, it seems that the 360 will be the next ps2

I just cant seem to enjoy a Wii game for longer than an hour or so, the games just seem to be geared more to a quick bash than a slog-a-thon IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X