Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft rules on replacing MS points for a new 360

Hi all,

My 3rd 360 has just died and - with a people seemingly waiting up to 3 weeks for a repair - it might be just the excuse I need to get an Elite.

One thing that will have a bearing on my decision is whether or Microsoft will give me back the MS points I've spent so far. They did this for me when I bought the 3rd machine; they asked me to create a new gamertag and gave me back all the points I'd used to buy stuff on LIVE up to that point. I'm sure most of you know this, but this is due to the fact that any purchased 360 content can't be used on another 360 unless you're signed into LIVE. The idea being that you can then buy it all over again, on your new machine. But of course you're free to use the points for anything else, too!

Would the fact that I've already done this make any difference to them? Has anyone else gone through multiple machines and been given their points back again?

Thanks in advance

They did the same for me when I went from my 2-3rd machine after I provided them with a picture of my receipt. However, this was an exchange of faulty goods - what you're talking about is buying a second machine. I can't say what they'd think about that - perhaps you should try ringing them up. Probably won't give you a straight answer.

It is possible to re-download the full game patch from System Management in the marketplace blade, but I understand this is only for machines that have been serviced as no one who has bought a second console could get it to work.

Comment

When my 360 broke i took it to Game for a replacement as it is in warrenty, and i was thinking the same thing about my points. MS just told me to go into my account settings where my download list is and as long as you use the same gamertag you can re-download everything you purchased.

Comment

Right, perhaps they'll do it if you buy a new machine to replace an old one that's out of warranty (my 3rd machine was bought prior to the announcement of the extended 3-year warranty). Nevermind, thanks for your efforts!

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
          When my 360 broke i took it to Game for a replacement as it is in warrenty, and i was thinking the same thing about my points. MS just told me to go into my account settings where my download list is and as long as you use the same gamertag you can re-download everything you purchased.
          And did that work? Reason being that I put instructions to do that in the 360 issues thread and no one else got it to work. I assumed that that meant it had to be a console repaired by MS.

Comment

Yeah it worked fine for me, i just recovered my Gamertag as usual and in my account download list was everything id ever gotten off XBLA and it just let me redownload everything. I should also mention this was on a totally new 360, new HD and everything.

Comment

Once you've re-downloaded it can you access the XBLA games when offline?

Comment

Hmmmm i'll check later for you as i'm not sure because my 360 is always connected to Live tbh.

Comment

Can't you transfer all your data from one Xbox360 HDD to another? or to a PC then back to a new HDD?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                    Once you've re-downloaded it can you access the XBLA games when offline?
                    No, which can be a real pain!!

Comment

When I got mine replaced in June I asked them about this, they told me to delete all my premium content from my HDD and then redownload it. So I did, and it works offline now. When other people have tried this it hasn't worked though, so it must require some action at MS' end.

Comment

I'm sure people used to be asked to make a note of their original machines serial number and then provide this along with their new machines serial number to MS, and with some jiggory pockery they got all your arcade titles to work fine on the new machines.

I'm just about to pick up an Elite to replace my 360 which died last night. All my arcade games are already b0rked, from my original refurb replacement, and have to be played while online, so I'm not really worried about those - but are we saying that DLC for retail games is also effected by this, and I will have to buy all that again I just presumed I'd be able to do a quick transfer to the elites drive of all of that and everything would work as before !

Comment

Originally posted by Rubix78 View Post
                          Can't you transfer all your data from one Xbox360 HDD to another? or to a PC then back to a new HDD?

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleStokie View Post
                            No, which can be a real pain!!
                            Strange, it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubix78 View Post
                              Anyone?
                              When you buy an elite you can send off for a HDD transfer cable and software, which takes all from your 20gig and moves it to your 120gig. The same problem with xbox live arcade titles and soon movie downloads occurs though, in that you need to be signed into live to play/view them - as the content is locked to your gamertag or console ID !

Comment

Working...
                              X