Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your top 5 games that lived upto the hype and expectations in 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your top 5 games that lived upto the hype and expectations in 2007?

Well, all of the big 2007 releases are nearly out. If you're still waiting for the odd title over the next 4 weeks then post later on.

What are your top 5 games this year that lived upto your expectations and hype? I can't vote Mass Effect yet as I'm getting that for Xmas.

Mine are:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - It's chuffin' amazing!
    2. Halo 3 - Halo is back on track, love the music!
    3. Forza Motorsport 2 - Just what I was hoping for, still enjoying it now!
    4. Lost Planet - I'm still blown away by the visuals and special effects!
    5. Crackdown - Forget the Halo 3 beta! It's worth it for Crackdown alone!
    Last edited by MarioMark; 23-11-2007, 22:45.

1. Bioshock
    2. Halo 3
    3. Super Mario Galaxy
    4. Assassin's Creed
    5. Call of Duty 4

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy
      Call of Duty 4
      Skate
      Forza 2
      Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

In no particular order, as that is too hard for me to decide.

Comment

No order:

Global Defence Force - yeah, a crappy conversion, but I didn't expect anything less, and it's still one of the best games ever, with the added bonus of having the text in English.
        Halo 3 - hyped to buggery, but because I'd barely played the others it was mostly a total joy to play and very fresh.
        Forza 2 - not really a car sim fan, but the level of customisation and the solidity of the handling blew me away.
        PGR4 - superb weather effects, the first of any note that I'd played on the next gen. Great to play online, especially tonking minis around some tight course in the snow.
        Crackdown - way better than the hype, enormous fun to play with a classy selection of DLC. It played better than any expectations I had of the game, a real leftfield gem.

Loads of good games out there I've barely played like Overlord, Flatout, Darkness, Bioshock, I haven't played COD4, Mass Effect, Jericho, Blacksite or Assassin's Creed, there's a ton of DS games I've only scratched the surface of, and Metroid/Mario have got me looking forward to getting a Wii at one point. Zelda and Okami would maybe get in my list if it wasn't for the fact I've only played them for two hours each.

Comment

Forgot about Crackdown! That's my number 5!

Comment

1. Crackdown (my game of 07)
            2. Bioshock
            3. Halo3
            4. Skate

Thats the only ones I think lived up to the hype

Comment

For me:

Super Mario Galaxy: I purposefully stayed away from as much media and spoiler as possible for this one. I didn't even know Mario could

turn into a Boo until I saw the back of the box

I've not played enough yet to consider it the finest game I've ever played (Ocarina of Time still hanging in there at the moment) but it is certainly shaping up to oust the Fairy boy.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Unbelievable atmosphere as expected from the Prime series coupled with the best FPS control system I have ever used definitely make this one of my top five!

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction: Finished this earlier on tonight and, fookin' hell, it was awesome. Insomniac always create great weaponry and the amount of stuff you get to use it on was ma-hoo-sive. Also has the best looking flamethrower effect I've ever seen in a game.

Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3): Played this in the arcades loads when I was in Japan back in February and was well chuffed to be out there when it was released on PS3. Amazing depth, briliiant controls and gorgeous graphics make this the best 3D fighter I've ever played. It helps too that it's a great reminder of my honeymoon and the many happy memories tha my wife and I have of spending a couple of days just walking around Akihabara looking for cool "stuff"

Minna no Golf 5: I was addicted to the PSP version when that originally came out and also the PS2 version which came a bit later so there was no doubt in my mind that this would be fantastic. Didn't want to wait for the English release as my only complaint about past MinGol games is the awful dubbing and the game is so simple to play the language barrier isn't really an issue. Any language problems were solved by the mega-helpful translations posted on this very forum!

Trouble is, there were loads of fantastic games released that, on a different day, might make it into my top 5. Call of Duty 4, PGR4, Lost Planet, Super Paper Mario, Heavenly Sword, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Crackdown, Skate...the list goes on...

Still got Uncharted and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles to come before the years out too.

Awesome times!!!
              Last edited by teddymeow; 24-11-2007, 10:39.

Comment

There have been some awesome games this year, but none have lived upto my expectations.

Comment

1. Bioshock
                  2. Call of Duty 4
                  3. Mina no Golf 5
                  4. Ratchet and Clank
                  5. Assasins Creed

I may have to edit this list after playing Uncharted and Haze

Comment

1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - Beyond my expectations in all honesty.
                    2. Orange Box (360) - HL2 still remains my fav FPS, ep1+2 reminded me why. Plus, Portal = Genius.
                    3. Virtua Tennis 3 (360) - Superb update of my fav Tennis game. Online had me hooked.
                    4. Resistance (PS3) - The only Playstation FPS to ever deserve the praise it got, great stuff.
                    5. Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3/360) - So good I bought it twice.

Comment

Just Mario Galaxy, Phoenix Wright 3 and Halo 3 for me. Far more 'is that it?' gaming moments this year.

Comment

1. Mario Galaxy
                        2. Bioshock
                        3. Orange Box
                        4. Skate

Ooh, and Okami too. Though it certainly doesn't feel like that bad boy came out in 2007.
                        Last edited by crocky-chocky; 24-11-2007, 08:09.

Comment

1. Call of Duty 4 *WOW*
                          2. Orange Box

erm.

Comment

1. Bioshock - An absolute landmark title.
                            2. Portal - I never believe it when games promise to somehow change the way you play games, but Portal really has made a difference.
                            3. Contra 4 - Could a Western developer of mostly licensed shovelware really make a game worthy of the name? It seems so, and I for one am absolutely delighted Of all the games released this year, Contra 4 is the one that has exceeded my expectations the most.
                            4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Although it's basically more of the same from Retro Studios, that's no bad thing when we're talking one of the best franchises going. This game is significant in that it proves Wii controls can not only carry a substantial, more traditional type of game but, when executed with care, can enhance them as well.
                            5. That's about it, didn't buy many new games this year

Comment

Easily a list to create

1. PGR4 - Excellent weather conditions and superb graphics
                              2. Bioshock - First half was excellent then got soggy
                              3. Forza 2 - Good Game
                              4. Excite Truck
                              5. Wii Resident Evil

Comment

Working...
                              X