Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your top 5 games that *DIDN'T* live up to the hype in 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your top 5 games that *DIDN'T* live up to the hype in 2007?

1. Bioshock. This was really a game of two halves, first half was stunning, second half was dull dull dull. Ruined the overall experience for me.

2. The Darkness. The WW1 sections were horrifically bad and you never really got a chance to use all those cool darkness powers.

3. Lost Planet. The trailers promised massive battles, but it wasn't to be. Found it quite disappointing and there was little urgency about it. The end boss was annoying also.

4. Vampire Rain. Sounded fantastic, plays crap. Disappointing.

5. To come!

Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3, notably.

Comment

1. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
      2. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
      3. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
      4. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
      5. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

Comment

Halo 3. After all the hyperbolic press and the movies and the corporate smack-talking, it was just Halo 3 with marginally improved graphics.

Comment

This is harder than picking five games that did live up to expectations. Here goes:

Stranglehold: Was so excited about this, all the previews pointed towards it being a quality shooter experience but what i got was an overly repetitive game with loose controls and bland visuals (except for the neon signs).

The Darkness: As Believedog says the WWI sections ruined this for me, too. It was far too dark (bit obvious given the title) but at times I really couldn't see what was going on.

Blue Dragon: Not for me, this one was for the wife. She was sooooo excited about it, bless How could it possibly be bad? Sakaguchi, Uematsu, Toriyama all working on a huge new turned based RPG exclusively for the Xbox 360. Oh wait, it was drab and tedious and completely uncompelling. It's the first RPG she's ever left unfinished. What really pissed her off was playing for 30+ hours and only getting something like 60 Gamerscore points. Thank God that Eternal Sonata was so brilliant!

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: I feel dirty for saying this but I really didn't get on with this. he stylus control is probably amazing if you've got small hands but...I don't. Half the time I spent moving around trying to get a decent view of the screen trying not to get hit by enemies obscured by my digits.

Halo 3: I think the forum is to blame for me getting so excited about this. Getting caught up in the pre-release "who is selling it early" hyperbole really raised my expectations to a level where the game was never going to deliver. Shame, as I thought it was fun, just nowhere near as much fun as I was hoping

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            Half the time I spent moving around trying to get a decent view of the screen trying not to get hit by enemies obscured by my digits.
            Teddymeow = Shovelfists.

Vampire Rain looked good, until you played it.

PES2008 *shudder* - the first 'next gen' PES. Ok...

EDF2017 - still a superb, superb game, but after EDF2 it just failed to live up to my expectations - more levels, more variety, more enemies and online co-op were needed. Instead we got less weapons, less environments, less levels, less enemies, only 1 playable character and no online.

No opinions yet on 4 and 5.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              Teddymeow = Shovelfists.
              'Tis true. I did say that I felt bad, maybe I could make one of those "jumbo DS" that was in Edge the other month. Might make it tricky to play on the train though

Comment

PES2008 - Easy target really I don't think it needs explaining.

Motorstorm - Probably down to this forum as a lot seem to be - I expected this to justify the outlay on a PS3 but it didn't and only highlighted the poor design decision that is L2/R2

DOAXVB2 - Loved the first one but this was just the same with a fun-for-5-minutes Waverace tribute that was nowhere near as good.

Speedball 2 XBLA - This was my own in-head hype I had high hopes for this one but it just never took off - a limp fart of a release (still a good game though)

Heavenly Sword - Overhyped in the extreme and massively under-delivering DMC/NG had nothing to fear.

Lair would have made this list had I played it (owing to the hype and general consensus it's a piece of ****) in place of SB2.

Comment

You could always,*whisper* ROM it and use your mouse/touchpad if you really want to enjoy it.

Comment

Assassins Creed
                    Kane and Lynch
                    PES 2008
                    Warhawk
                    Sega Rally

Comment

PES08 - Gah how can a company fook something up so badly?

Assassins Creed - So much hype but under its pretty looks is just one hell of a boring game.

Motorstorm - Sony Uber Hyped pre-rendered video promised so much but all we got were a few tracks and some long long loading times.

Heavenly Sword - Once again looked pretty enough but it was dull and generic to the extreme design and gameplay wise.

Halo 3 - I really really tried to love it but it just didnt happen, i found the Single player lacked any real excitement or spectacle and the multiplayer was so so so frustrating. CoD4 is so much better imo.

Comment

1. Kane & Lynch - Awful game, simple really.

2. Mass Effect - Not as revolutionary as the hype suggested, still a good game.

3. Lair - Not as awful as everyone said but just wasn't as good as the hype suggested.

4. Stranglehold - Run, dive, slow motion and shoot. Haven't I done this before?!

5. PES 2008 - Still better than FIFA, in my opinion but not a huge step up from PES6.

Comment

Halo 3. Not a bad game, but it's incredibly overrated. And graphically, everything looks as though it's shrink-wrapped.

Comment

1. Assassin's Creed
                            2. PES2008
                            3. Blue Dragon
                            4. Heavenly Sword
                            5. Bioshock

Comment

Half Life Episode : One and Two.

Utter rubbish. I kept waiting for the climax witch never arrived.
                              -47/100

Comment

Working...
                              X