Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold turkey on game purchases for 1 month (ish) in 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold turkey on game purchases for 1 month (ish) in 2008!

This thread will be a total flop I know it!

OK, You get to pick when you do it and you can't do it in weekly parts.

28 days (4 weeks) of buying NOTHING! That also counts for Virtual Console, PSN and XBL Arcade games. Even retro games are a no! And don't think about buying 10,000 MS points before you start. Also rentals are not allowed and no trades!

What you can buy are magazines and subscriptions to whatever you usually pay for like FF11 or PSU.

Demos and Trials are fine.

This thread is mainly for all you sick impulse buying gamers out there. Don't sign up if you know you don't need to, but do sign up if you know you should do even if you don't want to. (if that makes sense)

You might say the easiest time to start is Jan 2008 but there are a lot of sales and Burnout is out soon. Plan your month wisely, maybe look for the summer drought, but make sure nothing gets delayed until then. You've got all year to sign up, so if you're not up for it now check back later.

Stick your name down and update when you're going to attempt this. When you do start, keep posting your diary updates and how well/bad it's going. This should be a laugh!

Man, I'm taking the seriously!

Who's gonna sign up and who's gonna fail?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Success List - Passed and free gamers!

MarioMark
    Kongster
    Concrete donkey
    MikeF
    The Glider
    RLench
    Buster Broon

Shame list - Crashed and burned failures!

Daragon - Lasted 1 day
    Johnny - Lasted 11 days
    BaudAttitude - Lasted 11 days
    Myth - Lasted 15 days
    BaudAttitude

--------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name - Start Date Attempted

January

MarioMark - 1st Jan - 28th Jan
    Kongster - 1st Jan - 28th Jan
    Concrete donkey - 1st Jan - 28th Jan
    MikeF - 1st Jan - 28th Jan
    The Glider - 1st Jan - 28th Jan
    Johnny - 1st Jan - 28th Jan

Pookmunki - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    teddymeow - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Fatbatch - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Vince - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    MattyD - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Daragon - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Dogen - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    RuBiQ - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    HaHaUK - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    parkinho - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    BaudAttitude - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    MisterKIKI - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    MatWoods - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Dazzx - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Herbalizer - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan
    Superfamifreak - 2nd - 29th Jan
    monomaniacpat - 2nd Jan - 29th Jan

Myth - 3rd Jan - 30th Jan
    Ouenben - 3rd Jan - 30th Jan
    Dirty Sanchez - 3rd Jan - 30th Jan
    mt50 - 3rd Jan - 30th Jan
    TonyDA - 3rd Jan - 30th Jan

Buster Broon - 7th Jan - 3rd Feb
    RLench - 7th Jan - 3rd Feb

QualityChimp - 9th Jan - 5th Feb

Jurassic 13th Jan - 9th Feb

Extra Terrestrial 14th Jan - 10th Feb

February

Kubrick - 1st Feb - 28th Feb
    tom-nook - 1st Fed - 28th Feb
    RagindAvatar - 1st Feb - 28th Feb
    Rivuzu - 1st Feb - 28th Feb

March

Shozuki - 1st March - 28th March

April

Sigourney Beaver - 1st April - 28th April

May

June

Cubeboy - 1st June - 28th June

July

Legendary - 1st July - 28th July

August

September

October

November

December
    Last edited by MarioMark; 29-02-2008, 23:35.

Heh, why not? Put me down. I reckon I can succeed.

Comment

I'm going to sign up for January. For me, this should be easy. I have more Wii games than I know what to do with (22 at last count) and a lot of them have yet to be looked at. Burnout would tempt me, being the only racing franchise I really enjoy but as fates would have it my 360 is currently enjoying three red rings and is not in the mood for playing games so buying stuff for that seems a bit pointless. My graphics card doesn't seem to work all that well and has done so for the last one and a half years, so no worrying about buying games there. Also, I havn't been paid yet so can't partake in the January sales right now even if I wanted to. So, sign me in. (though I may get one new game if someone on the trading forums bothers replying to my trade enquiry, but I posted that a few days ago so doesn't count if it goes through.)

I may add that I'm only agreeing to this as I'm slightly intoxicated.

Comment

There's no turning back now. Not to get all technicle or anything but they don't have to be in specific months. Just 28 days from the day you want to start. But I'll stick you down for 1st Jan Concrete.

Good luck and if you cheat you're only lying to yourself.

Comment

I don't think I can refrain from purchasing a game in February as Devil May Cry 4 will be out by then.

So er...back to January...I just gotta stay away from the bargains forums and I should be alright.
          Last edited by Kongster; 01-01-2008, 00:54.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
            There's no turning back now. Not to get all technicle or anything but they don't have to be in specific months. Just 28 days from the day you want to start. But I'll stick you down for 1st Jan Concrete.

Good luck and if you cheat you're only lying to yourself.
            It's hard to cheat when half your hardware is faulty, your overstocked on games and you have no money. But, to challenge me slightly I do work in a videogame store. I hope people don't choose this month to trade in their rarites.

Comment

Oh this'll be no problem for me, I can go for months with just FF11 lol.

Edit: Have just realised that the challenge is to avoid buying any games for a month. This will be easy as **** - only just cleared the first dungeon on Zelda TP, once I've cleared that game I then have Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario.

I think a better challenge would be to go without playing a single video game for a month - an impossible feat for many of us I would imagine.
              Last edited by Daragon; 01-01-2008, 01:41.

Comment

I'll do it for January shouldn't be too difficult
                Jan 3rd though. Metal slug 3 on XBLA tomorrow!
                what about things like exp packs/Halo maps?

I assume it means absolutely no money spent on gaming?

Febuary = Big payday + Rock band (hopefully) + Smash bros etc so no way.

Actually does postage to send my Wii back to canada to get fixed count?
                Last edited by Ouenben; 01-01-2008, 01:46.

Comment

Jan 7th - Feb 7th for me please

working with no internet access for the 1st week and the other 3 i'm living in a field in Salisbury plain

hurrah for me

Comment

January and March have games I want, so Feb 1st-28th for me.

Comment

I'd like to say January for me, although I did pre-order Zack & Wiki yesterday, but I'm thinking of canceling that as I have loads of games that I haven't even started yet.

Comment

January for me, can't do Feb as DMC4 is out

Will hopefully be fairly easy as other than Burnout there is nothing that I am intrested in.

I have GT5 due to arrive any day now and games that I haven't even started yet to get through plus CoD4 MP on both 360 and PS3 to keep me entertained
                        Last edited by MikeF; 01-01-2008, 09:39.

Comment

January is out coz I've done all my sales shopping online. I'm going to check out actual shops for the first time tomorrow, so if I see something I want for cheap it's getting bought.

Feb is also out coz I'm definitely buying Frontlines Fuel of War, which I think is out in Feb.

Put me down for March.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
                            I'll do it for January shouldn't be too difficult
                            Jan 3rd though. Metal slug 3 on XBLA tomorrow!
                            what about things like exp packs/Halo maps?

I assume it means absolutely no money spent on gaming?

Febuary = Big payday + Rock band (hopefully) + Smash bros etc so no way.
                            Damn, forgot about Smash Bros in Feb. I gotta go for Jan too then, and have the painful wait of getting Burnout a few days after launch. But I also want Metal Slug.

Is there anything out in July?

Actually does postage to send my Wii back to canada to get fixed count
                            Think people will let you off with that man.

Comment

I'm gonna try this! Can't use my credit card atm as I haven't got my repalcement and I want to finish the 10 or so games I gotr recently before buying any more.

Gonna get Burnout Paradise but not straight away so I'll be cold turkey until my DMC4 preorder ships at the end of Jan (I hope!)

Comment

Working...
                              X