Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding my self want an N64 again, what is going on!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding my self want an N64 again, what is going on!?!

Hey......haven't posted here in a while, infact last time i did the Dreamcast was king (for me at least!) and the owning a japanese import for it was the bees knees!

Anyway i thaught i'd post this here to see if other people are feeling the same (or maybe im just coming down with something.) anyway i was playing my cousins old N64 the other and having a quick whip round on diddy kong racing and found my self loving the game again, it seemed to bring back enjoyment that i just dont seem to get from my 360. So now im at the point of possibly buying a cheap old one and a couple of my all time favourite games on it, i just sincerly hope it doesnt dissapoint and put a taint on the find memories i have of this console.

So anyone else found them selfs doing this, and should i get one or just leave it in my memory as it is?

Do it

I did the same thing a year or two back and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised just how well some of the games stand up. Sure 90% of the stuff has aged terribly but games like Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Paper Mario, Blast Corps, F-Zero to name play just as well today as they did all those years back.

I went the US route though as I couldn't hack the whole 50hz and huge borders thing....nowadays I just play them under emulation on my pc (pin sharp & hi-res) as the N64 via s-video looked awful on my lcd tv.
    Last edited by tom-nook; 06-01-2008, 22:01.

Comment

yer thats another thing, it will probabaly look absolutly horrid on my 46" tv, emulation you say, now that could be interesting........

I remember f-zero probabaly my all time favourite futuristic racer, i just used to always wish the 64DD would hit british shores so that i could get the expansion to design my own tracks, alas it never happened!

Comment

I wouldn't bother if you have HDTV only. I got a USA Nintendo 64 and rarely played it due to graphics dated badly for me.

Comment

My 'gaming' tv's only a 23" model so I can't even begin to imagine how bad it'd look

At the time I would have loved a 64dd too but I think there were only something like 12 titles so probably not a great loss. The F-Zero expansion pack would have been sweet though!!!

If you are looking for an emulator Project 64 works brilliantly and only requires a fairly basic pc to run it. You can run the games at nice high resolutions and they look sublime (although naturally the textures are fairly basic but you can actually see them!).
          Last edited by tom-nook; 06-01-2008, 22:14.

Comment

Nine titles for the 64DD... I have them all (madness)!

Get a US N64, cut the tabs out of the slot, bingo, instant Japanese compatibility. You'll need a low serial number to be able to get it RGB modded though.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Whenever I try to play my N64 I'm quickly reminded of how sub-20FPS were normal then.

Comment

ah man, I've just (foolishly?) spent £21 on 3 N64 games from Virtual Console, I actually owned 2 of them on the N64 anyway, but playing with a Gamecube pad on a games console on my TV (with upscaled visuals) is actually a lot nicer than using the N64 for em, and it's the first time I've ever had the pleasure of playing Sin and Punishment.

Wave Race 64 may be 20fps or so, but it's still certainly one of the best games ever made.

Comment

N64. Still the best gaming machine ever invented. IMO obviously

Comment

N64 looks good enough on my plasma with the RGB mod. I took it with me while demoing the screen to make sure I was happy with its performance.

Go for it.

Comment

I recently brought another N64 after kicking myself for selling my original one , as much as I like VC games , its just not the same as playing them on a proper N64

Comment

I played on my U.S N64, far more than my PS1, back in the day. Wave Race got played at least twice a week. I think I became a master at it. GoldenEye multiplayer was a drug too.

People say that there weren't many good games for the N64. I'd agree when it comes to rpg's, with only the Zelda titles being top quality in that genre. Other genres( fps, racing, platform, quirky ) ... were well served.

I downloaded Wave Race for the VR, and it looks sharper and runs smoother. It's still an amazing, joyous experience. Apart from Mario Galaxy, it's the game I've played the most on my Wii.

I'll have to get my N64 out of storage. The RGB mod should help it to look good on my LCD.

Comment

My most played N64 game is 1080. Gaming perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            My most played N64 game is 1080. Gaming perfection.
                            I never played that in the day, or Wave Race 64. I'm thinking about getting them on the VC, but how would you think these games would hold up today without the nostalgia?

Comment

Those two games, along with Excitebike 64 will hold up for all time I reckon. I liked 1080 avalanche a lot, but I normally go back to 1080 instead now. Same with waverace - the original was slightly better.

Comment

Working...
                              X