Why do Playmore chose to release KOF for the DC & not PS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Playmore chose to release KOF for the DC & not PS

This is something that has puzzled me for a while, the PS2 is the most econimically viable platform to release any game on yet they have yet to release KOF 2002 for it.

I know many of you love that the Dreamcast is still getting software released for it but I see no point whatsoever in favouring what is for want of a better word an obsolete console. Don't get me wrong I love the DC,it's my 2nd favourite console of all time(with SNES being #1) but it's really frustrating that I can't play the latest KOF stuff on my PS2.

KOF2002 is on the way to PS2 later this year.

Why did it take so long? Good question. Maybe it's because DC is easier to port to than PS2, or maybe because they have been too busy on other ports and trying to restructure the company. Plus there is an already rabid SNK fanbase on Dreamcast and licence fees are now negligable for the format.

Comment

Does it not stem back to the special relationship SNK had with Dreamcast at launch ?

I see your point mind.

Comment

Oooh. Good point. Maybe it does. I often forget about the highly touted Neo Geo Pocket - Dreamcast link cable.

Almost as useless as the GBA - GC cable

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
          Almost as useless as the GBA - GC cable

Ehh its essential, i need my extra house on AC to store all my tat !

Comment

It's actually KOF 2001 that's getting a release on 23rd of October, while it was originally due September 18.

KOF 2002 PS2 hasn't got a release date yet.
            Hoping for it some time next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa
              This is something that has puzzled me for a while, the PS2 is the most econimically viable platform to release any game on yet they have yet to release KOF 2002 for it.

I know many of you love that the Dreamcast is still getting software released for it but I see no point whatsoever in favouring what is for want of a better word an obsolete console. Don't get me wrong I love the DC,it's my 2nd favourite console of all time(with SNES being #1) but it's really frustrating that I can't play the latest KOF stuff on my PS2.
              I think the situation is much like with the Saturn. SNK has something equivalent to a Neo Geo emulator written for the Dreamcast so ports are basically plug in, test and then manufacture. With the PS2, they are programming the ports using CRI's middleware so it naturally takes longer. Also, the Dreamcast's demographic also fits into the KOF user base as well so they are guaranteed decent sales.

Comment

They're guaranteed one sale right here 8)

You got GGXX didn't you? The DC didn't, did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa

Its because like SNK, Playmore just can't bring itself to make any money, it goes against the very fabric of the NeoGeo

Comment

Isn't KOF2001's late release on PS2 just down to the procedure of putting the 3D backgrounds into it as they are? Surely it would be easy to presume 2002's late date is a sign that it too will have the conversion to 3D backgrounds too. I'd expect it to take Playmore a while to do, they're hardly hugely knowledgable in the area.

Also, the DC versions only come out in Japan where games still come out frequently for the system. Surely DC ports over PS1 ports mean Playmore can get a version of the game out fast and without it being butchered in order to run on the system.

Comment

I think Playmore are just Dreamcast fanboys

Maybe it's because the Dreamcast is out of production so Playmore doesn't have to pay any money to Sega for releasing games for the system? I don't know much about it but could that not be the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Derek
                        I think Playmore are just Dreamcast fanboys

Maybe it's because the Dreamcast is out of production so Playmore doesn't have to pay any money to Sega for releasing games for the system? I don't know much about it but could that not be the reason?
                        That makes sence - cheap to do a run and they know that the DC fanbase will be up for a new KOF. Makes sence for them to take it slow and build up resources.

Comment

Working...
                        X