Is there any reason to keep my Snes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any reason to keep my Snes?

Do you think there's any reason I should keep my (PAL) Super Nintendo and the games, when I can play them all on my Xbox without having to take it out from under my bed? I can't think of any games where the controller type-s has let down the controls, and apart from a few odd effects in Mario Kart I haven't noticed ny graphical problems.

I'm not sure though. It kind of has sentimental value...

No i wouldnt keep a PAL snes

Get a JAP/USA Snes rebuid collection and play the games the way they where meant to be played.

i.e.

Better 2d pad, quicker load times, no fan noise, warm feeling inside.

Emu's do nothing for me, i like to play the games on the actual hardware. I had a chipped xbox and found it to be a let down, mame + other Emu's where much worse than PC and had all the filters removed.

+ every house in the world should have a SNES, a monumnet to the best console ever !

Comment

I've never really wanted to own a US Famicom.

Looks uglier than the Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimmyhill
        no fan noise
        Er... I don't remember hearing any noise from my Snes - are you sure?

Comment

He means in comparison to the Xbox or a PC, playing them via emulation

Always best to play games on their original hardware, but I'd go for an SFC if I were you, as the others suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Strafe
            no fan noise
            Er... I don't remember hearing any noise from my Snes - are you sure?
            I think he is referring to the fan noise from the xbox when the snes is being emulated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Max M
              Do you think there's any reason I should keep my (PAL) Super Nintendo and the games, when I can play them all on my Xbox without having to take it out from under my bed? I can't think of any games where the controller type-s has let down the controls, and apart from a few odd effects in Mario Kart I haven't noticed ny graphical problems.

I'm not sure though. It kind of has sentimental value...
              I just stuck mine in the attic, as xSnes9x is good enough and it improves on using the SNES with better graphics via filters, as well as speed-up and state saving facilities, and the hassle of having to pull the SNES out/find room for it/set it up/cartridges etc.- it'll probably only come out of the attic if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic...

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                He means in comparison to the Xbox or a PC, playing them via emulation
                Er...yeah! I knew that. Just testing...honest.

*cough*

Comment

No sell it and get a US Sness as already proposed. You wont need to get an adaptor or file the cart slot to polay japanes games with this option.

I like emulators but only for certain things, old arcade games on Mame on my mac and now SCUMMVM are great but.....SCUMMVM is still peiging played pretty much on its intended platform with a mouse etc. MD stuff is ok but emulated SNES games are just not a patch in my eyes. Cant beet the cart sliding intop the slot, the pads, the indefinable quality of it all.

I thought about getting a chipped x box but decided against it for the moment, will do at some point just not for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                    I've never really wanted to own a US Famicom.

Looks uglier than the Xbox.
                    Get the v2 then. Very sexy it is.

Comment

Hmm, as others have said it all comes down to the 'experience' of playing a game on it's originally intended console. I have a PAL SNES modded to play Jap/U.S games and fitted with a 60hz switch and wouldn't consider packing it away. The feeling of picking up a classic SNES title and looking over the box and instructions before playing is as enjoyable to me as the game itself ( sometimes more so ).

Plus the sight of it always seems to make people smile, I guess a lot of folk have fond memories of that console.

Comment

SNES is king, keep it...or turn ever closer to the dark side of piracy

Comment

i have a Pal SNES, with mod, 50/60 switch and nice black finish

i have Pal, US, Jap games and i still play most of em. emulators are'nt the same as playing the real thing with a SNES pad.

just get your snes modded

Comment

Get a JAP/USA Snes rebuid collection and play the games the way they where meant to be played.

i.e.

Better 2d pad, quicker load times, no fan noise, warm feeling inside.

Emu's do nothing for me, i like to play the games on the actual hardware. I had a chipped xbox and found it to be a let down, mame + other Emu's where much worse than PC and had all the filters removed.

+ every house in the world should have a SNES, a monumnet to the best console ever !
                            Erm, a stupid question, but you can mod SNESes relatively easily and I'd rather keep my PAL SNES than have a US SNES. They are bloody ugly. Worst. Looking. Console. Ever.

Also: I'd rather play SNES games on a SNES. Better than any emulation. Same with every console I've ever played - I even prefer playing GB games on a GB instead of with the SGB. It probably explains my games collection. On that note, you've reminded me to mod my Xbox. Been meaning to do it for a while using the 007:AUF and Fonts trick. Hmmm.

Comment

I have a haxx0rd Super Famicom I bought on these very forums which is modded with 50/60 switch, plays all region games (tho some PAL games work in 50hz only) has an RGB scart cable built into it, and best of all, a kick ass blue LED

Keep the SNES it 0wnz any emulation!

Comment

Working...
                              X