Advance Console Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince
    He did that with my friends Supergun as well, took it in for repairs, said he couldn't do anything but wouldn't give it back without a charge.
    I always knew those guys were dodgy geezers. They charged a lot for the games, and the mods were very expensive, but to charge ?25 for doing nothing is plain wrong!

Hardcore gamers really got taken advantage of back in the day. I never gave-in to my cravings for the latest and greatest stuff though- and always hung-on a bit until I could find a sensible price. I would say I never paid more than ?45 for any import ever!

Comment

I remember when import shops like ACE and CEX were charging people over ?600 ( extortionate!) for the latest consoles. They got away with it cos they knew that people were prepared to pay over the odds

Comment

Does anyone remember the name of the building/street where ACE used to be before they had the shop? It was just a couple of offices up near the Capital Radio building. Got my SFC there as well as early SFamicom stuff like Goemon, Actraiser, Super R-Type and Chomakimura (all at super high import prices). They seemed like alright guys, although I guess they were unlikely to be nasty to me as I was spending huge amounts of dosh with them during those days.

They wanted to do a games mag at one point (like Famitsu) and as I'd just started Anime UK they wanted me to do illos and the like. Never did get around to doing it, though and then I left London for Bath and just lost touch. Next time I saw them was a few years ago at the Carnaby St shop. They didn't recognise me and the shop, to be honest, was a bit crap.

Wil

Comment

The 2 guys that ran it were brothers weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
            Yeah, I think so. They had one office with games and consoles set up and another where they did the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
              Yeah they were. And they were always looking for any chances to rip people off, heh.

They once told me it would cost ?85 to mod my snes!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster
                Yeah they were. And they were always looking for any chances to rip people off, heh.

They once told me it would cost ?85 to mod my snes!!
                Was that for the 'special colour enhancement'?

Comment

Well in there defence there adverts in the mags of the day, always looked superb, but then again they could afford it
                  shame they didnt put there own mag together, id wouldve like to have seen that.
                  Last edited by SuperDanX; 11-11-2005, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
                    Was that for the 'special colour enhancement'?
                    Haha yeah something like that. Nah, it was for the region switch mod alone

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
                      Does anyone remember the name of the building/street where ACE used to be before they had the shop? It was just a couple of offices up near the Capital Radio building.
                      Osnaburgh Street near Regents Park.

Forget the building name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
                        They didn't recognise me
                        You should have kept hold of your Fusoya get-up for moments like this

Comment

The reason i asked about them and where their at is becuase they used to always get me the latest console when everywhere else was completly sold out. Ive been stupid this time too and the place i pre ordered the xbox 360 has shut down, typical, anyone know any sites online or places i could get my hands on this

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                            You should have kept hold of your Fusoya get-up for moments like this
                            Yeah, if only I could have used the dubious power of z-class games journalism celebrity

Comment

These guys were true crooks but also smart business men never forget that these jokers charged different prices depending on who was asking...

History man...history

Comment

Originally posted by Morph
                                History man...history
                                Yeah, it had a habit of repeating itself in the ACE shop

Comment

Working...
                                X