Best Ever In-game Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uli View Post
    erm.... HALO anyone? i've never heard a more atmospheric and better fitting game score in my 3 decades of gaming. truly a timeless masterpiece! there's also great use of surround sound and great attention to detail.
    I agree, Halo's soundtrack is absolutely superb. I'd say "Perilous Journey" is my favourate. It's such a pity that none of the music in Halo 2 and 3 can match the excellence of the first game.

Comment

Bare Knuckle
      Mushihimesama
      Silent Hill 2
      and strangely FF8...i think, and i know i'm going to get killed here, its better then FF7, though not as iconic.

Comment

Phantasy Star Online - Pioneer 2 music

Comment

Toss up between the first Metroid Prime and Halo. The music made Halo what it was IMO.

Comment

I guess I must have been the only one who was underwhelmed by most of Halo's music there is 1 track though that was used for one of the original Halo teaser vids, and was just phenomenal, if all the other tracks were half as good as that it'd have been my candidate for best game music too.

Comment

My favourite music is from F-Zero on the SNES.

Most gamers know the Mute City theme - but each track has very memorable music that boosts the overall atmosphere of the game.

Big Blue is good - White Land is also excellent. In fact... every tune in the game is great.

I'd say it's the Best In-Game music ever. Actraiser, CastlevaniaIV, ContraSpirits, Wave Race 64, are very close.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-05-2008, 11:51.

Comment

Theres loads of stuff i like, but the ones that are the top for me would be Out Run, Thunder Force series, Gradius games, Y's series (pretty much anything Falcom is good) and some of the Final Fantasy soundtracks. I guess the biggest problem with FF is that the best pieces of music are from the Nintendo era, ie I-VI but these aren't so great in game due to the hardware, so i prefer the arranged CDs, Piano colletions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                  Chase HQ - Theme
                  Damn that brings back memories.

On the theme of simular arcade jingles, for some reason the Name Entry music to Salamander has always stuck in my head, I don't quite know why.

Roadblasters
                  has to be my favourite little bit though, whenever you reached the end of the stage and the drums suddenly kicked in to let you know you were almost there, then you cross the finish line and the full song breaks out.

Really, really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                    I'd say it's the Best In-Game music ever. Actraiser, CastlevaniaIV, ContraSpirits, Wave Race 64, are very close.
                    Wave Race 64 has a legendary soundtrack. Love it to bits, was absolutely gutted when the GC update went to guitar rifts

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRox View Post
                      Wave Race 64 has a legendary soundtrack. Love it to bits, was absolutely gutted when the GC update went to guitar rifts
                      Totally agree..i'd forgotten all about that. The lake music was great if i remember. Might have to dig it out

Also if i remember. Pacmania had some really funky tunes when it hit the arcades, the 3D version where Pacman could jump.

Comment

i am loving the GTA4 muisc right now

Comment

Top Racer (Top Gear)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0cyCSXNIM
                          Terranigma
                          Final Fantasy 4&6

& any music compose by Akira Yamaoka, Yasunori Mitsuda & Yuzo Koshiro

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRox View Post
                            The GC version is a travesty - there is nothing nice about it.

All the music tracks in WR64 are excellent. Very much like F-Zero on the SNES - all the tracks are synth style, and suit each level.

Here's the excellent intro theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkH3...eature=related

Originally posted by idfei View Post
                            That is a great example of a catchy old-skool style tune. All this putting licensed songs into games and Hollywood style crap - just pisses me off. Give me tunes that suit the games - and make them hummable.

Comment

Most of the good ones have been mentioned, a few others I like:

Burning Rangers
                              Snatcher
                              Parappa the Rapper
                              Um Jammy Lammy
                              Trizeal

Under Defeat, especially the final stages track, tears that died I think it's called, love the build up to that tune.

Comment

The SNES - despite having the some astonishing pieces of music, gets a hard time from some people, who say the soundchip doesn't allow for much variety.

I give you Plok:

When I first heard that - it really impressed me, not only because it's great, but it sounded fresh.

Comment

Working...
                                X