Niko Bellic doesn't get residuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niko Bellic doesn't get residuals

While gamers might not immediately recognize the name or face of Michael Hollick, his voice might ring a bell. Hollick is the actor who gave voice to Niko Bellic, the main character in Grand Theft Auto IV, which has made over half a billion dollars since its release last month. What kind of pay does a man starring in…

This is an interesting one. Now I understand why Roman's VO guy was advertising his rental service. Given the amount of VO work and the amount of potential money to be made, I reckon residuals should be standard, just as they are for most other forms of entertainment.

Most people are saying Niko is the most likeable GTA protagonist so far. No doubt Rockstar offered him a take it or leave it deal and would happily have moved on to the next person. But seems to me what he brought to Niko was worth more than that.

No way man, it's his fault for not realising what a success the game would be and demanding more money!

To complain after the games release is just stupid.

Comment

Agreed. He must've known how massive the game was going to be - besides, anyone who complains about something they've signed up to isn't right in the head.

He definitely brought a lot to the game, but what sort of company would Rockstar be if they gave him more money than previously agreed just because people like him? Would they have to demand money back from him if people didn't?

Comment

But if he had asked for more money Rockstar would have just got somebody else to do it, I don't think it would have harmed sales.

I think Niko is the most likeable GTA protagonist so far.

Comment

He got paid $100k still, for 15 months work. No small amount!

Besides, "residuals" in video games won't work. Traditionally, residuals get paid to the talent on a film or TV show. But here's the thing. It's not paid on the first "run". A writer gets like 17c per DVD sold, but they may well not have got any percentage on the movies first release in the cinema, instead getting a flat fee (only big stars tend to get box office percentages, known as "points").

Same with a TV show. Residuals come in through syndication, not on first run, I believe. That's what they're being paid for in the first instance.

Now games don't get syndicated or shown on other media. They're [usually] only in the shops a few months. Maybe a budget release a year later. I don't know where the residuals could be found.

The guy really wanted a single gross point or something, but he's never going to get that. People aren't drawn to the game because of his name - his character maybe, but he himself did not draw people in. So no points for you!

Is it fair? I think so. The game has sold say 10m units now, average price of $60 sound about right? $600m, very nice! But that's gross, not net. Retailers and distribution will account for about 65% of that, from a pie chart I saw many moons ago. That leaves $200m, and the game cost $100m. So that's only $100m profit, share however he contract stipulates between the devs and publishers, and needed to finance the next title.

Comment

If he's moaning like this is it safe to assume that Niko Bellic isn't making a comeback for the DLC then?

Personally I think £50,000 for 15 months of reading lines into a mic is more than adequate -that's more than some people earn in two years of hard graft for doing essential jobs to keep countries running.

If he wanted more he should have got the contract altered, but something tells me he knew they would have had no trouble filling the position and wanted this on his CV.

Smacks of salty, bitter tears that he's unable to milk them for more cash.

Comment

He got paid $100k still, for 15 months work. No small amount!
              Fair enough, opinion changed. He should stop his whingeing.
              Last edited by burntoutbanger; 21-05-2008, 16:40. Reason: spelling, again. :(

Comment

Yep, had he asked for a different deal, Rockstar would just have moved on. And, yeah, $100k may sound like a lot for the work that was in it but the acting and VO world involves a hell of a lot of waiting for work. You have to have money banked for those long periods you're not working. And yet the work you did during that time keeps on making more and more money.

When you consider how much money the game is making and what he brings to Niko, I would see his value at more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  And, yeah, $100k may sound like a lot for the work that was in it but the acting and VO world involves a hell of a lot of waiting for work. You have to have money banked for those long periods you're not working. And yet the work you did during that time keeps on making more and more money.
                  You know, he could get a proper job duing those quiet times, one like the rest of us have to struggle through

Comment

Yeah, it's clear now that he's a great voice actor etc., and he's bound to get more work off the back of it too (or at least he probably was until he showed himself to be one of those "it's not fair that I'm not making more money than I agreed to take" types), but who had heard of him before GTAIV?

Business is business, and you don't pay people more than they agree to take - that's just silly.

Comment

I've got no sympathy, he was getting good money working for on 1 job for a whole year, he knew the deal before he signed up. Just because the game was successful he wants a piece of the pie?

Maybe he should of voiced his concerns before he signed the contracts? He wouldn't of got any money if that was the case though.

Comment

He should go on a one man mission for reveng... oh wait...

Comment

I shall think of him each time Niko says 'As long as I'm getting paid' in game.

Seems like he got a decent enough deal, and as said he should get more work off of the back of the performance. I don't see the problem to be honest.

Comment

Didn't something like this happen with a previous GTA? The leading voice actor of the protaganist didn't realise the sucess and wanted more money post-release.

What stupidity. As someone just said; he would've know the franchise has always sold big bucks, and the latest iteration would've continued this.

Comment

Hang on guys - read what he said before shooting your mouths (or fingers) off.

Comment

Working...
                              X