Cel Shading appreciate thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
    I've never played it, is auto modelista any good?
    I really liked it. It got a lot of bad press when it was released, mostly because of the controls which are tricky to get used to, and it's also quite easy to complete, but it was underrated, I thought. Everything from the tracks and cars look superb though, with cel shading effects used for other things like tyre smoke and exhust backfire.

Comment

I didn't realise Fear Effect was cel-shaded in game. I thought it was just the cutscenes. I might have to get it now, is it any good?

As for good cel-shaded games, the Jet Set Radio games are both superb and really unique thanks largely to their visual style. I think cel-shading really made Wind Waker as well - Link's face is so expressive and cute! Anyone who didn't laugh at him making cat noises in the town at night is dead inside.

I think something Viewtiful Joe (one of the best games EVAR ) did really well with its use of cel-shading was using really thick, heavy lines to evoke that kind of kitschy over-muscular art style you get in old American comics and 80s anime like Fist of the North Star. Again, I just don't think it would hold the same charm or be quite the same game with a more conventional graphical style.

Another thing which deserves a small mention is the cel-shading in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Not many people realise but a few spot-effects in both games - mainly the magical runes and the heroe's capes - were cel-shaded. Ico's cape is pretty obvious up close but in Shadow of the Colossus it's a lot more subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I aged while sitting on that poxy boat. But it did look pretty.
        haha made me actually laugh. i hated the celda look when the game first came out, but since actually playing the game, i was converted. looking back now i still think it looks amazing. only thing is it makes me angry every time i see toon link on ssbb now...

Comment

I'm looking forward to the new Prince of Persia using cel-shaded graphics. And like someone else said, they age better that more real looking graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
            Another thing which deserves a small mention is the cel-shading in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Not many people realise but a few spot-effects in both games - mainly the magical runes and the heroe's capes - were cel-shaded. Ico's cape is pretty obvious up close but in Shadow of the Colossus it's a lot more subtle.
            Yeah, the style of ICO and SotC was lovely. Although it does use cel-shaded effects, does it really count? Probably doesn't matter. GTA:SA used similar shading techniques on the cars. Again, not really going for the cartoon look at all but taking advantage of a more limited yet stylised shading technique.

Comment

Jesus, we seem to have overlooked Sheep, Dog, 'N' Wolf and Herdy Gerdy. HG was something really special if you ask me. It had that strange Secret of NIMH, Don Bluthy feel to it.

Comment

I played Herdy Gerdy for 5 minutes and I really didn't enjoy it. Very bland to me.

Comment

Calling all Cars on the PSN has a little bit of detail to it avoiding the 'flash' game syndrome. Fun game too in short bursts. Very arcadey, fast and fun.

Comment

no more heroes has some nice examples of cel shading. shinobu's hair for example surprised me and it looks quite good i think

Comment

I wonder if anyone else on here played the Robotech:Battlecry game? I bought it on PS2 and GC, giving the former to my brother as I couldn't get to grips with the control system. It's the only cel-shaded transforming plane space battle game I've played. I loved every minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                        I really liked it. It got a lot of bad press when it was released, mostly because of the controls which are tricky to get used to, and it's also quite easy to complete, but it was underrated, I thought. Everything from the tracks and cars look superb though, with cel shading effects used for other things like tyre smoke and exhust backfire.
                        I agree with everything this guy says. Vastly underrated title.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                          I didn't realise Fear Effect was cel-shaded in game. I thought it was just the cutscenes. I might have to get it now, is it any good?
                          It looks fantastic, is brilliantly animated but does suffer from quite annoying controls and a couple of really infuriating sections. Overall tho i think you should deffo try it, think its one of those games you will love or hate.

Comment

Another vote for JSR and Furture, but after the comments about Auto Modellista, I intend to get hold of a copy, was put off by the negative press.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X