Decent Japanese PS2 games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent Japanese PS2 games?

I bought a 2nd hand PS2 which won't run GT4 and God of War2 - but runs everything else ok. It was suggested to me that either the laser's knackered or it is a chipped console - capable of running imports. I would like to test out its ability to play imports by buying a Japanese PS2 game(s). I'm sure I could sort it out to play imports anyway (somehow) or buy one which does.
    Would you guys be able to suggest some quality Jap PS2 games for me. I'm thinking of the first Katamari game - is it the best one? other than that I can't think of any others.
    Help!

Thanks - Rico (Buzz)

PS I hope this console has hidden abilities - or it's for the chop!

Easy - Chikyuu Boueigun 1 or 2. Budget games but two of the best on the system.

Simple 2000 Series Vol. 31: The Chikyuu Boueigun for PlayStation 2無数の巨大生物が街を襲う!防衛軍、出撃せよ。・君は地球防衛軍の隊員となり、UFO、巨大メカ、巨大怪獣など、迫り来る敵を倒して異星人の侵攻から地球を救うのだ。・現代科学の粋を集めた100種類以上の武èを装å‚し、〈BR〉戦車、ヘリコプターなど来るべき日のために開çºã—た最新兵å¨ã‚’駆使して立ち向かえ。・2人同æ‚プレイ可能。対戦、協力ともにOKだ。防衛軍は1人じゃない!

huh the first one is chips but the second (and much better game) is 25.

Further edit:

Nope, that 25 must be them both together? 13 quid on its own.

Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81: The Terra Defence Force 2 for PlayStation 220XX, the human race has successfully repulsed the giant aliens from outer space. But good times do not last, the unimaginable happens just after 3 months. This time, the invading combat biological weapons are even more evolved and can fly and even burrow! A giant ant hole deep in the depths of the Earth is the breeding grounds of masses of evolved enemies. The nightmare-like war is not over yet. Can the human race defeat the alien invaders again and restore peace to Earth? After ferocious fighting, scarred ...
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 18-06-2008, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
      PS I hope this console has hidden abilities - or it's for the chop!
      it might be the dreaded dvd9 problem that some suffer from or mod chips wont load dvd9

could be completely wrong - it just jumps out at me

i'll get me coat

Comment

1st katamari game is totally top notch.

Comment

i think i only have a few japanese games that never appeared anywhere else, but they're all pretty good.

Initial D: special stage
          Namco X Capcom
          Macross: The Super Dimension Fortress
          A.C.E. Another Century's Episode

Comment

Thank you for all the help. I have Global Defence Force on PS2, but I can't remember if it runs in 60HZ, so maybe the Japanese version would be better.
            I like the sound of Initial D : Special Stage.
            Yes - I don't think there are very many Japanese games which didn't get releases in the West. I can think of a game where you were a mosquito flying round a house trying to bite memebers of a family without being detected. There was also Primal Image (which was probably rubbish) and Sega did one where you were a fish (IO?). These are all pulled from vague memories of reviews in computer magazines, and they probably weren't very good games.
            I suspect there were some retro games that were only released on PS2 in Japan and maybe some 2D games.
            I think I will get Katamari to try. Just out of interest why is it better than its sequels? is it the music?

Thanks - Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
              Thank you for all the help. I have Global Defence Force on PS2, but I can't remember if it runs in 60HZ, so maybe the Japanese version would be better.
              I like the sound of Initial D : Special Stage.
              Yes - I don't think there are very many Japanese games which didn't get releases in the West. I can think of a game where you were a mosquito flying round a house trying to bite memebers of a family without being detected. There was also Primal Image (which was probably rubbish) and Sega did one where you were a fish (IO?). These are all pulled from vague memories of reviews in computer magazines, and they probably weren't very good games.
              I suspect there were some retro games that were only released on PS2 in Japan and maybe some 2D games.
              I think I will get Katamari to try. Just out of interest why is it better than its sequels? is it the music?

Thanks - Buzz
              GDF pal version is only 50hz, so jap versio would be superior. The mosquito game is "Mr Mosquito" and did come out in pal land. The company that released it were the same that did mad maestro (maybe Fresh games?). Fish one is maybe Seman but don't think it came out here.

Comment

Sounds like the laser is broken and doesn't play any media on DVD9. I think you'll be wasting your time trying a different region game on the system.

Comment

Would recommend any cave shooters like espgaluda

oh psyvariar 2....thought it does not work with my magic 3.1 mod chip

Comment

Working...
                  X