Dead 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead 360

Playingg on the 360 last night, all of a sudden the screen goes mental flashing white black, the HUD of the game i was playing (Juarez) was still there and moved as i moved, but i couldn't see anything. Go back to menu, reload game, same problem. Turn off machine to reboot, turn on again, got a flashing red light (bottom right) and an E74 error

I thought i wouldn't be too unhappy when this inevitably happened, but i guess i'm more addicted that i thought

So here are my questions:
    - After Googling around, i found an E74 error (with a 1022 code) relates to bad hardware basically, i tried unplugging, waiting, etc but nothing worked. I guess it's time to order a coffin?
    - I've read that a single red light with an E74 error isn't covered by warranty ? Does anyone have experience of this error, and what happened during the return process ?
    - Has anyone recently returned their Xbox ? Can you give me an idea of how long it'll take, and how much it'll cost if not covered ?

I think that's all, no doubt there will be more questions through the day as i think of them.

Thanks all

How long did you wait before retrying? I've had that E74 error code about 4 times on my PAL console and simply leaving it alone for a while "cures" it. Normally, I'll wait about a day before trying it again and its worked fine afterwards.

Comment

A friend had RROD last month, took almost three weeks to get his 360 back. Think MS used to charge about £60 for non-warranty repair work didn't they ?

Comment

I waited an hour, then tried again this morning and the same. I'll try again when i get home but i'm not hopeful. I think i'm going to try and 'help' it get 3 red lights then get it repaired under warranty, but if i have to pay £60 or whatever it is, i'm going to buy a new premium and sell all the bits off along with my dead 360, would end up costing about the same i reckon.

Comment

Just buy arcade XBOX 360 and then sell the main 360 on ebay as people might want to buy it for parts or learn to repairs.

Comment

I sent mine off about a month ago, it didn't have the 3 lights but was constantly turning itself off and showing 2 (overheating). I explained that on the online form and said I'd seen 3 lights as well. They replaced/fixed? the motherboard and put in a new DVD drive and gave me a month's gold sub. Took 2 weeks. I set it all up online which meant providing my own box, printing the label and picking a time for the UPS guy to pickup.

Comment

I'm massively tempted to buy another premium, and get this one fixed anyway. One for upstairs one for downstairs, then the missus can stop complaining that she can't get on the PC, i'll just move downstairs and keep playing

Will stop in at Gamestation on the way home and see what they can do.

Comment

Just log it as a RRoD repair. The E74 is most likely a gpu failure just like the common RRoD. If they receive your unit and boot it up to see an E74, they aren't going to question the legitimacy of your claim, because its not uncommon for these two faults to migrate from one to the other.

Comment

Ok i've decided to go ahead and get a new one, and have been green lighted by the accounts department. My plan is still to get the other one fixed and hence have 2 operational 360's. I plan then to switch the HDD between machines depending on where i'm playing. Couple of questions based on this:

- Presumably everything is stored on the HDD, so switching from one machine to the other everything will just work as it did before, i won't need to set up new IP etc ?
                  - I have a second profile on my HDD, can i move this to the HDD on the new machine easily ?
                  - How will my DLC and XBLA games work ? Will they only work on the original machine, or will they work anywhere ?

Comment

I have two machines and switch the HDD between them all the time with no problems.

- You won't need a new IP.
                    - If you mean you want your second profile on a separate HDD, you just need to recover it over Live.
                    - They will work anywhere if you're connected to Live. Offline they will only work on the machine you downloaded them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                      Offline they will only work on the machine you downloaded them on.
                      So presumably, if i send the broken machine to MS and they send me another one, i won't be able to play them offline ? How about if i re-download them ? Not that this matters much as i'm always connected and rarely play XBLA anyway

Comment

Indeed. Re-downloading doesn't make a difference. MS are supposed to be providing a fix for this issue in the near future. There are ways it can be fixed now via MS but I don't think it's worth the effort as, like you, I'm pretty much always connected.

Comment

Working...
                        X