Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

they dont make them like they used to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they dont make them like they used to...

Dual shock 2 controllers to be precise

playing a game this afternoon and i flashed and lost my temper, its been a while since i had a fit of gaming rage, but i threw it to the ground only for the left analogue stick to be stuck in the up-diagonal position

after various attempts to sort it i kinda just lost it completely and smacked it off my table only for the controller to half in two. I dont mean that literally, it smashing into two clean bits

so its gone to the controller afterlife, i'm sure in the past i could have thrown a dual shock around the room only for it too laugh at my feeble attempts to smash it

bah!

any thoughts on brittle modern plastics/technology, please post here

All of this, and on the Sabbath.

The 360 pad is really sturdy, and I never had any probs with the ps2 one, though it is a ps2 GT3 pack original. Except the analogue sticks have got some teeth marks gnashed into them...

I've now got a handily placed pillow on the bed behind me to dish out beatings to instead of whupping pads. It took a thrashing during the Professor mission on Bourne.

Comment

I've still got the same DS2 that came with my launch PS2 and it's been thrown at least twice. The only problems I've had are a slightly sticky L2 button but that's only occasional and a quick knock sorts it out.

I also threw a wireless 360 pad once in a fit of online KENSHIRO RAGE (playing Gears) and b0rked the right bumper.

The sturdiest pad ever must be the XBOX IS HUGE original pads. I still have one and never actually owned one of the newer, smaller ones. I threw the biggie two or three times playing Ninja Gaiden and aside from a tiny scratch on one edge it's in perfect working order.

Comment

LOL.. Anger management guys. Relax! It's a hobby, you're meant to enjoy gaming. I know a guy who used to do that often, pad going flying around the room, we used to wind him up further

It's difficult comparing current pads to, say, the classic SNES model. Analogue mechanisms are far more sensitive than digital switches, so no surprise they break more.

I'm unsure about brittle plastics being to blame if you throw a controller at a wall and it breaks in half In the good old days of joystick gaming, I had a lot of sticks literally break off in my hand. Only the Competition Pro was sturdy enough to survive. If a joystick / pad breaks through usage, then maybe the plastic is too blame. Though it depends on how much usage it gets. Already my PS3 pad is starting to feel a little ropey on the left analogue, and one of the buttons doesn't feel quite right. I went through a few 360 pads, the analogue sticks start off nice and smooth but that feel doesn't last. Also the rubber on the thumbsticks wears down quickly.

There would appear to be quite a few pad-abusers around these parts. Chill out guys! We're all getting older, sooner or later you'll have a heart attack from all that gaming anxiety

Comment

Never thrown or purposely broken something gaming related, so all my stuff is in great, working condition.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
            The 360 pad is really sturdy
            Halo Rage has taken the life of three 360 controllers and wounded a fourth. All it took was a few palm punches to the side and they cracked like eggs. The wounded one has two broken off screw holes on the right hand side after just two palms. That was the lamest one of the five. I managed to make a couple of working ones from the original three broken ones but they also succumbed to The Rage.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
              Halo Rage has taken the life of three 360 controllers and wounded a fourth. All it took was a few palm punches to the side and they cracked like eggs. The wounded one has two broken off screw holes on the right hand side after just two palms. That was the lamest one of the five. I managed to make a couple of working ones from the original three broken ones but they also succumbed to The Rage.
              I'm worried about you guys now. You seriously punch your pads??

Comment

Man, you must be Hercules or something. Did it not batter your hand?

I've dropped my pad dozens of times, and thrown it twice, but my puny efforts have made no impact on it. Now the pillow gets it good and proper.

Comment

I thought I had grown out of game rage, but Halo 3 Live pushes me over the edge sometimes and I can't control it. I know it's stupid and I shouldn't do it, but when The Rage takes over, that's it! One time I punched a controller to pieces and then proceeded to smash it into the floor before stamping on it for good measure. I've also got a hole in my bedroom door from CoD2 on Veteran, but no casualties from CoD4 Vet. I am much much calmer now though.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                    I am much much calmer now though.
                    Well that's good

Comment

think recently i have been a little stormy, but i have a beanbag in my room and normally throw the controller into the beanbag

a proper full strength throw, must have forgotten where i was and just smashed it into the ground where the beanbag normally sits

I'm still sure with the original dual shocks and the PSone pads they survived with a few scrapes here and there which would tell a story to other people playing your games

cant exactly tell a story anymore when its in 2 equal parts, might take it back game stating i thnk there is a fault with the controller, they might swop it

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                        cant exactly tell a story anymore when its in 2 equal parts, might take it back game stating i thnk there is a fault with the controller, they might swop it
                        You should definitely try this. And if they refuse, chuck the 2 parts across the shop

Comment

would also like to point out Karma

i work 432 miles from my gamesroom and i only brought 1 controller with me

so unless i buy another, which i wont as i'm Scottish and i have plenty of them in the house i wont be able to play anything for 7-10 days until i go home

damn you Karma *shakes fist*

Comment

Can't you just bind the halves together with masking tape? Worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              Can't you just bind the halves together with masking tape? Worth a shot.
                              circuit board and everything is in 2 bits, so even with the best knowledge of circuitry in the world i doubt its fixable

Comment

Working...
                              X