PS2 game tops japanese charts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 game tops japanese charts!

Fair enough it s not headline news but its amazing that a ps2 was the highest selling game in a week in japan with Persona 4.

What sort of legs does everyone reckon this console has over there and here on our shores?

Links: http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

I'll be more surprised if a PS2 game make it into the top 10 in the UK from now on.

(On 2nd thought, this is even more unlikely as multiformat games, which are currently the best selling games on PS2, are counted along with other formats.)

I don't think the PS2 format will last significantly shorter in the UK compared to Japan though, it's still a good revenue for the shops here.

Comment

What I think is interesting about the PS2 compared to the extraordinary longevity of the PS/One is that there have been some genuine quality games released on it since the current gen console took over.

Much of the PS/One's afterlife was due to budget, cheap film tie-ins and kiddy titles. There is more of that now (there always was some) with the PS2 but there are decent, if niche, exclusives and recent cross-platform games still often include a PS2 version. Tomb Raider: Underworld is a good up-coming example.

The PS2 will fade away eventually but it's huge user base and lack of backwards compatability of the latest PS3s I think will mean it will be a supported format for quite some time. I just wish the same thing had applied to the XBox.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        I just wish the same thing had applied to the XBox.
        Quoted for truth.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          Much of the PS/One's afterlife was due to budget, cheap film tie-ins and kiddy titles. There is more of that now (there always was some) with the PS2 but there are decent, if niche, exclusives and recent cross-platform games still often include a PS2 version. Tomb Raider: Underworld is a good up-coming example.
          I wonder if the PS2 owes a debt of gratitude to the Wii. With the popularity of Nintendo's console, many dev teams set up independent teams to work on PS2/Wii versions.

Comment

I think it will be around for a while yet, its become the budget console of the sony range, much like the PS1 did, even at E3 they alluded to this. In Japan it seems to be even more so, where fairly big RPG and anime related titles are regually getting released still.

Comment

Working...
            X