Do you lend games to friends ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you lend games to friends ?

Just a question, used to do it loads when software was Cassette then Cartridge based media, but now everything is on the so much more easily damaged disc format people seem wary friends won't look after games to their desired standard. I lend to a few friends, but wouldn't to a number who would probably use them as beer mats or something.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Sometimes, if asked
    0%

I have voted no. I sometimes let one friend borrow a few games at a time, but thats it! He has been my friend for years and he is the only person I trust not to mess up my stuff.
    Last edited by Skull Commander; 21-07-2008, 10:16.

Comment

I've found through bitter experience is that people don't look after stuff your stuff the way you would and generally stuff comes back scuffed or dog eared, etc.

Many of these people treat their own stuff like that, thus don't know that they're doing wrong and don't understand when you tell them. I don't even lend stuff to family members (unless I don't want it back, or am not particularly attached to it, perhaps like a paperback or a common-as-muck, been on TV, 5 quid in the supermarket, DVD).

I would never lend a limited edition, rare or prized games, vinyl, CD, DVD, book, etc. as you can guarantee, that there will be at least one defect when you get it back.

Worse still, are those who actually trash what you lend them (rare but it has happened), the ultimate wankerism; those who don't return your stuff and after weeks of badgering deny they had it or give it back trashed.

Comment

No, but then I don't really have any friends who are gamers, so my game tapes stay put.

Comment

I tend not to lend games out and do several things to encourage people not to ask, such as buying imported games that won't work on their machines. There is one friend I lend games to if asked because I trust him with it (though I may have to rethink this once his kid learns how to move on his own) and some of my brothers friends borrow games from me from time to time.

Comment

It doesn't bother me, I don't tend to keep onto my games for long now. If anything I'm more worried that I'm losing value whilst they borrow it!

Comment

Not ever. I don't know many people that are into games anyway, but this stretches to all other media as well.

Nobody I know is as careful with their stuff as I am, so I'd rather not take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                ....but now everything is on the so much more easily damaged disc format....

Anyone remember (David probably will ) just before cd's were launched, there was a commercial on tv for them explaining about them, and i seem to remember the guy saying how indestructible they were, and spreading one with jam?

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                  Anyone remember (David probably will ) just before cd's were launched, there was a commercial on tv for them explaining about them, and i seem to remember the guy saying how indestructible they were, and spreading one with jam?
                  I remember that on 80's "futuristic" show Tomorrows World. I seem to remember that they couldn't even snap the discs

Comment

I lend only to people I trust.

What I don't like is lending stuff to people who don't use it. If I lend you a game, and find it's been sitting gathering dust on your shelf for 6 months, I will ask for it back. I'd rather it gather dust on my shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
                      No, but then I don't really have any friends who are gamers, so my game tapes stay put.
                      Similar for me - my only home console is a NTSC Wii, if it was a Pal one I probably would lend out games once I'd done with them. Though actually I'd be more inclined to sell tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                        I remember that on 80's "futuristic" show Tomorrows World. I seem to remember that they couldn't even snap the discs
                        Wanna give the flexing a go with one of yah more treasured games in your collection?

I dont like lending my games out either, as im a bit of asad case when it comes to my ish.......

I do have a few gaming friends, but my excuse which doesnt tend to hold water these days now is that it would not work on their PAL machines as i used to only get Ntsc-J versions of stuff

But now, 'most' things i have are multi region so its harder to come up with a decent arguement. the only thing i DO have going for me is that i have a PS3 and they are on a 360, which means i get all the PS3 jibes BUT at least my collection stays minty frsh

I remember when i did lend stuff out it was only ever Xbox games, and at the time i did not care too much for the xblock as it was err .......... not the apple of my eye lol.

So, NO i don't lend stuff and i NO i don't like to. Although i will say i HATE lending my games stuff out, there is jus no respect............ The only peeps id lend to at a push would probably be Bleeders and TBM on here lol, as the stuff they sell me come in better condition than when it hits the shops lol.........

Comment

I lent my mate GTA IV ages ago, and he hasn't even been playing it. I've been checking up on him secretly via Xbox.com "Last played 22/06/2008"

Comment

I had similar, my mate was adament he wanted to play Condemned 2 "properly" when I'd decided I no longer wanted it as I wasn't impressed. He borrowed it over a month, didn't touch it once in that time and it dropped from being a full price trade in to being worth about £10 in that time

Comment

Sure, but they know if it comes back in bad condition I'd be angry. I lent a mate my £800 cd player for a weekend too and that was when I originally got it, and he seems to borrow my digicam all the time. He really should get a new one. hehe, hmm come to think of it he still has about 4 of my things, but at least I know about it. blarg

Comment

Working...
                              X