• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
    1) COD4 - DS

2) Orange Box - PC

3) Lost Planet - PC

4) Assassins Creed - PC

I am guessing that you never bothered to read the first post in this thread. Your answer helps no-one and adds nothing to the debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
      The result is that 360 multiplatform titles may not be pushing the console as much as we'd all like. The irony here being that PS3 only titles will likely have an advantage over 360 only titles anyway within a year due to the Cell. But right now, multiplatform devs won't be busting their arse figuring out the Cell, so the PS3 version may well end up holding back the 360 version.

It's an interesting situation.
      Switching to the PS3 as the main platform should benefit both consoles. The techniques needed for good results on the PS3 also work on the 360. Plus, there is no particular magic inside the Cell that means PS3 games will out perform the 360. It seems to be all the rage in server and super-computer applications, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it was the best choice for a games console.

Comment

1) COD4 - Whatever your friends have.

2) Orange Box - 360 Version. (Alternatively the PC version if you have a capable PC).

3) Lost Planet - 360 Version, specifically the Colonies Edition. It has the stuff that the PS3 version has (few new camera options and character models) and brand new gametypes and maps.

4) Assassins Creed - Read comparison sites. I'm not entirely sure.

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
          Switching to the PS3 as the main platform should benefit both consoles. The techniques needed for good results on the PS3 also work on the 360. Plus, there is no particular magic inside the Cell that means PS3 games will out perform the 360. It seems to be all the rage in server and super-computer applications, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it was the best choice for a games console.
          Absolutely, learning to parallel program properly will help 360 development.

I think the Cell is probably one generation too "advanced" for games development. Once devs have better experience handling parallel programming on CUDA, that will [I imagine] benefit the Cell architecture. Whether Sony stick with the Cell for the PS4 will be the interesting thing - they must surely either go Cell or a more familiar x86 style processor. I don't imagine they'll try another new processor, but you never know with Sony!

There's no "magic" in the Cell, but ultimately it will give devs who can get to grips with it an advantage with better physics, AI, etc, as well as being able to offload more of the graphics work from the GPU. I think the Cell has more to give longterm than the 360s CPUs. Whether anyone can get to grips with it within the machines timeframe is debatable, as is whether the substantial amount of extra development needed for the Cell is really worth it given the higher sales of multiplatform titles.

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
            1) COD4 - DS
            You poor, poor soul

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
              You poor, poor soul
              Was a bad joke, I believe.

Comment

If there's a version that's significantly better, I'll go for that. Other than that, price is an issue - I bought DMC4 on the 360 because it was ?10 cheaper - and online is a big deal for me, which almost always swings it in favour of the 360 because all my friends have them (including the ones with PS3s) and it has a much larger online community.

As for the ones you listed:

COD4 - Both versions are perfectly good, but I went for 360 for the aforementioned online thing. The 360 version got the DLC first and according to what Infinity Ward has said it has by far the biggest online community of the three versions.

Orange Box - Console-wise, it's definitely a 360 buy. The PS3 one was a third-party port whereas Valve handled the 360 one itself, and it shows.

Lost Planet - I got it on the 360 because it came out over a year (I think?) before the PS3 version, so it wasn't an issue then. I think the 360 version runs better either way.

I don't have Assassin's Creed, so let's ignore that one.

Comment

looks like 360 all round thanks peeps!

Comment

Do keep in mind that you've always got a risk that your 360 might blow up when you so much as try and play a game on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X