Copy protection properly removed from Wii saves YAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy protection properly removed from Wii saves YAY

Don't know if this is well known or not but im creating a separate thread just for it as i think it's pretty awesome.

When the homebrew channel first came out there were a couple of apps that could extract copy protected saves, the program worked but was messy as it split your save into lots of files & it coudnt be restored back to the wii in a normal way.

Well tonight i was looking for new apps & ones i hadn't tried before & i gave GeckoOS 1.07b a try, it works a bit like the freeloader did but has an amazing extra feature.

In the rebooter options theres a option to remove the copy protection flag, if you disable it & then press B to reboot your wii, while its running you can copy any of your protected saves to an sd card. Now heres the cool bit once the saves are copied to the sd card their copy protection will permanently be removed so it can then be moved wherever you like just like normal save files. The act & behave just like regular saves with no ill effects at all. I tried it on a few of my saves like smash bros, pokemon battle revolution, rockman 9, elebits & it worked perfectly.

No more having to worry about my saves been locked to the machine. I now have them all backed up on my pc & can be restored to any wii i want.

You will need the homebrew channel installed to use gekoOS though, the homebrew channel is the best thing to happen to the wii.
    Last edited by charlesr; 05-10-2008, 06:49.

Genius. Didn't know it had that feature. So dumb having them machine locked.

Comment

Just noticed one thing, once you use the save in a game & the game updates the save it re-enables the copy protection flag, so the save will only stay copyable until the game writes to it.

But not really a problem it take mere moments to run the program again, for when you want to make backups of your saves.

Comment

Excellent, I know the old app you're talking about, and although it did the job, it was quite messy. This sounds perfect though.

Comment

Working...
        X