collectors edition games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

collectors edition games

wondered do people buy these versions of releases ? ....and whats some of the best and worst

two of my favs ....fallout 3....really loved the Tin box the making of dvd and the little toy.....bioshock was another great making off and throught the model big daddy was really cool

If they have stuff that interests me, then yes... otherwise, no chance.

Comment

Most LE or SE have become so common now, I barely bother looking at what contents are included, as they're normally not great.

Comment

I don't buy these. I spent the extra on the Halo 2 CE and after that I've been strictly buying normal retail releases. For one thing, the boxart is generally a lot better and I also like the consistency of having all the same boxes.

I'm not interested in gaming figurines, posters or any other cack they may include, so it's only the 'making ofs' and video features that interest. I'm sure I could find that stuff elsewhere if I was sufficiently interested, but I can't remember the last time I was.

Comment

indeed, they are hardly 'limited editions', plus they just take up more space.

I don't think I've ever bought an LE or collectors edition of something.

Comment

I'm a sucker for steel-box editions for some reason, but other than that i don't really bother.

Comment

I used to get them, but only if they have something like a music soundtrack CD. Don't bother with the art book / comics, crappy plastic toys anymore, far too many of them.

Comment

I only buy collectors editions of games that I think I will want to keep, otherwise theres not much point in having a nice box and what not if youre just going to get rid of the game a few week later.

Also most of the time the extra content is rubbish anyway

I have the limited edition of Gears 2 pre ordered, but thats the closest thing to a collectors edition type thing ive bought for a while to be honest.
                Last edited by rmoxon; 01-11-2008, 19:02.

Comment

I've never bought one either. More gaming tat is the last thing I need cluttering up my house and most of it is cack anyway. And having a metal box isn't going to enhance my enjoyment of the game so why pay extra? Game were asking an extra tenner on top of their already extortionate prices for the 'exclusive' metal tin edition of Brothers in Arms for example, and all it's going to do is get in the way of opening the regular box inside.

Comment

I'm a sucker for a nice collector's edition, plain and simple. I will only get them for a game I am gonna keep or if they are the same price as the normal edition though. I still have my Dead Rising, Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Halo 3 and Soul Calibur IV ones.

Comment

nope for me as well.

its not like dvd SE's where you an get extra actual film footage, I'll only consider them then if I get more levels or content.

At the mo £10 for a bigger box and some assorted cack is daylight robbery.

Comment

I think it's easily a way of getting more from us. I was very tempted with Fallout 3, but I honestly doubt I'd care that much about the contents, although the collector's edition strategy guide sounds like it could set a trend, and it might even be the first strategy guide I'll have bought for a decade.

Comment

I'm a sucker for collector's editions & tin boxes, but at least I recognise I'm a sucker!

On the positive side, I do buy a lot of games secondhand, which pretty much subsidises the cost of the collector's editions I buy. I guess, too, that in my case CEs "compensate" the publishers for the money they don't make on the secondhand games that they don't make any money from.

In an age of digital media in which bits can be indefinitely & losslessly copied, special editions are the way that media producers are going to have to make their money. Make quality games and sell them cheap, so that they'll still be selling in a few years' time (see GoG) and make more money on fancy special edition goodies that can't be copied.

I just wish they'd get on with being more original about it than simple tin boxes!

Comment

I do like a nice limited edition, though "nice" is a relative term. Most aren't really worth the extra cash. The art books they give away now are generally awful; I'll pay an extra tenner for something I can actually stick on a shelf and take down every now and then, but not for some crappy little pamphlet that looks like the stereotypical work experience underling put it together (Infinity Ward are the worst offenders, and Gears of War/GTA not far behind).

DVDs and what have you aren't much better. The Bioshock "making of" was particularly bad... talking heads telling you nothing you couldn't get from trawling the net for five minutes. One of the best - probably the best I've seen so far - was the God of War 2 LE; the extra DVD on that had some really nice stuff on it. The documentary was a decent length and refreshingly unflattering (you know, the kind of thing an actual film would commission) and the little features on the art, the unused levels and such were a lot of fun. At the other end of the scale, Infinity Ward again - that bloody DVD with CoD 4 was appalling. "We don't actually know anything about what the SAS did during the Gulf War"... so why am I watching this again? Pathetic.

Comment

Shadow of the Colossus - Japanese box set is very nice

Wanda to Kyozou / Shadow of the Colossus [Limited Edition] for PlayStation 2This is a used item. If not otherwise mentioned below, spine card is included for titles that originally came with spine cards.aka. Shadow of the ColossusTales speak of an ancient land where creatures the size of mountains, roam the majestic landscape. Bound to the land, these creatures hold a key to a mystical power of revival - a power you must obtain to waken a loved one.Shadow of the Colossus is a majestic journey through ancient lands to seek out and destroy gigantic mythical beasts. With your trusty ...

I remember seeing a copy sell for over $1000 on ebay about 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X