New game price drops. What the hell?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New game price drops. What the hell?!?

So then, as everyone can plainly see the country is in financial disarray.

Us gamers however seem to either be making out like bandits, or getting stung for our over anxiousness.

Lets take a look....

Fable 2 - £19.99
    Dead Space - £24.99
    Fallout 3 - £27.99
    Far Cry 2 - £24.99
    Little Big Planet - £22
    Last Remnant - £17.99 a week after release??
    Valkyria Chronicles - £19.99

These are just a small few of the bargains availaible as of now for big name titles, and quite frankly- im shocked. Its obvious why, games are expensive, people are skint, shops need cash.

But still, blimey!

Ive just got Fallout 3 360 for £13 with reward points, but bought Last Remnant last week for £31.99, when now its £17.99.

I got Gears for £27, am getting Far Cry from the mrs for chrimbo at £25, and likely to get Valkyria Chronicles tomorrow for £20.

The only full price games ive paid for is Tomb Raider Underworld and Red Alert 3, even then that was with credit from my old 360. Luckily Fable 2 and Dead Space came free with my new 360 so I havent been too shafted with the deals, and ended up quite well. Well..that is apart from the Last Remnant. (HALF PRICE IN A WEEK??!? WTF?!!?)

Now I have a stack of games that im unlikely to get through quickly, but will combat the summer drought ahead nicely

So how have you faired? Made out like a bandit, or lost £100's for nothing?
    Last edited by MrKirov; 28-11-2008, 17:53.

Nope this is where my gaming life is an epic fail of monumental proportions

I own...

Jpn 360
    Jpn PS2
    US Wii

I can rarely buy a game from the highstreet
    Everything I buy has to be carefully chosen & I expect to pay well over £25+ for anything delivered these days (Wii software is cheapest at the mo) so nope I shall continue to be raped by our pants economy for the foreseable futue

Neil

Comment

It is crazy this year with stuff having at least a tenner shaved off it in a week or down to half price in less than a month.

I've not lost as much as I would have because I put some of the big releases down as Chrimbo presents. The other half is tamping at the drops in Dead Space et al though (she's taken some back as they were still sealed and picked them up again cheaper).

In terms of the stuff I've bought like Gears, Fallout and Fable etc I have lost out but I have no problem with having paid what I did so that I could play it when I did.

My philosophy is that it's best not to worry about price drops too much otherwise you'll never stop being angry

Comment

Last Remnant sold extremely poorly according to the NPD figures so they're probably trying to shift stock.

It's also to do with the way game retail works I think, with games having very short shelf lives and anything that doesn't sell the instant it comes out being written down and gotten rid of so they have room for next week's new titles.

The drastic price-cutting extravaganza going on at retailers generally is a positive thing for consumer IMO, especially since inflation was really starting to bite in the last 18 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
          My philosophy is that it's best not to worry about price drops too much otherwise you'll never stop being angry
          I would tend to agree.

But The Last Remnant, half price. A WEEK AFTER RELEASE.

I wouldnt usually care, but A WEEK AFTER RELEASE!?!?? Even then it was bought for me (well, I was given the cash) But Think what I could have done with that ?13

Comment

I've just bought Last Remnant for the mentioned £17.99, only because i'm a Squeenix whore. Also picked up Nuts n Bolts for £17.99 last week off ebay.
            Looks like it's not worth pre-ordering anymore as it's us keen gamers that lose out in the end. It happens every year but this year seems unprecedented partly due to the current retail climate.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
              Last Remnant sold extremely poorly according to the NPD figures so they're probably trying to shift stock.
              Well thats it exactly, but I thought ?30 was a good price, and at the end of the day if it were to go down I accepted that. But a week later? Its great for us an all but I feel shafted!

Expecially as I opened it, but havent played it yet >.< Maybe theres a lesson to be learned there.

I hate to imagine what kind of money some people have lost on here with this going on mind....

Comment

Where the **** is TLR selling for &#163;17.99? I have to get it at that price.

Oh and Valkyria Chronicles too

Comment

I bought Endwar to join the online war day one. I spent a week waiting for my mate to stop playing the Left 4 Dead demo and then my 360 dies. It's now &#163;20 >. I paid &#163;20 for the priveledge of 2 weeks grr.

Sorry if I am being dense but where is the Last Remnant available for that price?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                    Where the **** is TLR selling for ?17.99? I have to get it at that price.

Oh and Valkyria Chronicles too
                    The Last Remnant is ?17.99 on Play.com, Valkyria Chronicles is ?19.99 instore only in Gamestation according to todays Metro.

Comment

Time to grab that then , thanks.

Comment

Didn't see VC in my local store, will be buying TLR tho - despite cursing play for their price diddling with LittleBigPlanet.

Comment

Didn't see VC in my local store, will be buying TLR tho - despite cursing play for their price diddling with LittleBigPlanet.

i learnt a long time ago not to buy new from Play and i havent for a long long time

Comment

You aren't very strong willed are you?
                            For those of you out there who haven't bought this yet:

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

Given the state of our economy of recent, I think to drop the price of this by a whole &#163;10 just days after it releases is unscrupulous and I know it's going to take something VERY special for me to shop there again...Play can suck my balls
                            Originally posted by Daragon
                            Damnit, I told myself I'd never shop at play again after their LittBigPlanet fiasco, but I must have that preorder bonus!

Comment

LOL.

I'm waiting for L4D to drop. And probably a cheap &#163;20 MS2 as well

Comment

Working...
                              X