Anyone else this poorly motivated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else this poorly motivated?

Was chatting to a friend about this earlier and I realised how few games I own that I've actually completed. I only own a 360 and a DS. I haven't completed any of my 15 or so DS games, and for my 360 I have 22 games and I've only finished five of them. The rest I'm either stuck, bored of, or right at the start and haven't got properly into yet.

For example, I tried the

Bank Job

mission on GTA4 once, but the AI spazzed on me and those two guys you're with (I forget their names) stopped shooting cops and instead just walked around slowly. The cops also only aimed for me, so I got my ass handed to me in no time. That was pretty near the end of the mission and I really couldn't be bothered with it again if it was an AI fault.
    Another example if Ace Combat 6. I'm stuck on Mission 9 on that one. Tried it at least 20 times now and I can't make any progress with it at all so I can't be bothered with it.

Examples of just getting bored or being right at the start are Fallout 3 (About 11 hours in, stopped playing and can't be bothered with it at all), and DMC4 (I'm only on the third level or something, just haven't got into it yet).

Pretty much every game I buy I get stuck and never play again or just stop playing. It wouldn't be so bad if I could sell them for a decent price but I can't afford or be arsed to keep up with new releases so most of the games I have are worthless by the time I buy them.

360 games I own are:
    • Test Drive Unlimited (got bored/stuck)
    • Crackdown (completed)
    • Amped 3 (can't get into this even though I love snowboarding)
    • Virtua Tennis 3 (got down to 90th or something then i suddenly got impossible)
    • Stranglehold (tried the bit where you have to protect the band once, failed, didn't try again. Those 'protect XXXX!' objectives are one of my least favourite things in games so there's no chance I'll try it again)
    • Bioshock (15 minutes or so from the end, just can't be arsed)
    • Ranbow Six Vegas (stuck on a bit right near the end, tried countless times but no luck)
    • PGR3 (completed)
    • Ridge Racer 6 (not bored of this but completing it will take a while)
    • GRAW 1 (got stuck/bored)
    • Halo 3 (completed single player)
    • Gears of War (got sick of the copy/paste levels on Act 5 and those wretches I thought were a really cheap enemy)
    • skate. (completed several times)
    • The Orange Box (Completed HL2, Ep 1 and played Ep 2 up to the end. Tried that stupid hunter/strider bit dozens of times but couldn't do it)
    • Lost Planet (Only on Level 2 or 3, the controls are gash, lost interest because of that)
    • Burnout Revenge (pretty much completed it on Xbox so there's not much motivation to do so again)
    • Call of Duty 4 (completed single player, keep it for multiplayer)
    • GTA4 (pissed with the AI, can't be bothered trying again)
    • Devil May Cry 4 (not got into it yet)
    • Fallout 3 (lost interest)
    • Ace Combat 6 (stuck)
    • Mirror's Edge (no problems)
    Now I think about it I'm not sure what my point is but you see how most of those are worthless now if I wanted to sell them. Maybe I'm just a crap gamer, but is anyone else like this? Most people I know complete every game they buy (pretty much), whereas with me what I've described happens.

Lame. Ah well, discuss! (somehow)

Did you have the same problems in the last gen? Are there other things you are more into in your life? For me it was cars a few years back and really dropped away from gaming until I had to see up to buy a sensible car.

Maybe you just don't enjoy the games you have got.

Comment

I've been on a serious games drought for ages now. My 360 went tits up back in April and I didn't send it it to get repaired until June (I think). While it was gone I didn't touch the PS3 and the only thing I played on the Wii was Mario Kart (although I did play that a heck of a lot).

Since getting the 360 back I've barely turned it on, and I've got a good five or six meaty games waiting for me to play them (Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect and a few others) yet I just can't seem to summon up the will to sit down and have a proper gaming session with them. Not even playing MK that much either.

I'm sure too that at some point I'll finally get around to playing something for a couple of hours and I'll end up playing every day again. It's just the weirdness of being human I reckon

Comment

The Bank Job mission is actually pretty easy as long as you get yourself fully armoured and tooled up before you start. Took me about 3 attempts. I know what you mean about the 2 guys with you just wandering about tho, as it can be annoying. Just make sure that when they start to move to another area, try to stick with them and kill the cops from cover using the machine gun (M16 i think). Once you get to the subway, its a doddle.

Gotta be honest with you tho, a lot of the games you have listed are either too long winded to complete or are as you said; boring. Devil May Cry 4 tho is a different matter entirely, lol

Virtua tennis 3 isn't overly difficult tho and i'm surprsied you didn't get further than 90th. Once you get your player really levelled up, you should be creaming the opposition in the top events and the slams. I think I was around number 10 in the world when i was winning the top events before getting to number one. In fact, the only player to consistently give me headaches was Dent. Fooking pain in the ass at drop shots and net play. I bet he wishes he was that good in real life.

Another issue could be that gamers are now inundated with a sheer amount of decent titles meaning you have only just started one when another comes along forcing you to lose interest in the one you were playing.
        Last edited by NemesiS; 29-12-2008, 13:40.

Comment

There's no reason why you should complete, or even enjoy every game you own any more than you should enjoy every film out there.

There are a million other hobbies out there, yet I think sometimes gamers put all their eggs in the gaming basket, which can lead to boredom as after all, variety is the spice of life.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            Did you have the same problems in the last gen? Are there other things you are more into in your life? For me it was cars a few years back and really dropped away from gaming until I had to see up to buy a sensible car.

Maybe you just don't enjoy the games you have got.
            Yeah, I'm a music student at college at the moment and next year I'm going on to study it at university so that is infinitely more important to me than video games. I still love games though but maybe you're right and I'm just not into the kind of games I have any more.

I think I make myself not play games a lot as well because I should be practicing pieces for my bass lessons at college or music theory or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Distant Cousin View Post
              Yeah, I'm a music student at college at the moment and next year I'm going on to study it at university so that is infinitely more important to me than video games. I still love games though but maybe you're right and I'm just not into the kind of games I have any more.

I think I make myself not play games a lot as well because I should be practicing pieces for my bass lessons at college or music theory or whatever.
              I'd recommend getting something like Electroplankton and the KORG synthesizer on your DS and, perhaps, a cheap PS2 with a copy of Frequency and Amplitude.

I get the feeling that combining music and games will create an unstoppable gaming passion in your pants.

Comment

Oh I have the Korg synth! It's great ^_^ Although I should probably do something more productive than just cocking about with it.

I tried Guitar Hero but I hated that. Not tried anything like Frequency or Rez, I'm guessing they're not trying to replicate any kind of instruments?

Comment

I didnt like GH much either. My wife in fact hated it, she said she might as well play her own guitar. We have both never been much for Rhythm action games but I can see why people like them.
                  Rez is pretty awesome, in fact for me its a game that deserves a perfect 10.

I was a huge RPG collector, still am really but since returning to games I have just been playing the old ones I purchased in the last few years. Possibly a break from gaming to explore other avenues wil respark your interest in the coming times. After all I think once a gamer always a gamer.

Comment

Aye I was thinking about having a break from it really. Finish the games I want to finish then just sack everything else and not bother coming back to them.

Comment

All those games you are stuck on, have you tried Gamefaqs? Just to get you over the hump, there's always ONE bit that seems impossible but then seeing a solution though different eyes makes it all click.

If you want to offload AC6 then I'm sure someone would want it ;-)

Comment

Perhaps its worth having a couple on the backburner. Things like Rez, Mario Kart or another short type racer. Just so you arent playing something that requires mega effort to finish.

Comment

You didn't mention doing Portal from the Orange Box. If you haven't then that should be your next stop. It's only a few hours long so you can complete the main section in 2 or 3 sittings and you'll think games are great again

Comment

Aha, well Portal is another one. I got right up to that very last bit, but I failed at that several times too so I gave up. I've seen the ending though.

Comment

Reaching the last boss counts as completing a game

Metroid Prime, Jet Force Gemini for example...

Comment

Working...
                              X