Games Vs something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games Vs something else

Inspired by something Dogg Thang said in the most recent gaming apathy thread (they crop up every couple of months)....

If games ceased to exist so you spent a couple of hours doing something else instead, then would it be anything useful/life enhancing or would it be similar stuff, like read a book / watch a film.

Stuff I class as life enhancing involves exercise / spending time with friends and family / making money (or perhaps learning something that will eventually lead to increased wealth) to support self/family etc.

I'm sure other people's views on what should be in that list will differ.

I'd probably be doing a lot more mountain biking.

If games ceased to exist then i'd probably end up doing something else that involves technology, like you said charles, i'd end up watching loads of films or listening to music. Nothing life enhancing, just the closest substitute I could find to videogmes.

Either that or i'd invent videogames, and make a fortune. Wich would both be enjoyable and life enhancing.

Comment

I would probably waste even more time on the internet

Comment

I'm playing less and less, and buying less and less, just trying to spend my money and time on other hobbies instead. I'll never fully give up though, its in my blood.

Comment

Games really are a big distraction for me.

I get a good 8 hours work done a day, on average, at uni. Since being home I've been doing about 4 hours a day.

Alongside work at uni, I manage to fit in going out a few nights a week, doing a bit of website work for my parents, running every other day, and doing a few things with different societies.

At home, when I'm not working, I'm on the internet or playstation. Haven't been for a single run in the last month, I've barely been out, and I'm behind with non-degree work as well as my degree.

I use my time a hell of a lot better when I don't have games, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
            I'm playing less and less, and buying less and less, just trying to spend my money and time on other hobbies instead. I'll never fully give up though, its in my blood.

Yup you never really give up. Im playing a little more again but thats because im broke now we have had a baby. My real passion is tuning cars.

Comment

Much like above comments

i reckon i buy games because i dont like to have alot of money in my bank accounts

if there wasn't games then i guess i would end up spending it on something else

would hate to think what i've spent on games since i started with an Acorn electron

Comment

Same here. But in 3 years I spent 10k on my old car. All hobbies are a losing thing

Comment

Probably spend more time on photography and getting my degree going.
                  I tried to give gaming a break because I was bored with it but then felt even more stagnant so jacked in the games I was halfway through and started on one I had wanted to play for a while but held off on. Then got bored of it coz the controls were a pain

Comment

Love gaming, most of which is done at weekends, but i must admit i spend about 3 hrs in the gym every day (more or less), and thats after working a 10 hour day!!!!

My worst habit is reading (i love it). I get in bed and i will read from about 11pm ish to about 3am then get up for work about 7:30am. Do the math what i have left for shagging and whatever esle

David Gemmell and Raymond E Feist et'al have a lot to answer for!

Dubai Sucks
                    Last edited by NemesiS; 30-12-2008, 00:22.

Comment

I'd be playing more guitar and writing more music for my as-yet-unfinished prog project. Music killed my gaming hobby once before, and it could do again. (Although how killed was it really if I'm here etc...)

Comment

I'd write and draw and shag.

Comment

If you have more than one hobby you never get bored as much, if i didnt have games to keep me occupied id probably play more pinball/ paint some gashapon figures/ read/ create some funky marble contraptions using my cological & cuboro sets/ mess around on my tenori/ go visit some national trust places on days out & tons more stuff.

Sometimes i think people here spend more time talking about games than actually playing them.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                            Sometimes i think people here spend more time talking about games than actually playing them.
                            Pretty much. I find it more fun sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                              Same.

Videogaming for me is ever diminishing, I can look at my collection now and see that as each generation creeps in I progresively end up with less and less games for each platform.

Nowadays I'm more concerned with becoming buff daddeh at teh gym and learning piano.

I might buy a fourth guitar this year, equipped with either Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMG 85s for some metal riffage, I might go for a Gibson Flying V so that I'm forced to practice stood up.

I was thinking about buying a nice sexy arcade cab, it really is a waste of money though.... what the hell is the point of getting 3rd Strike for the hallway if I'm going to totally decimate my work colleagues when they pop round? I might as well just make do with my DC for that.

It's about time I got a serious GF going somehow anyway... so I don't think I can go wrong with the old 'music & muscles' combo.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 30-12-2008, 06:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X