Why do I waste my cash ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I waste my cash ?

just got to wondering if the following is only me or others do it as well.

I don't like big quest adventure games, never have done, yet everytime a big new one is out promising to be the best thing ever and gets great reviews I always get drawn in, buy them, then need to get rid after one go.

I bought the first Fable, Fable II, Oblivion, Fallout 3, the list goes on yet I still hand over money for them. I can never be bothered with all the quests, lack of linearity. I'm not putting down their quality as games, just I never like them and never will, my aim is not start an overated games thread as I am sure these are all great examples of the genre.

Just wondered if there is anybody else who does the same for other genres hoping to be converted to them but is always disappointed.

I have now learnt my lesson, I will not buy any more of them in 2009. 09 will be the year I only buy games I like.

I am the same, I don't have the attention span for anything too lengthy so I tend to stay away from the genre too. The best games for me are where a huge yellow arrow pops up to tell me where to go next!

Yet I just bought Fable II just out of curosity. I know it will end in tears. Why do I do it? lol

You are not alone my friend!

Comment

Ive bought every single GTA game, and I have never been anywhere near completing any of them as i just dont think they are that intresting to play despite the fact that everyone raves about them. I feel that they have very well done open world enviroments, but if the gameplay contained within them was in other games they would be blasted, both criticaly and by the public.

Also, though I do like them alot, i buy loads of RPG's and rarely see the ending.

Comment

I do this too. Not with every game but I've recently got Fable II, Fallout 3, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery and FFIV when I know I have no hope of finishing them

Comment

Between the years of 2001-2004 or thereabouts, I went through a period of playing every game that got a good review, regardless of whether it was in a genre that I enjoyed. It was a punishing time for me and I'm glad it's over, but I do value those years because they taught me what I like and has made me more selective. I now enjoy games more than I used to as a result.

I would advise you to stick to your new year's resolution not to buy any lengthy adventure games, if you do not enjoy them. I have to say I really dislike lengthy games myself, and particularly RPGs, and generally refrain from purchasing them. In fact these days I would much prefer a play-time of 6-10 hours maximum so that I can move on and experience something new.

If you have to buy and try, why not wait until they come down in price?

Comment

I'm sort of the same, i bought Blue Dragon and Mass Effect and they are both still shrink wrapped. I do like that sort of game but just don't have the time to play them, but i still keep seeing Last Remnant and Lost Oddessy cheap and i get tempted but have managed to resist so far!

Comment

I've done this ever since I discovered Cave shooters.
              I've bought pretty much any shooter I can get my hands on for the PS2, Saturn & 360 but barely play any of them
              Just find I dig them out for the odd blast & then away they go again for a few months.
              Couldnt tell you why it's like that but I can also tell you I doubt I'll ever part with any of them.

I'm starting to do the same with 2D fighters now too...I'll never be any good at them but I love playing them anyway

Neil

Comment

I've definitely been guilty of this and RPGs and strategy games are the source for me. I never have the stamina to beat RPGs and I'm never good enough at strategy games. However, upon entering the current gen with my PS3, I've actually been able to play and beat a fair amount of the games I own. There are games I know I will not beat, but they are within reason. I'm trying to beat games before moving on to others and playing more than I can handle. Right now, I've found a balance that I previously didn't have.

Comment

I bought Fable II when I didn't like Fable.

I bought Fallout 3 when I didn't like Oblivion.

Incidentally, I've not played either game since buying them, even though I got them on day of release.

In fact, in terms of buying games and not playing them, this winter has been my worst yet - I have Pure, Fable II, Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 to remove from the cellophane, with Gears of War 2, LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 to dust down after putting each into my 360/PS3 once.

Unfortunately, my plan of getting through a chunk of those during my Christmas hols fell by the wayside thanks to Left 4 Dead taking up every second of my gaming time. Thanks Valve!

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                    Between the years of 2001-2004 or thereabouts, I went through a period of playing every game that got a good review, regardless of whether it was in a genre that I enjoyed. It was a punishing time for me and I'm glad it's over, but I do value those years because they taught me what I like and has made me more selective. I now enjoy games more than I used to as a result.
                    Oh I can relate to that. I went through a phase a few years ago where I bought every 'good' game and forced myself to play it, simply because I felt I had to. I didn't enjoy it one bit, quality games ended up being under-appreciated because I was so down while playing it, and I ended up lacking money, and significantly... I constantly felt burdened with all these games to play.

These days I rarely buy more than 1 game every 3 or so months, it's always a game I really really want, and it's so much more rewarding as a result.

Comment

I had a problem with RPGs that I have mostly cured myself of, and it worked something like this:

"Hey! (Square, Atlus, etc) just released a new RPG! I don't have time to play it RIGHT NOW... but if I don't buy it now, I will wind up paying double the price in a year when I decide to play it and it's out of print."

Do you know how few RPGs actually get rare and double in price? It's not many.

On the other hand, the number of RPGs I've paid full price for, have yet to play, and are easily purchased today for $20 or less is a VERY large number, and includes stuff like Magna Carta, Final Fantasy X-2 & XII, and Stella Deus.

...sigh

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                        I have now learnt my lesson, I will not buy any more of them in 2009. 09 will be the year I only buy games I like.
                        I did that in 2008... guess how many games I bought?

Admitedly I would have bought Dead Space for myself on it's release if I knew beforehand that it was this good.

Comment

great to see I'm not alone, I'm sticking to sports games, racing games (the simple ones not the sims), puzzle games and action adventure/platformy things.

nothing that has the words quest, experience points, shoot em up, simulation etc

I'm looking forward to a year of 30mins session of mindless gaming !

I'm getting the itch I can't scratch on a couple of games at the moment that I'm sure I won't like but know I'll end up getting, Banjo Nuts & Bolts I'm looking at you.
                          Last edited by merf; 04-01-2009, 10:14.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                            Banjo Nuts & Bolts I'm looking at you.
                            Why even bother? Money better spent downloading the N64 original from Live Arcade. With the rest of the cash you could go for a really nice meal or get a new top or something.

Comment

Nuts and Bolts is a great game, and what a strange thread.

I would of thought it would be obvious to buy what games you like rather than what's been reviewed good. They could give some basketball game 10/10 and I wouldn't buy it as I don't like basketball. Same for puzzle games, I don't like them so I don't buy them.

Comment

Working...
                              X