Mount & Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount & Blade

Does anyone else here play Mount & Blade?

Just wondering if you could recommend any mods, other than the unit increase mod. Maaaaan those 3000 unit battles are EPIC, running into 300 arrows coming right at you hurts though

Heard of this the other day on a podcast (think it was Gamers with Jobs) and I can't stop thinking about/playing it

i played the beta of this ages ago. was great fun, especially considering it was designed by just some guy and his wife (i think).

wasnt there a lord of the rings mod?

Comment

Yeah was just one guy and his wife.

Yeah I had a brief look over the mod forum a second ago and there's quite a few total conversion mods like LOTR, Song of Fire and Ice, Warhammer 40'k, Crusades, Holy Wars etc.

Comment

God this game has gotten its hooks in me. Had planned to either finish the last boss on Persona 4 or start Far Cry 2/Vampire Story but no I ended up playing M&B until 1am

Ended up becoming a vassal to the Kingdom of Swadia and took part in my first castle siege, which was a bit manic, with 200 infantry trying to climb up 1 ladder

A HD video of a siege battle, he doesnt seem to have many units with him but he does have a piece of siege equipment
        Edit: Can't get the embeded video to work so heres the link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L-O_AaTjRgQ

Here's some dudes video of a battle, about 300 people I think, from the 100 year war mod.
        Edit: Can't get the embeded video to work so heres the link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKCjcFrleU
        Last edited by Orgun; 13-01-2009, 08:14.

Comment

(Even though I think im the only one playing this)
          Found a nice list of mods that improve the native version

Comment

Back again to pimp my game of 2008 (even though it was released in like 2005 ), it's part of Valves weekend 75% off deal.

Calradia is a land at war, offering great riches and even greater dangers to adventurers and mercenaries that flock to shed their blood on its soil. With courage and a strong sword, an unknown stranger can make a name as a warrior. Free-form sand-box gameplay.

£6.25

Comment

I bought this recently in a steam deal and wow what a nice game. This smacks of "If nobody else is going to make the game I want to play I will make it myself". The guy who made this deserves dev of the year for this game. Playing it was like a total antidote to MW2 and all the other FPS I played over the last 5 years. I see there is a sequel coming out in a couple of weeks with 64 player multiplayer. Must buy day one purchase if its anywhere near as cool as the first game.
              Also a nice change for a great PC game you can max out without having a 3 grand kit

Comment

Yup, I'm still playing it now and again I'm also in the beta for the multiplayer which I think you can still get into with your original games Key.

Check out this thread for some good mod tips.

I think so far my "games of this generation" are

1) Mass Effect 2
                2) Demon's Souls
                3) Mount & Blade

So I highly rate it

Comment

Love M&B, it's great stuff, epic at times. Sort of gave up on it a while ago, I kept getting so far to run out of cash or people, so the downhill slope from army general to serf would set in and it seemed there was nothing I did could stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
                    Yup, I'm still playing it now and again I'm also in the beta for the multiplayer which I think you can still get into with your original games Key.

Check out this thread for some good mod tips.

I think so far my "games of this generation" are

1) Mass Effect 2
                    2) Demon's Souls
                    3) Mount & Blade

So I highly rate it
                    Thanks for the info, I am downloading the beta for Warband at the moment.
                    Regarding the Mods for the original. Is the original game still playable when you install them? I installed a Lord Of The Rings mod for Medievel Total War and it replaced the Kingdoms expansion completely. I didnt mind on that game but wouldnt like to lose the original Mount & Blade

Comment

Vanilla is somewhat limited - God, I wish it had a story! - and pig-ugly but Jesus, there's nothing quite like the combat. Basic animations and textures aside the feel of it is simply astonishing. I screw up cutting people down on horseback all the time but when I get it right there's few things more satisfying in any game I've ever played.

At ?24.99 I still think it's priced too high, but I picked it up for less than a fiver in a Steam weekend sale and couldn't be happier. Not to mention that with Graphical Enhancements 2.5 + Polished Landscapes + Polished Buildings + HD Skyboxes + HD Worldmap the battle engine looks exceptional. Still the same random terrain generation, which isn't so hot, but that Polished Landscapes mod... the colour palette, the texture design, the way the trees and plants get placed... God, some of the most gorgeous natural terrain I've ever seen in a game. The modder said the beta was just a few days' work and it still puts Oblivion to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Rooks View Post
                        Vanilla is somewhat limited - God, I wish it had a story! - and pig-ugly but Jesus, there's nothing quite like the combat. Basic animations and textures aside the feel of it is simply astonishing. I screw up cutting people down on horseback all the time but when I get it right there's few things more satisfying in any game I've ever played.

At ?24.99 I still think it's priced too high, but I picked it up for less than a fiver in a Steam weekend sale and couldn't be happier. Not to mention that with Graphical Enhancements 2.5 + Polished Landscapes + Polished Buildings + HD Skyboxes + HD Worldmap the battle engine looks exceptional. Still the same random terrain generation, which isn't so hot, but that Polished Landscapes mod... the colour palette, the texture design, the way the trees and plants get placed... God, some of the most gorgeous natural terrain I've ever seen in a game. The modder said the beta was just a few days' work and it still puts Oblivion to shame.
                        Were those mods easy to install? I didn't realize there were mods to improve the graphics of the base game. I will have to look for those.
                        Just tried the warband beta but couldn't see any games to join. Guess I was late to the party on that one

Comment

Getting Polished Landscapes and Polished Buildings to work was a little tricky, and getting them to work together was a pain in the backside. The guy who did them is obviously pretty damned talented but he doesn't work very fast - they're both definitely unfinished betas - and he doesn't package his mods in the 'approved' way others do. The other three were pretty easy, though. Just GE2.5 will make the game look a lot better than vanilla, if you're struggling at all.

EDIT: Here is the NeoGAF thread for Polished Landscapes - some decent screens in there, plus a comparison at the end for people who don't know what vanilla looks like. Pretty, no? It's hardly photorealistic, but you can see why people might think they were photos.

Comment

Wow those polished landscapes are mad. Hope they don't bring down the performance as I am currently getting silky smooth on max settings.
                            I installed the enhanced graphics 2.5 no probs. Got a little lost at first as the default install location didn't match my steam install.
                            I also found some games on warband. That's a great multiplayer experience. I was playing as an archer when some guy on a horse charged me. I fired a shot at him but it hit his horse in the head by mistake. Horse went down but the rider then charged at me on foot and cut me down. Such a low profile game but a true gem of a gaming moment. I hope this game gets some success when it's launched

Comment

Heh, I do get some occasional nasty frame rate dips in big battles with everything on at 1920x1080. More than worth putting up with, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X