No announcement yet.

An arcade stick thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you'll be very happy with the EX2.

As for Mad Catz, it seems their initial 'only 3000 being made of each' was either an elaborate ploy to create an artificial shortage or was honestly a slip-up (I reckon the first one!) as their official stance was something along the lines of 'we didn't say we were only going to make 3000!'

They are making more. I'd reckon they'll probably be manufacturing them for a while now at least, until every man and his dog has one.

Comment

Got my MadCatz SE today and, despite grand claims that I was going to play SFIV into the small hours, I've had a quick go and think it's pretty decent (I blame the man-flu - struggling to stay awake). Took a little time to get used to the stick having come from a pad but having all 6 buttons in front is so much more preferable to them being all over the place.

I think I might order some different colour buttons and stick soon though as the White ones are a bit dull.

All-in-all a thumbs up from me. Especially as I didn't think I'd get one!

Comment

Comment

Whose is that?
          Last edited by randombs; 27-03-2009, 03:52. Reason: I spelt whose wrong

Comment

Someone I know on another forum , haha . he just took a kit you can buy online and .. uh.. did his own art

I wish it was mine though

Comment

It's so wicked! And oops I spelt whose wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                Someone I know on another forum , haha . he just took a kit you can buy online and .. uh.. did his own art

I wish it was mine though
                Do you know which kit mate as i need to make one as a birthday present for a mate, that looks perfect?

Comment

Best stick ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                    Do you know which kit mate as i need to make one as a birthday present for a mate, that looks perfect?
                    It was a place in the US and they sell premade kits or ones you build yourself, they pretty much sell out as soon as advertised though. I'll try find a link

edit: http://www.norrisarcadesticks.com/

Comment

I have a Kaytrim on the way, but word is that they aren't as nice as Norris ones.

Check this Norris out
                      Last edited by Geezer; 27-03-2009, 13:07.

Comment

I'm having trouble finding a new Hori EX2 for the 360. Do import ones work on UK Xbox 360s. Does anyone know where you can buy one from (new)? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                          I'm having trouble finding a new Hori EX2 for the 360. Do import ones work on UK Xbox 360s. Does anyone know where you can buy one from (new)? Thanks.
                          Import ones will work fine, Peripherals arent locked to specific regions.

Not sure on where to source UK one's but you could try Play-Asia or Yes Asia for Japan ones.

Neil

Comment

Thanks for the help - I will have a look

Comment

Outside is done, but does anybody have any pro tips on soldering...

The story so far is here:

I'm switching the art, buttons and ball top on my 360 EX2 stick from Hori to Sanwa Arcade parts. Never done anything like this before so thought it would be fun to document the WIN/PHAIL...
                              Last edited by spagmasterswift; 05-04-2009, 19:16.

Comment

That joystick is stunning! As for the soldering:

Flux is your friend.

And I don't mean the teeny tiny amount that comes in the solder. I saw you're having trouble soldering the button legs back to the board?

Solder sticks to 'wet' things, and flux basically wets whatever you put it on. If the solder isn't sticking to some metal, it's because the metal is 'dry'. It also lessens the amount of time needed to hold the soldering iron in place which helps protect the electronics. Last thing you'd want to find is that you melted the switch inside the Sanwa button after holding the iron on the leg for too long!

Nowadays I'll never solder without using flux paste.

Ideally try and get flux paste from an electronics/hardware shop. I bought a tiny tub of it and it's brilliant. Maplin sells flux pens, I haven't seen if they do the paste itself.

The thing to remember with flux, though, is that it starts corroding the parts if you don't clean it off with isopropyl alcohol or similar. It's a slow process, but it's better to just clean it. I opened an XBox I'd modded (using flux) a year later and the wiring looked like it was mouldy!

Maplin also sells no-clean flux pens which don't need to be cleaned, but I prefer the paste as the pen liquid seems to dry quite quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X