Ultimate DS games: Your nominations needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate DS games: Your nominations needed

It strikes me that every other week there's a thread that says "what DS games should I get?" "What XBLA games should I get?" "What PS3 games should I get?" ad infinitum.

What we need, is a constantly updated thread of what the top five DS games are in every genre; a one stop thread so that people can instantly see what the ultimate DS games are; a thread that people can be pointed to every time the situation arises. Then we need one for other consoles, but it's probably best to work on these one at a time because it's going to be an excellent thread, a lot of work, not just a list of games!

So, get your nominations in now! Tell me the game, then what I need is screenshots, and most importantly, the reason why your suggestion is amongst the top five games in that genre. A sentence or two. Any suggestions with no accompanying text will be disregarded because they don't really help anyone. Your text will be included in t'thread.

Suggestions for genres too might be helpful, in case I've missed anything blatant.

RPG
    Puzzle
    Action
    Platformer
    Music
    Racing
    Strategy
    Sports
    Shooting
    Fighters

Nominate as many games as you like, when I've got enough, I'll start the official thread and discussion can move there

Then I'll keep it updated. Every time a new game comes out, if it's better than what's on the list, it'll take its place.

Now, go!
    Last edited by toythatkills; 17-05-2009, 20:43.

Electroplankton
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Big Bang Mini
    Soul Bubbles

Comment

What did he just say?

Anyway, I nominate Picross DS as number one puzzle game (though I'm sure it will get knocked down by Loopop Cube, at the very least, and probably by other picross games too). In my opinion the controls are totally fine and easy to get on with, there's a huge number of puzzles, including some nintendo themed ones, the presentation is really great, and it's very satisfying when you make a breakthrough and start filling in squares using nothing but pure logic.

Comment

Heh, I'm the last person you'd want to be doing this list if you want Picross DS in it

Comment

Puzzle- professor layton and the curious village - superb characterisation,awesome animation and brilliant voice acting which nails the characters,brilliant story and some mind-bending devilous puzzles that all the family can enjoy.

Fighters - Bleach Dark Souls - Well now has 44 characters to choose from,the anime is awesome the sprits and background work look sweet, it has strategy too with card combos and its made by Treasure need i say more?

Racing - Trackmania DS - race at breathtaking speeds, over 100 tracks, in varying environments rally,desert,stadium, different game modes race platform puzzle,its challenging trying to get all the medals and its got that addictive 1 more go,which you can with the instant re start, its digital racing crack
          Last edited by MisterBubbles; 17-05-2009, 21:37.

Comment

cod4 for shooters - really underrated game. very pretty, controlls work well, apart from the melee events - good variety of levels, huge amount of vo, just really really great

Comment

RPG -The World Ends With You

Brilliant design, engrossing plot, incredibly original, great use of dual screens

Puzzle - Professor Layton

Perfectly picked selection of Logic puzzles, great atmosphere and an interesting story

Action - Kirby Power Paintbrush

Always a vague genre, Kirby Power Paintbrush because it doesn't fit any other category. Fun and challenging without being frustrating, perfect use of the touch screen.

Music - Oudendan or Elite Beat Agents

Great fun and incredibly addictive, if incredibly frustrating on later stages.

Racing - Mario Kart DS

If it wasn't for the snaking and no battle mode net play, this would be the best version of the game.

Strategy - Advanced wars DS

A bit imbalanced with two insane difficulty spikes in the campaign, it's still among the best turn based strategy games around.

Comment

Shooter - Bangai-o Spirits
                Controls great. Action is really frantic and tense. It's broken up into short stages, some divided by theme - from straight out action to puzzlers. Stages can be difficult, but some barely last more than a few seconds, so it's perfect for portable gaming. Of course, it's easy to sink hours in.

And finally, you can take a baseball bat and whack footballs into giant robots and send them bouncing around the screen.

RPG - Dragon Quest IV/V
                One of the most popular RPG series out there for a reason. Brilliant script, with lots of character, unlike almost every other RPG. Combat is solid, and difficulty just about right. The Dragon Quest games always strike a good balance between being too linear and too open - there are always side-quests etc to do outside the main quest, but you've always got a course to follow at the same time.

I'll try and post some images later.

Comment

Puzzler nominations:
                  Loopop Cube - for sheer brain-hurting "looks easier than it is".
                  Slitherlink - Another excellent Hudson translation of a paper game to the screen.

Action:
                  Grant Theft Auto Chinatown Wars - It's both old style and introduces new things at the same time. Never feels like a cut-down version of the console ones.
                  Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - I find it much more enjoyable than the others. Excellet music and art and lots of little extras and tweaks to keep you interested.

Shooter:
                  Surely Space Invaders Extreme is up there.

Comment

Right, nominations still needed. Here's what I've got so far...

RPG
                    TWEWY
                    Pokémon

???
                    ???
                    ???

RPG Remakes
                    CT
                    DQIV
                    DQV
                    FFIV

???

Puzzle
                    Loopop Cube
                    A Picross game
                    Nurikabe

Slitherlink
                    Layton

Action/Arcade
                    Planet Puzzle League
                    Zookeeper
                    ???
                    ???
                    ???

Adventure
                    COD4
                    Phoenix Wright series

Zelda: PH
                    GTA: CW
                    ???

Platformer
                    New Mario
                    Kirby Canvas Curse

Castlevania PoR
                    Kirby Mouse Attacks
                    Hatsworth

Music
                    Electroplankton
                    Ouendan/EBA series
                    Korg DS-10
                    Band Brothers
                    Rhythm Heaven/Paradise/Tengoku Gold

Sport/Racing
                    Trackmania DS
                    Mario Kart DS
                    ???
                    ???
                    ???

Strategy
                    Advance Wars DS
                    Advance Wars Dark Conflict
                    Disgaea
                    Anno 1701
                    ???

Shooting
                    Space Invaders Extreme
                    Big Bang Mini
                    Bangai-O Spirits
                    Ketsui Death Label
                    Geo Wars Galaxies

Fighting
                    Bleach Dark Souls
                    JUMP! Superstars
                    ???
                    ???
                    ???

Other
                    Soul Bubbles
                    Retro Game Challenge
                    English of the Dead
                    Animal Crossing: WW
                    42 classics
                    Air Traffic Chaos

Here's what I still need.

Any game in black needs a quote. If anyone wants to explain in a couple of lines why x game is so good, do so. If not, I'll steal from the first play thread/ntsc-uk review where possible.

I need a few more games in the categories with question marks.

If anyone feels that there are major games missing in full categories, now's the time to state your case! Especially the RPG category. It's a bit square-centric for my liking, there must be other games out there? Actually, yeah, I've added RPG remakes as a genre and shoved 'em there. May change it back if there's not enough other RPGs recommended...

Something to call "adventure" to encompass all those games.

Hopefully I can get the main thread up later today or tomorrow if people can help me out with the above.

Thanks!

Comment

Post this in here after the PM frm Toysthatkill. Comments for the games he requested I comment on

Shooting: Ketsui Death Label - Crazy boss rush shoot 'em up with fantastic graphics and sound. You'd think that it'd get boring pretty quickly as it's only boss fights but the time flys by whenever I put this in the machine! Trying to figure out the quickest way to destroy each boss is good fun and you get a real feeling of achievement when you bump the game up a difficulty level and achieve another high score.

Action/Adventure: Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars

Platformer: Kirby Mouse Attacks

Racing: Mario Kart DS

Sports: Mario Slam Basketball

Fighting: JUMP! Superstars - Loads of characters, simple controls and great 2D graphics make this the best fighter on the DS. Facing off random Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Black Cat characers against each other and calling in support from a plethora of other Shonen Jump faces is pure fan service and really shines in multiplayer (where I easily kick my brothers ass!! )

RPG: Dragon Quest 4 / 5

Strategy: Advance Wars Dark Conflict

Puzzle: English of the Dead - Like HotD2 but you use the touchscreen to write leters and words to kill the zombies. Difficulty ranges from writing the letter on the screen to kill the little slugs through to listening to what the announcer says and then writing it in English to kill the chainsaw baddies (I'm sure it's a lot more difficult if you're not a native English speaker). There are also sections where you have to put a sentence into the correct order for it to make sense to do damage to enemies.

Music: Ouendan 1 / 2

Comment

Ace, many cheers

Don't suppose you could say something about Kirby, too?

Comment

lol, phoenix wright and cod4 in the same category? something has gone wrong here

Comment

I had them together as "Action/adventure" games, since Phoenix Wright is an adventure game, and COD4 is action/adventure. Then I changed the genre. In case you didn't notice, I did already acknowledge that this needed fixing

Comment

aren't there enough fps and point n click style adventures to have 2 separate categories? Although actually those categories would probably consist of all the games available in that genre.

Comment

Working...
                              X