Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downsides to getting a US DSi?

I'm thinking of getting a US DSi...
    I presume it'll be cheaper, the content on the store will hopefully be better..

I currently don't own a DS and I *have* to have one for Dragon Quest IX (maybe I should wait for a US/UK release to buy a DS?).

Anyone know of any downsides to buying a US DSi?
    Where's a good place to get one from?
    What kind of price should I expect to pay?

I'd really appreciate some help on this - it's been quite a while since I've imported a console..

It costs around the same to get a DSi from the US as it does from here, more if you consider the price they sell for on this forum and others. VG+ will offer the best deal.

Advantages though, the store is better (though this could change, of course), you can get a snazzy blue one, Nintendo points are a fair bit cheaper. There's not that much going for it, really, but I'd import anyway.

Disadvantages, it might break one day...

Comment

Downside = customs, shipping and warranty.

Upside... Not really any at the moment. You may get parts of the mediocre DSiware catalogue a week or two faster but that's about it. It's possible DSi only carts may be region coded in which case it'd be a significant advantage but, as of yet, I don't believe there's a single DSi only title in development (and I've a suspicion that if there is, it'll be a picture taking title).

DQ IX is local multiplayer only, it's vague possible that the EU and US versions are incompatible but that'll be down to the carts rather than the DS(i).

All really depends on if the DSi exclusive features actually become worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        DQ IX is local multiplayer only, it's vague possible that the EU and US versions are incompatible but that'll be down to the carts rather than the DS(i).
        Wow. That completely put me off - and that's something I didn't even consider - I'm glad I posted now!

Comment

^Just to clarify, it still has single player. It just only has local multiplayer rather than online multiplayer.

EDIT - I think I misinterpreted your post, don't mind me!
          Last edited by sj33; 27-07-2009, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by InvisibleKid View Post
            Wow. That completely put me off - and that's something I didn't even consider - I'm glad I posted now!
            The region of your DSi won't affect that, the region of the game will. Two PAL DQIXs will always work together, regardless of the region of the DSi itself.

Also, you won't get charged customs from VG+.

Also, the DSiWare catalogue being a) mediocre? No. b) games one or two weeks early? Well, the best games on the service (outside Japan) have been out in the US for months now with no sign of a PAL release.

Comment

Ah I'm glad someone started this Lind of thread, the red jpn model has been calling.
              Only thing against is that I can get a uk model online for under £100 now

Comment

Japanese ones can't be switched into English, as far as I know, so that might be a reason not to get a Japanese model.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  ... I can get a uk model online for under ?100 now
                  Where from?!

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post

Also, the DSiWare catalogue being a) mediocre? No.
                    It's comprised of barebones, single mode puzzle games, pay for demos and alarm clocks.

The best game I've played on it is pictopict which is far too short and lacks an endless mode. I don't consider there anything really worth getting the wallet out for yet.

Comment

Mighty Flip Champs, Mario vs. DK, and Brain Training Express Math all prove your theory wrong.

Yes, there are ****e demos, barebones puzzle games and clocks, but there're some ace games too. 'course, you'll need a US DSi for the good stuff at present.

Comment

I wouldn't consider any of those killer apps, especially considering one of them is a stripped down DS game which cheesy cameras functionality and the other is a 'remix' of an existing game.

Puzzle games are all well and good but almost every title on the DSi that isn't worthless is a high concept puzzle game. The only announced title in memory that isn't is phantasy star zero and that's a glorified demo.

Comment

Brain Training isn't stripped down. Aside from Sudoku, it contains as much content as the retail BT games. MvsDK has tons of new content, and is a new game, closer to a sequel than a remix.

Comment

Originally posted by InvisibleKid View Post
                            Where from?!

Comment

If that's in the trading thread.. I don't have permission yet. :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X