New to Virtua Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Virtua Fighter

As I've always been fascinated by the series, but never actually got around to playing it,I decided to pick up VF5 for the PS3. Loaded it up and decided to stick with Shun. Played through arcade mode but as soon as i reach Akira, i constantly get my arse handed to me.

Any tips guys for newbie Virtua Fighter players? I guess the biggest difference for me is that I'm not used to having a guard button and am constantly pressing back, but overall the game seems very overwhelming at the moment..

Best tip I can think of is to pick up a copy of VF4 Evo and go through the training mode. It is FANTASTIC, and will teach you all kind of techniques to use and give you an idea of the unique traits of VF.

It was a big disappointment that they didn't include a similar mode with VF5.

The PS3 is crying out for an updated version.. especially since they even went as far as making a special peripheral for it. come on Sega what's happened to you?

Comment

I was disappointed with the PS3 version of VF5. Some of the characters attacks make contact when visibly they don't if that makes sense. It didn't feel like it had been tuned well enough. I'm certainly no VF expert though.

Comment

I don't really play as Shun so am not familiar with all his moves but have completed Arcade mode with him. Akira can inflict a lot of damage very quickly so the key is to avoid getting hit ( obvious, I know). Keep out of the way of his attacks using back dashes and side steps and then counter quickly with some fairly simple combos e.g. PPPK, PPP<K, PPP>K etc. If you're not used to guarding with a guard button, as opposed to simply hitting back, then try to get used to it as it will minimise the damage you receive and provide you with an opening to attack.

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with Shun will be able to provide some better tips but the above worked for me, at least at the Normal difficulty setting.

Good luck It's worth perservering as the game is, IMO, worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
          Best tip I can think of is to pick up a copy of VF4 Evo and go through the training mode. It is FANTASTIC, and will teach you all kind of techniques to use and give you an idea of the unique traits of VF.

It was a big disappointment that they didn't include a similar mode with VF5.

The PS3 is crying out for an updated version.. especially since they even went as far as making a special peripheral for it. come on Sega what's happened to you?
          This. VF4 Evo is one of the best fighting games ever made. It's training mode is SUPERB.

I too was truely disappointed by VF5. Sad, so sad.

Comment

Not that I want to discourage you using him but I can't say I could recommend Shun Di to a VF newcomer. You'd be better off with Jacky, Pai, Brad or even Lion to get to grips with the game. Keep well away from Alkira and Goh too.

Comment

Working...
            X