an idiot enquires about PS3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an idiot enquires about PS3...

What with the increase of harddrive capacity to 250 gigs, are Sony pre-empting that the PS3 back-catalogue will be fully downloadable in the future? I ask because I want to get one but not right now. And if I can hold off a while (a couple of years or even as end-of-generation approaches) and just download all the 'by-then' classics/exclusives in one blast, that would be pretty attractive for me. It's part of my new personal policy on generation lag combined with creeping stinginess - haha!

Anyway, if anyone has any insider views or is just plain clairvoyant, I'd be interested to hear...

Bigger numbers are better in a shoppers eyes, half the people buying a console have no idea about storage space - it just sounds better to them, I think the reason these size upgrades are coming out is just because storage is getting cheaper.

Comment

I'd be amazed if they don't. MS are already doing it on the 360 and not just for their own titles, plus Sony have done more than most with the PSP Go!

However don't expect downloadable titles to be cheaper than disc versions, especially second hand copies.
      Last edited by Brats; 20-10-2009, 11:50.

Comment

I always figured they were prepairing the way to release downloadable ps3 adapted PS2 games.

Comment

Alot of people in my experience install their own hard-drive themselves anyway. Maybe it's to appeal to these people. Also to trump the 360, after all 250>120, right? (Till the super-elite takes off)

Comment

HDD capacity is getting cheaper and low capacity ones are being phased out. It is probably cheaper for sony to use 250GB than insisting on 60GB/120GB drives from their suppliers.

Comment

Until they start releasing full games for download then a stock HDD is more than enough.

I downloaded so much stuff after putting a 160GB in my 20GB machine and along with all the movies, pictures and music on there, I still have about 100GB left.

In all honestey I can only see them releasing the older titles for download at first but surely those '25GB' games wouldn't be practical, especially as say, 250GB drives aren't in reality 250GB?

Comment

The fact that you can use any standard 2.5" SATA hard drive means you don't need to worry about what size you buy now - you can always upgrade later. It's not like the 360, where the cost of upgrading the HDD is quite prohibitive.

That said, the Blu-Ray drive is going nowhere, so by time you do buy a PS3, the disc-based games will be so cheap that digital version will seem somewhat silly.

Comment

Ta for info, guys. Lots to think about...

Comment

Yes and SATA HD drives are pretty cheap now, i got a 350Gb for £80 delivered and still have 100Gb left.

Comment

I got a launch 60Gb and last Summer, I was not that near filling it but saw a 320Gb drive for £50 so bought it. I would have filled it by now and so would not recommend waiting. I too the 60 out, put it in a USB enclosure and use that as storage anyway. Job done.

Comment

Working...
                      X