Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSVita (Successor to PSP, was PSP2 then NGP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully it'll have save states, a suspend or sleep mode or something sensible that will allow you to get off the bus without frantically trying to save and quit.

Comment

I'm really interested in the rear touchscreen features. It might give the games a very unique way of playing. Imagine playing a FPS where you aim and move with your index fingers, leaving your thumbs and the face-buttons free. Could be awesome. If it however doesn't really add anything, I think it will be a bit stale. Simply a beefed up PSP is not something I really need.

Comment

Serious late night question with PSP2 details/news incoming.
        Would a lack of physical media put you off the PSP2?

Comment

Unless the console was something special, it might put me off buying one at launch at the very least, since we can assume RRP for all games.

If it turns out that Sony can operate the digital store as well as Valve manages Steam, it would be worth shelling out for.

Comment

Surely itd be more like a touchpanel on the back (like a laptop mousepad) than touchscreen?

Comment

Purely from imagining I don't think I'd get on with a touchpanel on the rear if it was used for directional control. Just twiddling my fingers on my left hand alone as though I was using my fore finger to control and thumb to trigger loses all co-ordination and feels like my hand is spasming. Just put a decent analogue on there. Touch panels in general aren't even that good.

As for the physical media question, yes, I'd skip it by a country mile. The Go gave all the evidence needed that Sony's approach to digital formats isn't anywhere near ready, the pricing couldn't be further from structured, retailers wouldn't fully support it and the public doesn't care about a digital only handheld format. People have gotten too used to the idea of comparing the DS and PSP markets to the iPhone market which has always been a really poor comparison and doesn't hold up to the situation Nintendo and Sony face. I imagine PSP2 will use some sort of memory stick format this time.
              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 13-01-2011, 09:20.

Comment

Personally the more important question for me is the games Sony are working on and their third party support. I'd hope these would take center stage at it's unveiling.

Sonys problem is that Nintendo did such a good job of putting together a great line up of releases, especially from third parties.

Comment

Does Sony have it in them to cut out retail and risk their wrath? Some retailers have even threatened to boycott games that use Steamworks.

I can't see Sony doing that, but if they did, I know it would only take 1 must-have game for me to cave and grab a PSP2.

Comment

It's symptomatic of the whole digital only idea for the industry. A major factor in their retail power is stores like GAME, Gamestation, Gamestop etc where the main money driver is the software. A digital only format would pretty much shut these stores and therefore reduce the amount of exposure and shelf space the hardware gets, getting a knock on effect on software sales as a result.

Purely from a practicality point of view, until music and film achieve full digital distribution games achieving it is just a pipe dream. With the Go Sony at least had the 3000 to fall back on, they couldn't afford to ever do a digital only handheld unless they were fine with handing a massive chunk of market share to Nintendo. Same rule applies to consoles, the system supporting physical discs would always sell more.

Comment

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

MCV is saying that it'll be out by Christmas and will look similar to the old PSP. It's got a HD screen, twin analogues and uses physical media. Also, that it's as powerful as a PS3... which is obviously bulls**t

Still, it seems they're chasing power again which means going off the PS3, PSP, PSPGo and 3DS pricing we might as well throw a ball park price out as £399.99

Comment

I actually really hoped they would keep the PSPGo-style design that it previously had, though apparently it was the main cause of the overheating issues.

Comment

It's going to have to be minimum £300, that's the absolute best you're looking at. And that's if they (Sony) want to take a massive hit themselves.

I'll take a guess at umm.. £380. And they'll still be taking a big loss at that.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with but based on the 3DS's direction for ability and price point I don't even need to think about it to know I won't be buying the PSP2 when it comes out... not unless the rumours are all wrong and it's some cheaper alternative.

Comment

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Another 'insider' claiming that the graphics difference between PSP2 and 3DS is huge. It's interesting that if these claims are genuine they're focused on processing power rather than anything unique as a selling point the system has for Sony to focus on, a mistake they've made twice already as a company.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                                It'll be interesting to see what they come up with but based on the 3DS's direction for ability and price point I don't even need to think about it to know I won't be buying the PSP2 when it comes out... not unless the rumours are all wrong and it's some cheaper alternative.
                                I think SONY are more than wise to know anything coming it at a wallet busting price point is not going to cut it, when it's launching after the 3DS and we already have the I-Pad ECT on the Market . Didn't we have all these scary stories with the PSP , and that came at not much more than the DS.

I bet it come in at the £300 price tops (more so with launching the 3DS ) It will no doubt wipe the floor with the 3DS spec's . Just hope SONY fix the loading issues/times and the need for a 2nd Analogue pad . which are my own issues with the original PSP : that just happens to be one of the best hand-held's I've ever owned

Comment

Working...
                                X