Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSVita (Successor to PSP, was PSP2 then NGP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, definately physical media will be the main storage method. The track pad at the rear sounds a bit naff and pointless. I'm finding the PSP2 a bit of a strange proposition. On the one hand I can see why Sony needs to ready it, on the other side everything sounds phenomenally underwhelming and redundant about it. More grunt and a bigger screen? Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
      Please let it have two analog sticks or similar, but preferably not nubs.
      What's the betting that this is once again left off

Physical sale for games via M2 cards could bring the size of slot needed right down thus saving space?

Comment

I'm having a hard time figuring it out (yes, even with the mock-up on the link). The backside trackpad thing sounds really odd and I would have thought could be a source of constant frustration if how you hold it messes with controls. And bigger screen=bulk. I would have thought a hi-res version of their current screen size would have been better. But then I think the iPad is a device born of pure lunacy and that is selling like hotcakes (not quite sure the sale of cakes should be a benchmark). On top of that, it's not even out yet and battery life (the bane of the first PSP) is already being brought up as a problem.

Comment

Digital distribution works if the price is < I can buy it in a shop. Not < RRP (that'd be a start mind). What is so difficult for Sony to understand about that? Valve understand it. Apple iPhone devs understand it - Hey, if we charge a quid for this *good* game then maybe lot of people will buy it. Moreso than if we charge &#163;30. Yay!

Sony seem to be expecting me to pay EXTRA for the CONVENIENCE of buying a game that I can not EVER sell on. </nerd rage>

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
            Digital distribution works if the price is < I can buy it in a shop. Not < RRP (that'd be a start mind). What is so difficult for Sony to understand about that? Valve understand it. Apple iPhone devs understand it - Hey, if we charge a quid for this *good* game then maybe lot of people will buy it. Moreso than if we charge ?30. Yay!

Sony seem to be expecting me to pay EXTRA for the CONVENIENCE of buying a game that I can not EVER sell on. </nerd rage>
            Based on interviews with and talks by indie developers for the iPhone, many of the big guys absolutely hate the cheap pricing - and they especially despise the fact that we not only like it, have come to expect it.

I keep hearing snippets of bitching in articles and video talks, about the "race to the bottom" pricing structure and how it's ruining everything (or at least their expected profit margins).

I don't really have much sympathy for them though, since the majority of junk I wouldn't even pay a quid for.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
              Digital distribution works if the price is < I can buy it in a shop. Not < RRP (that'd be a start mind). What is so difficult for Sony to understand about that? Valve understand it. Apple iPhone devs understand it - Hey, if we charge a quid for this *good* game then maybe lot of people will buy it. Moreso than if we charge ?30. Yay!

Sony don't set prices on PSN titles or pressure publishers to release games at a certain price point. If a publisher wants to release a game at $20 or $40 etc. they're free to do so.

Comment

It's sony's platform. They Either shouldn't have let publisher's set their own prices, or - if they knew third party publishers weren't going to play ball then abandoned the concept all together. They knew first party titles couldn't sustain the platform on their own and as soon as gamers realised that games cost more on psn than on umd they would let the platform die.

Comment

It is ironic that Microsoft take the opposite approach with XBox Live (they have complete control over the pricepoints, as everything is published via them), yet they suffer from the same problem with regards to pricing. I guess the difference is that the 360's success doesn't hinge on digital content.

Looking at Steam and the amount of special offers they have, it's funny what a bit of healthy competition in the digital space can do.

Comment

The issue really is that the publishers have no reason to drop the prices they're asking for downloadable games, if they didn't feel that they were benefiting from the prices they are at then the prices would surely drop.

I honestly think that the publishers favour selling via retail stores at the moment even though the benefits to them could be a greater if they fully supported a download market. Maybe they're a little wary of upsetting retailers at such an early point of the download market.

I'd rather just completely remove high street retailers, partly as they are so often but not always staffed by people who just don't know what the hell they're talking about. I try not to use them if I can as going from places like Game to HMV and they all seem to have the same monthly incentives running on the same games so the staff all try to sell you exactly the same products as something wonderful irrelevant of the quality of that product.

I honestly don't think there is any real need for retail shops now and I prefer to download when ever possible. I'd much prefer to download, pay extra and lose the benefits of trading in the games if only for the benefit of not having to visit those shops.

EDIT:
                    Also the benefits of not having all that needless packaging produced is another plus for me.
                    Last edited by JP; 25-10-2010, 19:12.

Comment

I would agree with you John if, overnight, ALL the costs of putting games through retail were sliced off the download price. Given that places like Shopto.net will sell new, boxed games for about 30 notes I have in my head a MAXIMUM price of &#163;25 but more likely &#163;20. &#163;20 for a brand new release? I'd have bought Castlevania and Fallout already. As it stands I've bought neither. All from my own perspective of course.

Comment

Yup, if PSP2 is download only then it would be a no sell for me too. The prices on the games would have to be significantly less to make me consider. It's not just the trade values, when I'm spending significant amounts of notes I want the hard copy. There isn't a single download service that I have faith in enough for me to be dependent upon. As big as the download aspect has become for some industries I have no issue downloading a music single, phone app, film rental but if I want an album, game, own a film then it's physical media all the way and I doubt I'm going to change on that. The download only future view has always reminded me of all the old 'death of the high street', 'fall of the cinema' arguments back in the day which never came to pass. It's a valid optional method of distribution but will never become the sole option and none of the Big 3 will bring themselves to turn their back on the retailers as it would effectively cut them out the market.

Comment

Oh, and the ability so play foreign games. Don't make me switch accounts!

Comment

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Rumoured now to be as powerful as Xbox 360. Next up, battery life of 40 minutes!!

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                              http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=272529

Rumoured now to be as powerful as Xbox 360. Next up, battery life of 40 minutes!!
                              and a 5kg external PSU...

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                                http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=272529

Probably means it has the same level of shader support.

Doesn't really matter though as time and again Nintendos technically inferior handhelds have vastly outsold the competition. It's all about the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X